Ubisoft abandons Watch Dogs trademark

• 99 results
#51 Edited by real_jones (29 posts) -

I don't think this is cancelled, And as for assassins creed 5 I don't think so, but (AC4 Spoilers) it is in the same world as Abstergo, just inform those who don't know the cios system that is used in the city of chicago, and is hacked, is in Ac4 as a product made by Abstergo

#52 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Game was far too playable to be scrapped now, unless all the footage they showed was pre-rendered.

#53 Posted by Onomatopoeia (101 posts) -

@snail said:

Maybe there's a plot point that ties Watch_Dogs to the Assassin's Creed franchise

Isn't there something in Black Flag that does this?

#54 Posted by Sackmanjones (4784 posts) -

Meh I'm sure the game is fine. Maybe they are changing the name or have other ideas. Just gotta wait and see

#55 Edited by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

@onomatopoeia said:

@snail said:

Maybe there's a plot point that ties Watch_Dogs to the Assassin's Creed franchise

Isn't there something in Black Flag that does this?

Yeah, there's several things in AC4 to tie it to Watch Dogs:

• You can find some marketing material from the Bloom Corporation for the CtOS surveillance system if you hack a particular terminal.
  • One of the primary plot points outside of the Animus involves you getting the location of an Abstergo investors meeting and giving it to the Assassins. That meeting is in Chicago which is the main setting for Watch Dogs. The head of Abstergo Entertainment that attends the meeting is assumed to be killed by the Assassins, so it's not too hard to imagine a hypothetical mission in Watch Dogs where you kill him.
Moderator Online
#56 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

well, I guess back to being Driver Chicago?

#57 Posted by Scrawnto (2462 posts) -

Watch Dog Saga?

Candy_Dogs?

#58 Posted by Superfriend (1579 posts) -

There's zero chance of this being cancelled so I'm not too worried.

Remember Prey 2. Never forget.

#59 Posted by subyman (654 posts) -

Good, the name was terrible.

#60 Posted by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

@subyman said:

Watch Dogs does seem like a clever name that some programmer came up with, and for some reason it just took a long time for somebody to speak up and say that most people don't know what a watchdog timer is.

Moderator Online
#61 Posted by ottoman673 (558 posts) -

The game has to come out, right? We've seen too much of it for it not to

#62 Posted by sodapop7 (285 posts) -

Isn't this a big deal? Didn't they do a fair amount of marketing already? I'm very interested to figure out what's going on, it's got to be something more than just the name right? If it's just changing the name it may one of the dumber things I've heard in a while.

#63 Posted by Bicycle_Repairman (214 posts) -

Its being renamed : Spectating_Cats

all because if you get 100% in black flag you get a multiple choice question between cat or dog.... they said they would use the feedback.

#64 Posted by JayEH (538 posts) -

@snail: AC4 already tied the two universes together

#65 Posted by daggon55 (114 posts) -

A new branding opportunity opened up, get ready for Swatch_Dogs. Everything happens in internet time.

#66 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

@subyman said:

Watch Dogs does seem like a clever name that some programmer came up with, and for some reason it just took a long time for somebody to speak up and say that most people don't know what a watchdog timer is.

That is chin strokingly clever! dual meanings in the title is a fun little thing. I quite liked the title, had an air of big brother / 1984 about it.

#67 Posted by spraynardtatum (3508 posts) -

I hope they call it Snow Dogs in response to the Snowden revelations.

#68 Edited by Wolfgame (846 posts) -

So futuristic killing methods may one day clash with the dated daggers and swords in Assassin's Creed, I like this idea. It's like when the flintstones had a cross over with the jetsons, except much less violent.

#69 Edited by Zelyre (1259 posts) -

Candy Dogs Saga: Edge Scrolls

I'm guessing the AC series was starting to dwindle down and Ubi was looking to start up a new franchise. Black Flag probably did really well, Ubi saw no desire in dumping marketing dollars into a new IP, and will change Watch Dogs into AC:Future Times.

Or, with the new Sleeping Dogs possibly being a F2P IOS game where you must spend 50 dim sum to get Wei to punch faster (1 punch every 48 hours, otherwise. 999 Dim Sum $99 USD BEST VALUE!) , Ubi was afraid that, like all F2P games, Square would TM the hell out of "Interactive entertainment with player input on a control device that uses the word Dog in the title".

#70 Edited by JayEH (538 posts) -

@jimmyfenix hey there's been an update to the story. Just a heads up so you can update the OP.

Apparently, this whole thing was a mistake. Game Informer has a story where Ubisoft is saying they are trying to get back the trademark.

#71 Posted by yinstarrunner (1232 posts) -

I think "Watch_Dogs" is a fine title (sans the underscore).

If they do turn this into Assassin's Creed, I will lose whatever interest I have left in it immediately. It already looks like an AC mod, but I'm still hoping for something fundamentally different.

#72 Posted by PufferFiz (1384 posts) -

Just because you are not claiming trademark on a title does not mean you can not publish that title. That only means you have no legal protection from someone making a game with a similar title. There are a lot of titles out there that do not have a trademark attached to them.

#73 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Play Dogs

#74 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12002 posts) -

I'm calling it: Assassin's Creed V: Watch_Dogs.

#75 Edited by Bones8677 (3271 posts) -

God I hope they don't rename it to Assassin's Creed 5. Yeah there's a lot of similarities, but it appears to have AC's best parts and none of its bullshit.

#76 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -
#77 Posted by Voxus (347 posts) -

Bait and switch. Main character becomes an Assassin midgame, replaces black scarf with white scarf. Eagle noises galore.

#78 Posted by FLStyle (4842 posts) -
#79 Edited by Abendlaender (2867 posts) -

Really guys? You actually believed this? Even if Ubisoft would decide to kill the game, they would never ever ever ever abandon the trademark just like that.

#80 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

Who watches the Swatch_dawgz?

So fraudulent how? Can just any jackass with a keyboard can file to abandon a huge corporation's trademark?

Who ever did this is in big trouble for this fraud and impersonating the CEO of Ubisoft, maybe it was a disgruntled employee, but more than likely this is all a publicity stunt. The company making a game about hacking and identity theft suddenly has it's trademark abandoned by someone impersonating the CEO, how conveeeeeeeeeeeeeeenient. It kind of fits in nicely with the Watch_Dogs theme of identity thief vigilantes and Ubisoft being part of Abstergo. Like someone is after them.

#81 Edited by AMyggen (3520 posts) -

@abendlaender: Hindsight 20/20. The document looked so real that it appears that even the Patent Office believed it. People were generally saying that it made no sense, but we had no real reason to believe that this was a fraud.

Edit: The OP should be updated.

#82 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

As someone who was never interested in Watch Dogs it's not really a big deal for me. But this is all pretty weird and it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

#83 Posted by mrcraggle (1974 posts) -

@steadyingmeat said:

There's zero chance of this being cancelled so I'm not too worried.

Remember Prey 2. Never forget.

Pretty different cases. Prey 2 only existed as the E3 demo they showed off, WD on the other hand had been shown off numerous times and even had a PS4 bundle and the delay happened really late.

#84 Posted by flippyandnod (413 posts) -

@chaser324: A watchdog timer is named after a real thing, a watch dog. Like you have at junkyards and such. You don't have to be a programmer to have an appreciation for the name of the game, as it is riffing on the real-world watch dogs as much as on the computer tech thing.

#85 Edited by falserelic (5480 posts) -

We know the game and were goin to play it!

#86 Posted by LikeaSsur (1581 posts) -

@bbalpert said:

It might not be completely cancelled. It could be one of those cases where Watch Dogs died so that (some other game) might live.

Reading that page -

During early development, The Last of Us was initially conceptualized as a more realistic interpretation of the Jak & Daxter universe. As such, Jak was to be a regular human being, and Daxter would function like an ordinary weasel -- most notably lacking the ability to talk. This idea was eventually scrapped, and Naughty Dog quickly settled on creating a new IP instead.

Well, I'm really glad they changed it, because what were they originally smoking?

#87 Edited by Sinusoidal (1740 posts) -

I know for a fact that it's not canceled.

#89 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

Really guys? You actually believed this? Even if Ubisoft would decide to kill the game, they would never ever ever ever abandon the trademark just like that.

Well, it is true that someone masquerading as Ubisoft filed for a cancellation of the trademark, so it's not like there was no basis to pull the idea from. The real question (and I'm sure Ubisoft would love to know the answer to this) is who filed for the cancellation in their name? Because I'm pretty sure that forgery of such documents is a crime.

#90 Edited by Hunter5024 (5902 posts) -

What a dumb prank. What a weird story.

#91 Posted by BisonHero (6802 posts) -

@vuud: It's not a publicity stunt because if it were, multiple people at Ubisoft would be going to prison for fraud (or a similar crime). Ubisoft has a legal department, so I doubt their marketing team would be this extraordinarily stupid.

#92 Posted by TruthTellah (9419 posts) -

It's crazy that this rumor got around as it did, but I'm glad it just turned out to be a prank.

Could a mod please edit the thread title to reflect that this is a confirmed hoax?

#93 Edited by Vonocourt (2159 posts) -

@vuud said:

but more than likely this is all a publicity stunt. The company making a game about hacking and identity theft suddenly has it's trademark abandoned by someone impersonating the CEO, how conveeeeeeeeeeeeeeenient. It kind of fits in nicely with the Watch_Dogs theme of identity thief vigilantes and Ubisoft being part of Abstergo. Like someone is after them.

You don't seriously believe this right? Fucking around with the United States Patent Office doesn't seem like a good idea.

#94 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

@bisonhero: And now that it looks like it's all a hoax pushes me further into the PR stunt conspiracy theory camp. I've followed Alice down the rabbit hole and there's no going back.

#95 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@vuud said:

@bisonhero: And now that it looks like it's all a hoax pushes me further into the PR stunt conspiracy theory camp. I've followed Alice down the rabbit hole and there's no going back.

If Ubisoft perpetuated a hoax, they would face legal trouble for attempting to play with the trademark office for their personal gain. They would have absolutely nothing to gain from doing something that stupid.

#96 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

What happened to this game?

#97 Edited by mrfluke (5316 posts) -

well damm, i wanted watch dogs to tie into Assassins creed,

#98 Posted by GaspoweR (3360 posts) -

@vuud: I'm sure Ubi's legal department would probably not even let them do that. If that was the case, they'd be facing a HUGE lawsuit.

#99 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I thought I would come in here and make the Watch_Doge joke but somebody beat me to it.

Now I have no purpose but to claim I honestly, honestly thought of it first, I just didn't get chance to post it.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

#100 Posted by billymagnum (837 posts) -

According to Polygon, the original request was fraudulent, and they already petitioning the director of the USPTO to prevent the abandonment...

A new filing submitted today with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, is petitioning the director of the office to prevent the abandonment, saying that original request was fraudulent.

"On February 1, 2014, Ubisoft Entertainment received an email from TEAS@uspto.gov notifying Ubisoft Entertainment that a Request for Express Abandonment had been filed in connection with Application Serial No. 85642398," according to the filing. "The Request for Express Abandonment purports to be signed by the Chief Executive Officer of Ubisoft Entertainment, Yves Guillemot.

"Mr. Guillemot, however, did not sign the Request for Express Abandonment, nor did Ubisoft Entertainment file the Request for Express Abandonment. The Request for Express Abandonment is fraudulent and was not filed by Ubisoft Entertainment or its representative."

The petition is requesting that the director of the Patent and Trademark Office revive Ubisoft's trademark for Watch Dogs "promptly."

-maxconsole.com

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.