Watch_Dogs got a massive graphics downgrade

#101 Edited by Rowr (5862 posts) -

hilarious that the recommended pc specs for this game are beyond ridiculously high

#102 Posted by geirr (2834 posts) -

You know this same thing happened with The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in like 2006-2007, and many times since then. The console releases usually look like a PC on medium settings. I suspect maybe Ubisoft needed some more time to downgrade Watch_Dogs graphically to make framerates work on consoles, I don't know. Maybe, like with MGS4, they thought they had more power to work with.

#103 Posted by cloudnineboya (929 posts) -

Haha internet shiting in its pants agian. this time over a compressed gif.

#104 Posted by themangalist (1850 posts) -

@meatball said:

This drama is selective and fucking stupid. The game looks fine, in spite of the supposedly horrible downgrade.

Everybody panic~

It went from looking like the first real next-gen game to Sleeping Dogs quality or less.

Oh come on, Watching Dogs never looked all "first real next-gen game", it looked comparable to one of those GTA4 footage with the ENB jacked waaaay up. That's not saying it's not impressive, it's just not as amazingly "the future is here" everyone on this thread is making it up to once be.

#105 Edited by SSully (4583 posts) -

@metal_mills said:

@meatball said:

This drama is selective and fucking stupid. The game looks fine, in spite of the supposedly horrible downgrade.

Everybody panic~

It went from looking like the first real next-gen game to Sleeping Dogs quality or less.

Oh come on, Watching Dogs never looked all "first real next-gen game", it looked comparable to one of those GTA4 footage with the ENB jacked waaaay up. That's not saying it's not impressive, it's just not as amazingly "the future is here" everyone on this thread is making it up to once be.

Exactly. I thought the early videos of Watch Dogs looked interesting because of the gameplay. The graphics always looked on par to Sleeping Dogs, which is awesome! The only game that has been impressive graphically in demo's has been Infamous Second Son; hopefully that holds up well.

#106 Edited by OmegaPirate (5642 posts) -

Follow the money

#107 Edited by Brendan (8534 posts) -

The gif is too low quality for me to notice a big difference, but I'm sure if I saw a video it would look real gnarly.

#108 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2648 posts) -

Classic example.

#109 Posted by Scotto (1260 posts) -

I'd just point out that it appears those two GIFs are not identical scenes. For starters, it appears to be a different bridge in the same area (look at the minimaps). It also appears to be a different car. It also ALSO appears that there's a much bigger spotlight on the car, which would make for less "atmospheric" lighting in the surrounding area (since everything is flooded with light). It also also ALSO appears to not be raining in the new shot (or not as hard, anyway), which would affect atmospherics. Lastly, it appears that the bridge is blinking when he goes over it, for some reason. Maybe it's some sort of gameplay-related thing, or maybe it was a gnarly bug in the lighting.

Point is: Who knows. It's one video. Games never look exactly like their reveals, running on ultra high-end PCs, with specifically crafted demos. Calm the hell down. NeoGAF is going completely insane about this GIF, comparing it to a PS2 game, etc.

#110 Posted by RonGalaxy (3502 posts) -

@scotto said:

I'd just point out that it appears those two GIFs are not identical scenes. For starters, it appears to be a different bridge in the same area (look at the minimaps). It also appears to be a different car. It also ALSO appears that there's a much bigger spotlight on the car, which would make for less "atmospheric" lighting in the surrounding area (since everything is flooded with light). It also also ALSO appears to not be raining in the new shot (or not as hard, anyway), which would affect atmospherics. Lastly, it appears that the bridge is blinking when he goes over it, for some reason. Maybe it's some sort of gameplay-related thing, or maybe it was a gnarly bug in the lighting.

Point is: Who knows. It's one video. Games never look exactly like their reveals, running on ultra high-end PCs, with specifically crafted demos. Calm the hell down. NeoGAF is going completely insane about this GIF, comparing it to a PS2 game, etc.

People and their rose tinted glasses. I urge gaf to go back and look at a ps2 game and still think this looks like a ps2 game afterwards.

#111 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (892 posts) -

I've read multiple new previews that have come out in the past week and nobody's complained about the graphics. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 version doesn't look at good as the vertical slice we saw back at E3, but the rest of the video that this gif was pulled from still looks pretty. That gif is literally the ugliest part of the video that just came out. Who knows what's going on in that particular part and how much the hardware is affecting it. Nothing I've seen or heard indicates that Watch Dogs is ugly. Sure, there could be something fishy. But I don't think you can make that call based on a few frames taken from a video of one version of an incomplete game.

#112 Posted by rethla (1237 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

The announcement videos would have been using a super high end PC. Really high end. One far more expensive than any normal consumer would ever own. Now they're showing footage from the PS4, a real world console that costs $400. It's hardly surprising there are differences.

A new next-gen console. That looks like shit. Compare that footage to something like this from Sleeping Dogs.

I max out Sleeping dogs at a stable 60fps without a hitch on my PC and i know for a fact infamous second son looks damn much better running on my PS4 on the same TV screen at a stable 1080p so stop this bullshit. Dont call an multiplatformer from Ubisoft next gen.

#113 Edited by Shortbreadtom (912 posts) -

I refuse to believe this is true. There's no way it could go from that to this. I'm just going to wait for reviews and a QL first, hopefully it looks better than this. It's unlikely, but it's such a huge change from before to after. Was the 5 month delay to make it look worse?

#114 Edited by MannyMAR (572 posts) -

This would be my main reasoning for not showing something until closer to completion. Yeah it's cool to build hype, but 2 years ago this game looked spectacular and now it looks okay going from the latest videos. If the game still looks like that early footage they were showing on a PC with high settings or if some of that footage was from the PS3 and 360 versions then it won't be as bad. I know the gameplay is gonna be where it's at, but man don't try to sell me a promise that you can't keep.

Then again Ubisoft should think twice showing a game that in 2012 was running on a PC that was probably running multiple high-end GPUs, then say this was what was possible for the PS4 and XB1.

#115 Posted by ChrystianBorges97 (2 posts) -

I have a PS3, but I don't really cares about this downgrade, I will buy this game.

#116 Posted by hanner74 (60 posts) -

I have to agree with waiting, as optimization usually takes place at the end. But also, when it was debuted it wasn't exactly a running playable game. People need to understand even if it was "in-game footage" it was not public-playable, so its as good as concept art at that point.

#117 Edited by ArtisanBreads (4385 posts) -

I refuse to believe this is true. There's no way it could go from that to this. I'm just going to wait for reviews and a QL first, hopefully it looks better than this. It's unlikely, but it's such a huge change from before to after. Was the 5 month delay to make it look worse?

I don't know. Listening to Brad talk about this game I had a feeling something changed. He was just talking about it looking solid vs before when this was thought to be THE game graphically (or at least right near the top).

#118 Posted by TheHT (12201 posts) -

Going by the Unfinished video, it doesn't look as slick as from the E3 presentations, but nowhere near the almost PSP lookin gif in the OP.

#119 Edited by Splodge (2235 posts) -
#120 Edited by notnert427 (594 posts) -

The dichotomy in graphics on this game seems....stark. I pulled the below images from the latest video.

For example, the following images look pretty solid, along the lines of what you'd expect from a next-gen game.

Then you have these, which look like they came out of GTA3.

I fear that the latter is more reflective of the product that arrives soon.

#121 Posted by mrpandaman (879 posts) -

Then you have these, which look like they came out of GTA3.

I fear that the latter is more reflective of the product that arrives soon.

Sorry to nitpick but I am, I really hate when people say this looks like it came out of x game. I know what you are trying to say, but man it doesn't look that bad. It's like taking a photo of person in their worst moment, it makes them look worse than they probably are. The same goes for taking a photo at the best moment, only vice versa. It will probably look just fine when it comes out.

#122 Edited by fisk0 (4989 posts) -

Just a friendly reminder of what GTA III looked like.

And with a "HD texture mod":

#123 Posted by GreggD (4581 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

Just a friendly reminder of what GTA III looked like.

And with a "HD texture mod":

That actually looks like a pretty bitchin' mod. Do you know where I can find it?

#124 Edited by Corevi (6795 posts) -

Still looks pretty good, it's not Second Son jaw droppingly amazing but it still looks better than anything on previous gens.

#125 Posted by Veektarius (5242 posts) -

These new consoles just don't want me to buy them very much.

#127 Edited by patrick5152003 (274 posts) -
#128 Posted by Zaccheus (1822 posts) -

Here's PlayStation Access video that takes you through the open world... It looks serviceable, but nothing like the E3 reveal.

#129 Posted by Whitestripes09 (492 posts) -

@zaccheus: Christ x.x the physics in this game look horrible. It's like none of the objects have weight to them and everything just explodes when you touch them with a car. I feel like I'm watching a toy car go through a scaled down model version of Chicago with sprucely spaced cars in between. What the hell happened with this game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.