Watch_Dogs/Assassin's Creed IV conspiracy theory!

#1 Edited by Vovode (3 posts) -

~SPOILERS FOR WATCH_DOGS AND ALSO ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG BELOW~

So, I've got a quite frankly convoluted theory about why the Templars are somehow involved in Blume's Bellwether Project.

So, as those who finished W_D might know, at the end of the game, Maurice goes on to repeat "1, 2, 3, 5" repeatedly. The strange skipping of the number 4 and the allusion to an omnipotent group of people to which Aiden has never seen the likes of. So for some reason this got me thinking of the sticky notes in Assassin's Creed 4, the ones in Abstergo Entertainment's office.

Notes 1 and 2 are the usual "Praise Juno" malarky.

1 - "MANIFESTO OF THE INSTRUMENTS OF THE FIRST WILL writ by a TRUE DISCIPLE this day 21 October 2013 in anticipation of the anniversary of HER ASCENSION, MAY SHE GUIDE US INTO THE GREY ..."

2 - "...Being that life is both sacred and profane – priceless and worthless- fleeting and eternal we submit. Being that life can be as easily construed from primordial swamps as from a stinking Petri dish we submit. Being that THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE imbued us with life and may remove it as readily should we defy or deny their original plan we submit ..."

3 - "...Being that it is well understood that tools homes cars cutlery pencils tables books chairs domesticated animals light bulbs mobile phones sex toys vacation homes sofas lounge chairs swimming pools &c. &c. are indirect byproducts of our genotypic expressions otherwise known as extended phenotypes we submit ..."

However, the fifth one seems to get oddly relevant, especially when considered in the context of W_D's technologically advanced world and ctOS's existence.

5 - "...The machines we made shaped us in turn and took hold of our impulses and our minds small as they are and gripped us like an iron maiden bleeding us empty. It was our poor understanding of our origins that led us to originate tools we were incapable of understanding or controlling. As if the cotton gin was not enough and one day our sweaters and undershirts might talk to us! As if this were not enough!..."

I pushed this off my mind as a really big and pointless stretch, seeing as that's totally what it was. However, I was then turned on to Angela Balik's mucking about with Bellwether, the implication of the Fibonacci sequence in the code, and the Serial Killer's numbers when put in order from lowest to highest value. The numbers are "1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13". This totally confirms that Bellwether is being used for mind control purposes, and the like, but I went back to my Sticky Note theory, and number 8 gets real relevant, even mentioning computers by name.

8 - "...Take saturated fats and high fructose corn syrups which poison us and soy which has been known to make men into women. Take computers which count so fast we cannot keep up nor should we for we are an imperfect race of disgusting shells of tissue and bone incomplete in and of ourselves. We must have masters to survive. We must admit our masters ..."

I'll get back to that in a moment.

13 - "...Our purpose is not our to achieve but ours to be RECEIVED given by her Graces and Instruction. Death to the false fabricators of pleasure and indolence! The OLD ORDER must be restored the NEW ORDER destroyed. TRUE TEMPLARS dedicate to ORDER AND STABILITY AND PEACE through the application of Her Iron Will and not through the dulling satisfactions of pleasure and indolence ..."

I find it real sketchy how the eight sticky note refers to technology and computers that we can't control, especially when it's shown how easy it is for ctOS to be hacked and used for whatever's wanted of it at the time. Naturally, 13 is more Templar subjugation stuffs, but I'll address that further below.

Now, here comes my big fustercluck of a theory. Keep in mind that the "Requiescat En Pace" convoy mission in W_D proves that both games are set in the same Ubiverse, as displayed by beating Oliver Garneau to a pulp with your nightstick for the Brotherhood. (There are other references, such as Abstergo Employees and the Assassin games, but I feel the aforementioned mission is the most concrete link.)

Juno, in Black Flag, mentions that she needs an interconnected world to thrive. The Sage also backs this up, if memory serves. Naturally, this is what Blume offers in the way of ctOS. Now, Bellwether is said to be a very subliminal mind-controlling algorithm implemented by Blume, and I would like to believe that all the Sticky Notes hidden around the Abstergo Entertainment offices serve the same purpose. Why else would they be left around with such strange writing, anyways? It would make sense that if the Templars wish to subjugate the world in preparation of Juno's arrival, Blume would have the tools for it. The Sticky Notes in question, at least to me, seem to have a consistent theme, especially when given the context of Watch_Dogs, and I'd like to think the Templars are involved in Bellwether and Blume itself. There was also an email to Abstergo from Blume promoting a partnership hidden on one of the computers in the Abstergo Entertainment offices.

Long story short, I'm convinced the numbers 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, and the Sticky Notes of the same numbers in Black Flag are related, and that Blume's mysterious Bellwether is also related to the Templars or at least Juno. I know this is just rampant speculation and grasping at straws (is that the phrase?) to support my theory, but I'd love to hear what other people think! I'm totally expecting to be called out on this just being a leap of faith and having some sense metaphorically beaten into me by way of text, but I've just been sitting on this conspiracy for the better half of a day and I wanted to share.

So, with that said, have at me!

Or...don't, if I just made you roll your eyes all the way to the exit button.

Notice: It was pointed out to me that I kinda screwed up. The Instruments Of The First Will should have been my targets for this theory, not the Templars. The Instruments are more likely to have messed with the code and attempt brainwashing than the Templars.

#2 Posted by SgtSphynx (1567 posts) -

If I recall, Bellwether wasn't originally intended as a mind control program, but as a prediction algorithm. It was only through the actions of Angela Balik that the ability was discovered. Granted, I could be, and likely am remembering incorrectly.

#3 Posted by GaspoweR (3516 posts) -

@vovode: One hole in your theory is taht the Templars are not working with Juno. The people who work or worship her are a different faction altogether. That's the only thing I can contribute to this thread since I haven't played Watch Dogs.

#4 Posted by Vovode (3 posts) -

@sgtsphynx: From what I recall, which could be equally wrong, the employee who worked on Bellwether before she did (Was that Raymond Kenney? I forget.) was removed for claiming it was Mind Control, but like I said I could be wrong too.

@gaspower: Oooh, right. The Instruments, I missed that one by a mile, thank you for pointing that out! Allow me to rephrase then: Maybe the Instruments are behind the weird stuff in Blume? It still lines up, given what I found on the AC wiki.

#5 Posted by SneakyBookshelf (2 posts) -

Other than Ubi explicitly saying the two universes aren't connected a few months back my biggest problem with all of this is that the two universes don't really overlap logically. If Blume really had the ability to create something as powerful as CtOS then Abstergo would have had a finger in it's inception (seeing as they secretly own basically everything worth owning at this stage), also something this big would definitely have been picked up by Assassins at some point, sure wasn't Bill Miles in Chicago for a while in between AC2 and Revelations? It just feels like one of those "why do the Avengers never show up in the smaller movies" problems, if something as big as CtOS was going down both of the globe spanning super spy factions in the AC universe would have been more directly involved.

Unless it turns out T-Bone is an assasssin, in which case I'm All for that.

#6 Posted by SASnake (374 posts) -

Other than Ubi explicitly saying the two universes aren't connected a few months back my biggest problem with all of this is that the two universes don't really overlap logically. If Blume really had the ability to create something as powerful as CtOS then Abstergo would have had a finger in it's inception (seeing as they secretly own basically everything worth owning at this stage), also something this big would definitely have been picked up by Assassins at some point, sure wasn't Bill Miles in Chicago for a while in between AC2 and Revelations? It just feels like one of those "why do the Avengers never show up in the smaller movies" problems, if something as big as CtOS was going down both of the globe spanning super spy factions in the AC universe would have been more directly involved.

Unless it turns out T-Bone is an assasssin, in which case I'm All for that.

......and that you have to kill a character from Ass Creed 4's present day story in a Watch Dogs mission, but whatever.

#7 Posted by SneakyBookshelf (2 posts) -

@sasnake: Yeah but Blume literally had a pamphlet confirming their existance in AC4 and the announcement that "that was just an easter egg" and "ac and watchdogs do not share a universe" came after that.

Out of curiosity which mission is that? I haven't done all the sidequests yet

#8 Posted by Vovode (3 posts) -

@sneakybookshelf: Do all the Criminal Convoys, it's the 18th one and I think you'll see sasnake's point in there. It's pretty indicative of a crossover.

And T-Bone has those wrist cuff thingies, he's totally got a blade or two up there.

#9 Posted by Corevi (4956 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is also in the AC universe with the Compass and the Blade being Pieces of Eden.

#10 Edited by SgtSphynx (1567 posts) -

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if every Ubisoft game took place in the same universe.

#11 Edited by SASnake (374 posts) -

@sasnake: Yeah but Blume literally had a pamphlet confirming their existance in AC4 and the announcement that "that was just an easter egg" and "ac and watchdogs do not share a universe" came after that.

Out of curiosity which mission is that? I haven't done all the sidequests yet

It is theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, last Criminal Convoy I believe.

#12 Edited by JoseGman (1 posts) -

Well i'm a little late to the party but in Assassin's Creed: Rouge, The Templars are actually use the Instruments of the First Will to get more Pieces of Eden

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.