Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Watchmen: The End is Nigh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 04, 2009

The episodic game series based on The Watchmen graphic novel and film, featuring Nite Owl and Rorschach. Players brawl their way through six chapters that take place before the events of the film and graphic novel.

Who Watches the People Making the Watchmen Game?

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Imagine this animated with Flash, and you've got a good idea of what the cutscenes will look like.
    Imagine this animated with Flash, and you've got a good idea of what the cutscenes will look like.
    Alan Moore's Watchmen graphic novel is widely considered, even by non-comic-book-nerds, to be one of the greatest achievements in the history of comics. In fact, if I were in mixed company, I'd probably get slapped if I slipped up and called it a comic and not a graphic novel. Needless to say, expectations for Zack Snyder's upcoming live-action adaptation of the Watchmen are incredibly high--probably unattainably so--and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment should fully expect fans to turn that same hyper-critical eye towards Watchmen: The End is Nigh. From what I saw of the game during a recent WBIE press tour through San Francisco, I'm not sure that this downloadable beat-'em-up will stand up to such scrutiny.

Set in 1972, well before the “modern day” sections of the com...graphic novel, The End is Nigh focuses on the teaming of Rorschach and Nite Owl. The story begins as the duo assists the police in handling a prison breakout orchestrated by the Underboss, a villain they had put behind bars years earlier. In the process, though, they find themselves on the other side of the law and at odds with some grander conspiracy. Much of the story will be told using a “motion comics” style of animation, creating a look that is reminiscent of artist David Gibbons' original artwork, but with some simple movement added to make it a bit more dynamic. The prequel idea certainly seems like a more interesting angle than just cooking up a game that retells the Watchmen story, though I imagine that's exactly the kind of thing that would send Alan Moore into one of his trademark fits.

Mechanically, The End is Nigh is looking like a third-person beat-'em-up with a few twists. You can play as either Rorschach or Nite Owl, though the character that you don't choose to play as will still be present as an AI companion when you're playing solo. The game will offer a two-player mode, though it won't have online support, and will rely on splitscreen. I suppose that's preferable to struggling with the limitations of a shared camera angle, though it still seems less then ideal. Each character will handle a little differently, with Rorschach's brutal, undisciplined style being more effective with groups of enemies, while Nite Owl is more of a mano-a-mano type of fighter. Other unique characteristics will include Rorschach's ability to pick up enemy weapons like baseball bats, Nite Owl's electric charge attack that stuns nearby enemies, and his ability to pick locks, which was compared to the lock-pick mechanic in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It was stressed during the demo that this won't be a button-masher, and that enemies will block your attacks if you don't utilize the game's combo system, which unlocks new moves over time.

Crime doesn't pay, nor does it include dental insurance.
    The most appealing part of what I was shown of The End is Nigh was the presentation, which generally looked a cut above what you might currently expect from a download-only title. The dingy back-alleys and dank sewers being shown featured some severe, moody lighting that complemented the noir stylings of the source material, and there was a tangible wetness to the surfaces that made the world seem that much seedier. I was impressed by some of the animations, particularly for Rorschach, who would normally walk with a stiff gait and his hands tucked into his pockets. When it can time to throw down, though, he would really throw himself into the fight. The word “feral” was thrown around a lot when describing Rorschach, and I think that's pretty spot-on. Another cool detail on Rorschach is that, as in the graphic novel and the upcoming movie, the patterns on his mask will constantly shift. Since you'll mostly be seeing him from behind, I doubt it'll be an obvious thing, but it's a nice touch nonetheless. Though there seemed to be a distinct lack of variety in the enemies you fought, The End is Nigh at least looks like a game that could've easily been shipped on a disc.

I feel like this is a case where the license is really going to work against the game itself. There's nothing wrong with a little beat-'em-up action, but it doesn't seem like the type of game that lends itself to exploring the vivid characterizations and murky morality that made Watchmen so great. You can expect to see Watchmen: The End is Nigh on the PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and PC around the same time as the Watchmen theatrical release.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Alan Moore's Watchmen graphic novel is widely considered, even by non-comic-book-nerds, to be one of the greatest achievements in the history of comics. In fact, if I were in mixed company, I'd probably get slapped if I slipped up and called it a comic and not a graphic novel. Needless to say, expectations for Zack Snyder's upcoming live-action adaptation of the Watchmen are incredibly high--probably unattainably so--and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment should fully expect fans to turn that same hyper-critical eye towards Watchmen: The End is Nigh. From what I saw of the game during a recent WBIE press tour through San Francisco, I'm not sure that this downloadable beat-'em-up will stand up to such scrutiny.

Set in 1972, well before the “modern day” sections of the com...graphic novel, The End is Nigh focuses on the teaming of Rorschach and Nite Owl. The story begins as the duo assists the police in handling a prison breakout orchestrated by the Underboss, a villain they had put behind bars years earlier. In the process, though, they find themselves on the other side of the law and at odds with some grander conspiracy. Much of the story will be told using a “motion comics” style of animation, creating a look that is reminiscent of artist David Gibbons' original artwork, but with some simple movement added to make it a bit more dynamic. The prequel idea certainly seems like a more interesting angle than just cooking up a game that retells the Watchmen story, though I imagine that's exactly the kind of thing that would send Alan Moore into one of his trademark fits.

Mechanically, The End is Nigh is looking like a third-person beat-'em-up with a few twists. You can play as either Rorschach or Nite Owl, though the character that you don't choose to play as will still be present as an AI companion when you're playing solo. The game will offer a two-player mode, though it won't have online support, and will rely on splitscreen. I suppose that's preferable to struggling with the limitations of a shared camera angle, though it still seems less then ideal. Each character will handle a little differently, with Rorschach's brutal, undisciplined style being more effective with groups of enemies, while Nite Owl is more of a mano-a-mano type of fighter. Other unique characteristics will include Rorschach's ability to pick up enemy weapons like baseball bats, Nite Owl's electric charge attack that stuns nearby enemies, and his ability to pick locks, which was compared to the lock-pick mechanic in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It was stressed during the demo that this won't be a button-masher, and that enemies will block your attacks if you don't utilize the game's combo system, which unlocks new moves over time.

The most appealing part of what I was shown of The End is Nigh was the presentation, which generally looked a cut above what you might currently expect from a download-only title. The dingy back-alleys and dank sewers being shown featured some severe, moody lighting that complemented the noir stylings of the source material, and there was a tangible wetness to the surfaces that made the world seem that much seedier. I was impressed by some of the animations, particularly for Rorschach, who would normally walk with a stiff gait and his hands tucked into his pockets. When it can time to throw down, though, he would really throw himself into the fight. The word “feral” was thrown around a lot when describing Rorschach, and I think that's pretty spot-on. Another cool detail on Rorschach is that, as in the graphic novel and the upcoming movie, the patterns on his mask will constantly shift. Since you'll mostly be seeing him from behind, I doubt it'll be an obvious thing, but it's a nice touch nonetheless. Though there seemed to be a distinct lack of variety in the enemies you fought, The End is Nigh at least looks like a game that could've easily been shipped on a disc.

I feel like this is a case where the license is really going to work against the game itself. There's nothing wrong with a little beat-'em-up action, but it doesn't seem like the type of game that lends itself to exploring the vivid characterizations and murky morality that made Watchmen so great. You can expect to see Watchmen: The End is Nigh on the PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and PC around the same time as the Watchmen theatrical release.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I can't wait for the Watchmen film. The com- Graphic novel was simply incredible, even though I was puzzled by the ending.

bucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By bucky

hmm. i love me some watchmen, but i'm not so sure about this.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By spiceninja

This game is just blasphemy. I can't believe it's actually coming out. It makes me sick just thinking about it.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

It's too late for updates Ryan, let me go to bed.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

It looks ok.  I seen gameplay of it on X-Play like 2 weeks ago I think.  The movie loos awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-6296e29cde7c5
    deactivated-6296e29cde7c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know many people are against the concept of the game and the movie, but you have to admit, if your a fan, your gonna go see the movie and your probably gonna play the game anyway!
    It will be a nice to see how this turns out.

Muffin_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Muffin_Hunter

I think I would enjoy re-reading the graphic novel more than playing this game. I'll have to see how it turns out before I throw my money down.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I want to see the movie, it looks great, but the game....eh, maybe.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By kraznor

I think you summed it up nicely in the closing paragraph. Beat 'em ups can be awesome, but having the rich world of Watchmen distilled down into that formula is pretty gross. For the record, pretty sure the movie is going to be something of a travesty as well.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fishinwithguns

I understand that some people think a Watchmen game would just cheapen the whole experience.  But if you're a gamer, and liked the book, I don't see why you wouldn't welcome a game with the same concept.  Graphic novels usually translate well into games (Max Payne, the Darkness)...and I think even an award-winning graphic novel would do the same.

And if you liked the book but end up hating the game, then what's the big fucking deal?  Don't let a bad game experience ruin a good reading experience...that just makes no sense to me.  Try not to get pissed at the very idea that a game exists.  Shit, you'll probably end up playing it anyway even if you hear it sucks.

Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By imayellowfellow

i LOVED watchmen i just watched the 11 chapters of the motion comic and read the 12th chapter

RIP_Icewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By RIP_Icewood

Im not nearly as excited about this game as the movie. But then again, I havent read the graphic novel! (just the Wikipedia entry) I know, I know...I need to. I'll probably end up getting the novel from Amazon.com if the movie blows me away.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us

The coast guard?

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GHT

I read the novel and now I'm on the internet bragging about it.

really makes you think.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Phished0ne

I just finished the book after i happened acrost it at my school's library, i've always been meaning to.  Game looks decent, the block mechanic sounds cool. They talked a good bit about it on Listen Up, sounds like something i could enjoy.  I Enjoyed the motion comics so the cutscenes appeal to me, i'll most likely get it.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FCKSNAP

Being a casual comic reader, and having only recently read Watchmen a couple months ago; "meh"

By "meh" I mean the brawler of course. The Comic was better than I thought it would be.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kohe321

I don't know about this, not really psyched.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By RHCPfan24

I probably am not going to get this. I already have my plate filled with Lost and Damned, Street Fighter IV and finishing Dead Space and Fallout 3.

brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brocool

you sold me at beat em' up

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb

I have no interest in the game, but I really want to get the comi-I mean graphic novel. The movie trailer had my sold at the sound of Nine Inch Nails.

Edit: Apparently that is not Nine Inch Nails in the trailer, it's actually Smashing Pumpkins. Woops!

mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mussbus999

I'm more into the movie.

And I should probably check out the book as well.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Media_Master

how often does one make a Watchmen game anyways, I'll look out for it

ShadowMarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShadowMarth

Yes, but who watches the watchers of the people making the watchmen game?

TheGodOfHell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheGodOfHell

No man... NO NO NO NO NO man! Why... Why fuck with Watchmen... The Movie's gonna be great... But a game? A game about one of the most story-driven comic books(true fans know Alan Moore hates the term "graphic novel"! lol) of all time into a.... BEAT'EM UP?! NO!!! NO DAMMIT! GODDAMMIT! Fuck!

I'll check it out.
    I guess.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TEAMHOLT

A good game is a good game, and a good game based in the Watchmen universe could be fun. If it's bad, I guess I'll just not play it and go on with my life.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hatking

No...don't fool yourselves the movie won't be great.  Zach Snyder isn't going to be able to handle bringing this to film, few directors are talented enough to do this(although I do think it is possible) Zach Snyder certainly isn't one of them.  All you have to do is look at his previous work and you can see he isn't up to the task of this film.  If you don't believe that then go ahead watch some interviews and read up on the film, yeah he went ahead and took the liberty to pretty drastically alter the ending of the story.  He doesn't get it, he doesn't understand the ending...that is all I can figure.

jhjoliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jhjoliver

Well, Now come the wait for the film, DVD Realese of Tales of the black freighter/Under the Hood and the constant arguements about who gets to play Rorschach.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By maxszy

As someone who has not read the graphic novel, and I do not know too much about the Watchmen universe all together... I think the game is looking quite good and rather fun. This may come across as blasphemy to some who are embedded into its origins and don't want the game to crap on the storyline. But as a gamer, it looks like a game with high production values for an XBLA game and as such, should be checked out.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#30  Edited By citizenkane

I am eagerly anticipating the movie and hope this game turns out good as well. Unfortunately, movie-to-game adaptions haven't exactly been home run hitters as of late.  I'm still intrigued by it, though.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#31  Edited By jacksukeru

Zero interest in the game but these repeated mentionings of the comic has made me interested in reading it. Someday surely...

Edit:

ShadowMarth
    on Feb. 17, 2009
    Yes, but who watches the watchers of the people making the watchmen game?

We do :P
    strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#32  Edited By strangeling

I do not look forward to this at all.

Like Ryan alluded to, it's probably not gonna have that Watchmen feel.  It's probably just going to be a game with the Watchmen license slapped on it.
    RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RawShark

K, if anyone ever read the annotations I provided with the screens I submitted for this game ages ago, they'll know my feelings on this.

WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By WholeFunShow

/Jumps on table & swings some kind of badass weapon with spikes around his head.

EVERYONE SIT DOWN, CALM DOWN & SHUT THE FUCK UP! THIS GAME DOESN'T MATTER TO WATCHMEN!

/Presses Caps Locks

Seriously though, insomuch as it does impact on the brand (an infinitismal amount no one needs to mention) I do like that they haven't pretended that they're attempting to live up to the originals impossible high standard, this is a fighting game where you get to maim fools as Rorschach (... ?.... oh, or valiantly best them as the other guy.) delightful.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#36  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I'd slap you, Ryan, but I'm one of those guys who tends to call EVERYTHING comics, and I've got a pretty off-mainstream taste.  Graphic Novel is too limiting a term, anyway, since it automatically excludes nonfiction.

Which reminds me, I probably should read Watchmen again before the media circus cranks up...  I've heard they've changed the ending.  I'm not sure how they could...

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Otacon

I'm a little cautious about this, especially the complete lack of input by Mr Moore.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By Deusoma

"Cartoons, by their nature, are funny. Even if the subject and intent are serious, there is something about the medium in which it can't (or shouldn't) be taken too seriously."
    Corky Trinidad
    1939-2009

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Having just read the graphic novel, I feel obligated to buy this game.

Noremakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Noremakk

I think I may need me a change of pants.

Nick8708

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nick8708
    I thought the term graphic novel originally stood for a series of individual comics reprinted as a single book instead of individual issues, like taking a bunch of Spiderman comics that follow the same story arc and putting them together so an indivdual didn't have to find and buy all the issues.  I don't know much about the origins of the Watchmen comic, so maybe it was always a single book so the term wouldn't technically apply, but since it is broken up into chapters the term novel seems applicable. 

Anyways, I'm about 6 or so chapters into the Watchmen graphic novel, comic book, whatever term you want to attach to it.  Point is, it's really good so far and I'm now actually looking forward to the movie, whereas before I didn't have much interest in it.  I doubt I'll get the game though.  Despite how much I'm enjoying the book, not once have I thought to myself while reading it, "Somebody should totally base a game off of this!" 
    cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cikame

Watchmen?
    Isn't that that george cloony movie when a giant wave sinks his boat?

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ElectricHaggis

I enjoyed the comic(or graphic novel, if you will), but I don't have particularly high hopes for either the movie or the game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince

I just picked up the graphic novel today.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

The current trailers on display look like they were ripped right out of the comic book.  It ought to be a good movie.  I'd rather they offered this downloadable game on disk as I don't want to strain the little space left on my 20G hdd.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By vidiot

I want something more than a downloadable beat-em up for something as huge as The Watchmen. At least this way they can get their obligated movie tie-in without taking up shelf space.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Ferginator4k

really all i want out of the game is getting to play rorshach and breaking things...

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EvilTwin

Now that this article has resurfaced again, I think it is officially time for a new moratorium on any and all things related to "watching Watchmen".

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Metroid545

i am gonna be mad if rorshach dies like he did in the movie which will probably happen

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.