Rorschach's Face Pattern

• 81 results
#1 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -

Did anyone noticed the Rorschach's mask pattern change in the game screenshots? the lower pattern looks like a bird with open wings now.

A Panel from the book

The End is Nigh

#2 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

It changes in the novel too. It's, kind of a major part of his character.

#3 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"It changes in the novel too. It's, kind of a major part of his character."
Also the mask is why Rorschach is most favorite Watchmen Character.
I call it misunderstanding, but maybe there was a point in changing it. maybe it's because they wanted mask pattern to look like an owl.
#4 Posted by Lunarbunny (1025 posts) -

I haven't read the actual graphic novel but what I heard was it's color-changing fabric.

#5 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
Aurelito said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
I call it misunderstanding, but maybe there was a point in changing it. maybe it's because they wanted mask pattern to look like an owl."
So you think there's some sort of deliberate reason his face looks the way it does in the screenshot? Or did you not notice that his face changes all the time?
#6 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2164 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the mask in the graphic novel changes periodically because Rorscharch's mask is comprised of two layers with a special black liquid sandwiched between them that changes due to the temperature or movement of the face. It's been a while since i read it.

#7 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

The face is made of a special fabric with viscous fluid inside of it. It changes all the time (as Rhombus and others said).

#8 Posted by VitaminWaterYum (381 posts) -
RhombusOfTerror said:
"I'm pretty sure the mask in the graphic novel changes periodically because Rorscharch's mask is comprised of two layers with a special black liquid sandwiched between them that changes due to the temperature or movement of the face. It's been a while since i read it."

Jayge said:
"The face is made of a special fabric with viscous fluid inside of it. It changes all the time (as Rhombus and others said)."

These. His mask changes pretty much scene to scene in the novel.
#9 Posted by zitosilva (1841 posts) -

It changes all the time in the graphic novel. you can determine some of Rorschach's feelings, like fear or anger, by the pattern it has on.

All part of Alan Moore's grand genious mind.

#10 Edited by Aurelito (721 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"Aurelito said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
I call it misunderstanding, but maybe there was a point in changing it. maybe it's because they wanted mask pattern to look like an owl."
So you think there's some sort of deliberate reason his face looks the way it does in the screenshot? Or did you not notice that his face changes all the time?"
I noticed it when i was reading the first issues ( in that post i thought you were talking about another aspect of it, sorry), but i don't except a complex pattern in a Comic Novel to be solid. ( and it is not because of his personal changes, if you ask me)  it changes every time due limits of handdrawing, but this  it's a video Game with separate textures.

zitosilva said:
"It changes all the time in the graphic novel. you can determine some of Rorschach's feelings, like fear or anger, by the pattern it has on.

All part of Alan Moore's grand genious mind."
Moore was faster than other Comic Novelists (i don't know what should i call them) during the 80s, I don't think that he's a genius.
#11 Posted by zitosilva (1841 posts) -
Aurelito said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"Aurelito said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
So you think there's some sort of deliberate reason his face looks the way it does in the screenshot? Or did you not notice that his face changes all the time?"
I noticed it when i was reading the first issues ( in that post i thought you were talking about another aspect of it, sorry), but i don't except a complex pattern in a Comic Novel to be solid. ( and it is not because of his personal changes, if you ask me)  it changes every time due limits of handdrawing, but this  it's a video Game with separate textures.

zitosilva said:
"It changes all the time in the graphic novel. you can determine some of Rorschach's feelings, like fear or anger, by the pattern it has on.

All part of Alan Moore's grand genious mind."
Moore was faster than other Comic Novelists (i don't know what should i call them) during the 80s, I don't think that he's a genius."
What do you mean by faster?
#12 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I don't understand this thread. A pretty big part in Rorschach's origin flashback is how he made his mas out of fabric from a special kind of dress that a lady didn't want. If memory serves me correctly Dr Manhattan was the one who invented it too.
Anyhoo, it's constantly changing so I don't understand what kind of symbolism you're grasping at.

And Moore is a goddamn genius. A grumpy, crazy old man. But still a genius.

#13 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
"I don't understand this thread. A pretty big part in Rorschach's origin flashback is how he made his mas out of fabric from a special kind of dress that a lady didn't want. If memory serves me correctly Dr Manhattan was the one who invented it too.
Anyhoo, it's constantly changing so I don't understand what kind of symbolism you're grasping at.

And Moore is a goddamn genius. A grumpy, crazy old man. But still a genius."
True. Alan Moore is a dick, but the guy can write an amazing story.
#14 Posted by HistoryInRust (6401 posts) -

'Tis what I love about Rorschach--no matter what perspective he takes, the world is always painted in shades of black and white.  Brilliant character.

#15 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Aurelito said:
Wrong. He did it entirely on purpose. He could easily have maintained it as a static image the entire time if he wanted to.
#16 Edited by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Aurelito said:
Wrong. He did it entirely on purpose. He could easily have maintained it as a static image the entire time if he wanted to."
Wait, you (Aurelito) thought that his mask changing was an accident? Really? No, that was entirely deliberate, they even explained it in the story.

Also I've never been quite clear on this. Is it pronounced "roar shack" or "roar shock"?
#17 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"Jayge said:
"Aurelito said:
Wrong. He did it entirely on purpose. He could easily have maintained it as a static image the entire time if he wanted to."
Wait, you (Aurelito) thought that his mask changing was an accident? Really? No, that was entirely deliberate, they even explained it in the story.

Also I've never been quite clear on this. Is it pronounced "roar shack" or "roar shock"?"
I didn't said that, i mean they did it to get their job easier. also it's pronounced as Roarshack>/ʁoɐʃax/

Jayge said:
"Aurelito said:
How it is possible?
#18 Posted by MrMiyagi (929 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
Yep.
#19 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Aurelito said:
"How it is possible?"
How is what possible. Artists weren't Neanderthals with charcoal back in the '80s. He could easily have created one expression for Rorschach and drawn it from different perspectives. Assuming he did it by accident is pretty ignorant- especially if you read the novel.
#20 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

The first time I heard of Watchmen was in the previews of a movie. Anyone know when it is coming out? Will it be good? A character named Rorschach is a great concept, with the mask to match.

#21 Posted by Virago (2487 posts) -

Heh, yeah, dude, his mask changes. Man. Kids these days. If his mask DIDN'T change, we'd have a problem.

BiggerBomb, it comes out March 2009. I hope it's good; the graphic novel is erffing brilliant.
#22 Posted by zitosilva (1841 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"The first time I heard of Watchmen was in the previews of a movie. Anyone know when it is coming out? Will it be good? A character named Rorschach is a great concept, with the mask to match."
Honestly, considering how most movies based on graphic novels are, it'll probably suck. But then again, I see absolutely no point in any movie adaptation, except making the pockets of someone that don't give a shit about graphic novels fatter. So I'm probably biased to say anything about it, and will probably hate it no matter what.

Guess I'm a dick like Alan Moore.
#23 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I'm terribly conflicted about my feelings for this movie. Zack Snyder's done an impressive job with the material he had for 300 and Dawn Of the Dead. He did the source material justice, but these mutterings about a new ending and the casting of Ozymandius vexes me.
I don't want another LXG.
And what's with the music? A My Chemical Romance cover of Bob Dylan? A remix of a mediocre Smashing Pumpkins song that was made for Batman & Robin?

I'm totally gonna watch it, but I'm trying not to get too excited. I didn't like the latest trailer that much.

Of course the appearance of Watchmen in the public conscious has lead to golden nuggets like these
http://i37.tinypic.com/35alzj4.jpg

#24 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"The first time I heard of Watchmen was in the previews of a movie. Anyone know when it is coming out? Will it be good? A character named Rorschach is a great concept, with the mask to match."
Honestly, considering how most movies based on graphic novels are, it'll probably suck. But then again, I see absolutely no point in any movie adaptation, except making the pockets of someone that don't give a shit about graphic novels fatter. So I'm probably biased to say anything about it, and will probably hate it no matter what.

Guess I'm a dick like Alan Moore."
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta were both excellent movies, even if they didn't follow Moore's stories terribly well. From what I've heard about what they did to the plotline, though... this might be the first one to flop.
#25 Posted by zitosilva (1841 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
Of course the appearance of Watchmen in the public conscious has lead to golden nuggets like these
"
Oh... my... god....

Jayge said:
"zitosilva said:
"BiggerBomb said:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta were both excellent movies, even if they didn't follow Moore's stories terribly well. From what I've heard about what they did to the plotline, though... this might be the first one to flop."
Please tell me you're being ironic... please say it... please.
#26 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"Please tell me you're being ironic... please say it... please.
"
No. They were both very good movies. Regardless of how many elitist comic book nerds interpret them.
#27 Posted by Milkman (17312 posts) -
Jayge said:
"zitosilva said:
"BiggerBomb said:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and V for Vendetta were both excellent movies, even if they didn't follow Moore's stories terribly well. From what I've heard about what they did to the plotline, though... this might be the first one to flop."
V for Vendetta, yes. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, FUCK NO! That movie is one of biggest pieces of shit I have ever fucking seen.
#28 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

Doesn't it change in the book to?

#29 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Milkman said:
"Jayge said:
"zitosilva said:
"BiggerBomb said:

V for Vendetta, yes. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, FUCK NO! That movie is one of biggest pieces of shit I have ever fucking seen."
Maybe. The last time I saw League was when I was 11. Not much to go on there. V for Vendetta is something I've watched repeatedly and more recently.
#30 Posted by Win (541 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"
Oh... my... god....

Wow, that makes me really mad and kinda upset.

" Those blue guys, whom I assume are the villians, looks pretty bad ass, though a bit to similar to the silver surfer."

Seriously people just read the book!!
#31 Edited by Rorschach (316 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
Rorschach confirms.
Jayge said:
"zitosilva said:
"
No. They were both very good movies. Regardless of how many elitist comic book nerds interpret them."
No, V was good. Rorschach thinks League terrible. Backed by forum.
#32 Posted by Sarnecki (693 posts) -

Someone has never read the Watchmen.

#33 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Rorschach said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
Rorschach confirms.
Jayge said:
"zitosilva said:
"
No. They were both very good movies. Regardless of how many elitist comic book nerds interpret them."
"
Adopting a third-person Rorschach speech style now? What are you, Hulk or RetardedFishy? >.>

I already reneged my statement about League. Error on account of age.
#34 Posted by zitosilva (1841 posts) -
Jayge said:
"zitosilva said:
"
When I saw The League I hadn't read the graphic novel yet. And that thing is a mess, no matter how you look at it. Maybe it's your impression as a 11 year old. Hell, I enjoyed Flubber with Robin Willians when I was 10. I think there's no chance you'll find it remotely amusing nowadays, it's terrible in every single aspect you look into, direction, acting, script, editing, visual effects. Unless you're one of those people that like Michael Bay, if that's the case then all hope is lost.

As for V, I agree it's less of a mess, but it's a terrible movie too. Of course, just looking that the Wachowski brothers directed it should give enough of a clue to avoid it. But the movie lacks every single thing that makes the comic good. The characters have been badly portraied, they tried to explain things that needed no explanation, all intertextuality was completely lost, the changes to the plot are, at a minimun, ridiculous, and the Wachowsky brother's ideology view probably reflects that of a person who watches his news on CNN, and I'll stop at that.

The only good thing I can say about is that Hugo Weaving's acting is quite good, but one good actor does nothing to save the wreckage that the movie is.
#35 Edited by Rorschach (316 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Rorschach said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
Rorschach confirms.
Jayge said:
"zitosilva said:
"
"
Adopting a third-person Rorschach speech style now? What are you, Hulk or RetardedFishy? >.>

I already reneged my statement about League. Error on account of age."
Alas, god forbid somebody wants to have some...gasp.....fun on the forums. Internetz are serious business!
and p.s. it was the speech style from the book, officer.
#36 Posted by NinjaSquirrel (236 posts) -

People who didn't read the comic probably will think it's stupid.

#37 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
Rorschach said:
"Jayge said:
"Rorschach said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
Rorschach confirms.
Jayge said:
"zitosilva said:
"
"

I already reneged my statement about League. Error on account of age."
Alas, god forbid somebody wants to have some...gasp.....fun on the forums. Internetz are serious business!
and p.s. it was the speech style from the book, officer.
"
If you were gonan co-opt the comic then you should've gone Hurrrm

And be terribly ugly
#38 Posted by Rorschach (316 posts) -
TeflonBilly said:
If you were gonan co-opt the comic then you should've gone Hurrrm

And be terribly ugly

Damn, one for two. Haha. Gotta work on that Hurrrm-ing.
#39 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I've always wondered about the hurrrrm. Is he clearing his throat?

#40 Posted by Rorschach (316 posts) -

I'd always thought so, as it fit with a gravely monotone voice. Maybe thinking out loud?

#41 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
#42 Posted by HistoryInRust (6401 posts) -
#43 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
zitosilva said:
"BiggerBomb said:

Dude, 300?! Please don't tell me that you think 300 sucks!
#44 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Oh yeah, and V for Vendetta is brilliant!

#45 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -
Win said:
"zitosilva said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"
Oh... my... god....

" Those blue guys, whom I assume are the villians, looks pretty bad ass, though a bit to similar to the silver surfer."

Seriously people just read the book!!"
I'm pretty sure Watchmen came before Silver Surfer.
#46 Posted by HistoryInRust (6401 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"zitosilva said:
"BiggerBomb said:

Dude, 300?! Please don't tell me that you think 300 sucks!"
300 was a terrible film, I felt.  Please include Queen subplots in every film, especially if they contribute nothing. 
#47 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"zitosilva said:
"BiggerBomb said:

Dude, 300?! Please don't tell me that you think 300 sucks!"
300 was a terrible film, I felt.  Please include Queen subplots in every film, especially if they contribute nothing. "

Considering how often I disagree with you, I won't put much stock in that.
#48 Edited by HistoryInRust (6401 posts) -
Bulldog19892 said:
"Win said:
"zitosilva said:
"TeflonBilly said:
"
Oh... my... god....

Seriously people just read the book!!"
I'm pretty sure Watchmen came before Silver Surfer."
You would be wrong. 

The Silver Surfer's first appearance -- 1966.

The Watchmen -- Comics began in 1986.

The "blue dudes" are actually the same entity, copies of one Doctor Manhattan, who has the ability to manipulate matter, which is not so far different from the Silver Surfer's power.  The discrepancy valleys itself between their respective personalities; the Surfer is much more conflicted about using his power, while Manhattan, who by no means uses it indiscriminately, is more prone to dramatic demonstrations than the Cosmic Wayfarer. 
#49 Posted by Win (541 posts) -
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Bulldog19892 said:

You would be wrong. 

The Watchmen -- Comics began in 1986. "
What I was trying to say is the fact that some people immediately say that Dr. Manhatten is a Silver Surfer rip off is upsetting...
#50 Posted by HistoryInRust (6401 posts) -
Win said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Bulldog19892 said:

You would be wrong. 

The Watchmen -- Comics began in 1986. "
What I was trying to say is the fact that some people immediately say that Dr. Manhatten is a Silver Surfer rip off is upsetting..."
It shouldn't be.  All of the heroes are "rip-offs" in the traditional sense.  Moore deliberately designed them to be so.  There's a certain futility to the superheroes Moore presents in Watchmen, and that futility is meant to be extrapolated outward.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.