Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Watchmen: The End is Nigh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 04, 2009

The episodic game series based on The Watchmen graphic novel and film, featuring Nite Owl and Rorschach. Players brawl their way through six chapters that take place before the events of the film and graphic novel.

You know what sucked?

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies

In the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King movie adaptation, where Peter Jackson has that giant army of the dead sweep across Pelennor Fields, obliterating the rest of the Orcs and magically saving everyone left in Minas Tirith. Now if you were one of the people who only watched the movie and didn't read the books, that was probably fine for you. After all, it was pretty grandiose and entertaining. The problem is, Peter Jackson entirely missed the point of that battle in the book, where it's supposed to be the race of man proving their worth, alone and without help. In the book Aragorn uses the dead to clear the Corsair ships, but then sails up the coast rallying Gondorian farmers and gathering soldiers from the outer provinces. And yes, they sail up the river and turn the tide of the battle at Minas Tirith- but it's men having the might to prtect themselves. This is where they prove they have the strength to inherit the world from the Elves, who are slowly vanishing. Overall, in the grand scheme of the tale, the army of the dead serves the same purpose (and takes less explanation), but it misses the deeper message of that clash.

That's kind of how I feel about Watchmen: The End is Nigh. It was a fantastic book and a serviceable movie, but neither of them were really about punching dudes. Watchmen is a critique of superheroes cliches and the utter silliness of dressing up in a costume and fighting crime. It's self-aware. The game is not self-aware, and just focuses on the visceral thrills of beating thugs. It's certainly a serviceble brawler, but the use of the Watchmen license really hurts it, because it stands in stark contrast to the message of the original work. It's just missing the point. And that sucks.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Lies

In the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King movie adaptation, where Peter Jackson has that giant army of the dead sweep across Pelennor Fields, obliterating the rest of the Orcs and magically saving everyone left in Minas Tirith. Now if you were one of the people who only watched the movie and didn't read the books, that was probably fine for you. After all, it was pretty grandiose and entertaining. The problem is, Peter Jackson entirely missed the point of that battle in the book, where it's supposed to be the race of man proving their worth, alone and without help. In the book Aragorn uses the dead to clear the Corsair ships, but then sails up the coast rallying Gondorian farmers and gathering soldiers from the outer provinces. And yes, they sail up the river and turn the tide of the battle at Minas Tirith- but it's men having the might to prtect themselves. This is where they prove they have the strength to inherit the world from the Elves, who are slowly vanishing. Overall, in the grand scheme of the tale, the army of the dead serves the same purpose (and takes less explanation), but it misses the deeper message of that clash.

That's kind of how I feel about Watchmen: The End is Nigh. It was a fantastic book and a serviceable movie, but neither of them were really about punching dudes. Watchmen is a critique of superheroes cliches and the utter silliness of dressing up in a costume and fighting crime. It's self-aware. The game is not self-aware, and just focuses on the visceral thrills of beating thugs. It's certainly a serviceble brawler, but the use of the Watchmen license really hurts it, because it stands in stark contrast to the message of the original work. It's just missing the point. And that sucks.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

We must entertain the masses... that's their only thought. How will it look? What effect do I want to have on the public? How many people can I get to join in on my vision?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Lies said:
    "You know what sucked?"
    Lies said:
    "Lord of the Rings"
    Yep.
    Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Kajaah117
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Lies said:
    "You know what sucked?"
    Lies said:
    "Lord of the Rings"
    Yep."
    Care to elaborate?
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By weltal

I read your post and know your complaint but can I answer anyway?
    The fact that it's $20!

Really though, who though this was going to be anything more than a heaping pile of shit? I had absolutely no expectations for the game and when I played the demo I thought it was alright and if it were $10 I'd probably buy it. I don't know what everyone wanted out of a game in terms of continuity to the story of Watchmen when everyone knew it was a brawler long before it's release.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Kajaah117 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Lies said:
    "You know what sucked?"
    Lies said:
    "Lord of the Rings"
    Yep."
    Care to elaborate?"
    Lord of the Rings is shit. And yeah, I know that wasn't Lies' point and I do agree with him on his real point.
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Kajaah117 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Lies said:
    "You know what sucked?"
    Lies said:
    "Lord of the Rings"
    Yep."
    Care to elaborate?"
    Lord of the Rings is shit. And yeah, I know that wasn't Lies' point and I do agree with him on his real point."
    This reminds me of that Clerks 2 debate...ahh, good times.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187
    Jolly_Lolly said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Kajaah117 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Lies said:
    "You know what sucked?"
    Lies said:
    "Lord of the Rings"
    Yep."
    Care to elaborate?"
    Lord of the Rings is shit. And yeah, I know that wasn't Lies' point and I do agree with him on his real point."
    This reminds me of that Clerks 2 debate...ahh, good times. "
    There's only one Return, and it's not "...of the King".  It's "...of the Jedi".

MOTHERFUCKER!!!

But don't worry...because "...of the King" still beats "...of the Sith".  = D
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By RichardLOlson
    Well you know sucks.....Watchmen....Lord of the Rings movies......and Star Wars movies......
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Systech
    RichardLOlson said:
    "Well you know sucks.....Watchmen....Lord of the Rings movies......and Star Wars movies......
    "
    That's not very nice.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Kajaah117 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Lies said:
    "You know what sucked?"
    Lies said:
    "Lord of the Rings"
    Yep."
    Care to elaborate?"
    Excellent use of reasons why. Are you talking about the movie adaptions, or the books? Or both? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.