Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Watch Dogs

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 27, 2014

A third-person open-world game from Ubisoft, set in an alternate version of Chicago where the entire city is connected under a single network, and a vigilante named Aiden Pearce uses it to fight back against a conspiracy.

Ubisoft sends suspicious package to news office. Bad idea.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

http://mumbrella.com.au/australia-square-evcauated-bomb-squad-called-pr-agency-sends-suspicious-package-ninemsn-229352

A PR stunt for a new video game saw the bomb squad called to Ninemsn’s offices yesterday afternoon after a black safe was delivered to the Australia Square offices of the publisher along with a “suspicious” letter which told a reporter to “check your voicemail”.

However, the reporter did not have a voicemail, and when staff tried to enter a pin code taped to the top of the safe, it started to beep but did not open, leading to fears it could be an explosive device.

Mi9 staff on the sixth floor of the George Street offices were sent home, and bomb squad officers called in to open the box in the basement of the building. Inside was a copy of new Ubisoft video game Watch Dogs alongside a baseball cap and beanie, and a note saying it was embargoed until 5pm.

Hahaha, who thought sending strange packages that beep to news offices was a good idea? That's hilarious. Someones getting fired for this! Not as bad as the Hitman PR mess but still pretty bad.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

That's about as silly as naming a video game website after a large explosive device.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hailinel was right, that baseball cap is causing nothing but problems.

Also, what was the Hitman thing?

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metal_mills: Wow, what the hell were they thinking with that. :|

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

It actually reminds me of when someone put up a bunch of light brights of an Aqua Teen Hunger Force character, and Boston lost their fucking minds.

This was long before the Boston Marathon bombing, so this really was quite an overreaction, IMO.

Loading Video...

Turner Broadcasting admits "hoax" was part of a cartoon promotion.

Yep, that's the media for you.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the news stories about this incident mention watch_dogs, I would say it is a success :)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Ah, remember when EA sent out Brass Knuckles to all the press for Godfather 2 only to realize that Brack Knuckles are illegal in almost everywhere? Good times.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hah, that's a bit silly. I guess it got the media talking about it though, so... Good job?

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

How about that package of raw meat with fake bullets (dogtags?) in it for Bulletstorm? Nothing makes me want to review a game well quite like digging my hands through raw meat who's origin I'm unclear on!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warpr said:

@steadyingmeat said:

As long as the news stories about this incident mention watch_dogs, I would say it is a success :)

Considering the people behind the similar Aqua Teen Hunger Force scare had to end up paying around $2,000,000 in apology for the incident, I'm not quite sure an ad agency would want to push their luck when it comes to sending fake bombs around.

This was certainly a mistake, at least in its handling. Particularly with no attached note to help clarify what it was.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@spaceinsomniac said:

It actually reminds me of when someone put up a bunch of light brights of an Aqua Teen Hunger Force character, and Boston lost their fucking minds.

This was long before the Boston Marathon bombing, so this really was quite an overreaction, IMO.

Loading Video...

Turner Broadcasting admits "hoax" was part of a cartoon promotion.

Yep, that's the media for you.

Yeah, that was such bullshit. Like, sure, fine the company for like, "mischief" or something since obviously the light bright things had to be taken down or whatever, but it really isn't the fault of ATHF that Boston citizens are living in a fantasy world where bombs are clearly marked with glowing lights.

Pro tip: most bombers aren't the fucking Riddler, and don't put bombs in conspicuous, colourful containers. Real bombers would put bombs in unremarkable bags, boxes, or in otherwise hidden places.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Google skills are failing me but wasn't there a game a few years ago where they sent a guy into a bar waving a fake gun around in his hand? I want to say it was Max Payne 3 but I'm having trouble finding an article on it.

But in any case there have been some absurd marketing stunts pulled by game companies that's for sure. But if there is anybody less connected from reality it's marketers and advertisers, that's why when you turn on the t.v. half of the commercials for products only adults would buy are marketed like they are for children or idiots. It's a bunch of people who get paid way to much for having no idea what they are doing or anybody really wants.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Corevi

For Dante's Inferno, EA sent Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame a box that just played Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up until he smashed it with a hammer.

Probably the best thing a videogame company has sent in the mail to publications is Raiden's cyborg arm for Rising Revengeance and it had a USB cord attached to it with promo materials and a trailer.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
    BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not as stupid as sending raw meat like Bulletstorm did a while back.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro tip: most bombers aren't the fucking Riddler, and don't put bombs in conspicuous, colourful containers. Real bombers would put bombs in unremarkable bags, boxes, or in otherwise hidden places.

That's what they want you to think!

T3MPLESMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my country.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CreepingDeath0

For Dante's Inferno, EA sent Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame a box that just played Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up until he smashed it with a hammer.

This is possibly the best thing I've ever heard.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

More dumb PR-stuff. Jeff was not a fan.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a question for anyone making a bomb. Why would you make a bomb beep, or make any sound for that matter (expect the sound of a massive explosion)?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zlimness said:

More dumb PR-stuff. Jeff was not a fan.

Hmm Jeff has the same kind of leatherman I do. We also open boxes the same way.... Also yes, that is gross.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.