Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Way of the Samurai 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 13, 2008

As the third installment in the Way of the Samurai franchise, you play as a Ronin wandering through feudal Japan. Tweaks to the gameplay include a new time mechanic, increased number of swords to collect, and a new companion system.

Is This Any Good?

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By General_D23

I was looking around about this game, but I couldn't find any reviews about it. Is it any good? I never played any of the old Way of the Samurai games, but I've heard good things about them. The only reason I knew this game came out is because I looked at my Gamefly Q....
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Is this actually already out in the U.S.?  If so, I haven't seen it ANYWHERE in Waco...and that would piss me right the fuck off! 

Either way, the first two...as well as Samurai Western...were pretty damn awesome.  I wouldn't expect anything less out of this one.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By General_D23

According to Gamefly, it is. Just don't know if I should keep it on or put another game there.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Well if you've ever wondered what that douche Pete Molyneux would end up with if he ever lived up to his promises, you'd get something like a Way of the Samurai game. The combat is decent, the graphics are meh, but you literally dictate every choice, not just 3 or so like in Fable. 
    The franchise is this in concept, I couldn't comment on this specific entry. Maybe GB could to a QL if they're not busy doing a 2nd Quicklook on some other game that already has enough press.

najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By najaf

The game is really similar to the original, which is a good thing. The graphics are poor, but you don't notice them I find. The sword play is deep. There are a half dozen stances each with a unique skill tree. There are hundreds of unique swords and you can forge your own using parts you pick up from jobs and enemies. The playthroughs can be as short as an hour or as long as three. If you know the series, you know it is made to be played many times in many different ways. This game has 21 endings. 

As mentioned above, you can do anything. Want to start the game and literally three minutes in, kill a really important character? You can. Want to buy a bunch from a merchant then turn around and kill him to get the money back? Yep. (though he's gone for the rest of that play through) Want to join both warring clans and play double agent, or kill off the leaders of both and rule the land? Yep. Want to go on an errand to find an old ladies panties? (seriously) Go for it. 'Partner' up with the town whore? Yep. Find ninja's in the night? Gain the ability to wield two samurai swords?...or better yet, wield two ninja swords in "dual ninja stance"? Its all there. 

The fun and longevity of this game comes from trying to get the different endings. There are so many different  decisions and branching paths, that it is actually a puzzle to see what actions (outside the obvious killing of main characters) will alter the story path. I rented it from Gamefly and will likely keep it. It seems near impossible to get in retail stores. 

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By General_D23
    @Najaf:
    A recommendation like that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. 

Maybe after this busy season is over mid next year I'll hunt down the other two. For now, the game just got bumped up in the Gamefly Q.
    mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mark2000

Ok. I'm sold. I've always been a fan of the 2nd game and it just got better once I acquired the most powerful sword there. I'll be getting this as soon as possible next to Tekken 6.

On retrospect though, I'm not even sure why I want to buy Tekken 6. I'm not exactly a fan of the series nor fighting games in general.

Muffin_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Muffin_Hunter

I've thoroughly enjoyed the time spent playing this game through multiple times. I was a fan of the first one years back and, as mentioned above, it has kept some of those better elements. This game has tons of replay value and since you can find deals online for it lower than fifty dollars it's worth a buy to me.

uglybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uglybob

this game is now on games on demand for £14.99. i looked at the screen shots and the dialogue is in japanese. i take it it is in english if you buy the game

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@ryanwho said:

Well if you've ever wondered what that douche Pete Molyneux would end up with if he ever lived up to his promises, you'd get something like a Way of the Samurai game.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Ruiner

It has a lot of problems...but i enjoyed the hell out of it. The week Arkham CIty came out I actually found my self taking long breaks from that game to play WOS 3....

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By BoOzak

@ryanwho said:

Well if you've ever wondered what that douche Pete Molyneux would end up with if he ever lived up to his promises, you'd get something like a Way of the Samurai game. The combat is decent, the graphics are meh, but you literally dictate every choice, not just 3 or so like in Fable. The franchise is this in concept, I couldn't comment on this specific entry. Maybe GB could to a QL if they're not busy doing a 2nd Quicklook on some other game that already has enough press.

You mean like this?

And yeah i've been interested in this for awhile, looks like Yakuza meets Tenchu, which is awesome. But I just have so many other games i've bought that i'm not playing, or have stopped playing for some reason. I'm beginning to think I have the shittest attention span ever...

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Akyho
    No Caption Provided
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT

Hm, I forgot about this game, but the quicklook made it look interesting but kinda weird. If I can get it cheap (and actually find it) I think I'll pick it up.

This and Armored Core V are on my radar for games to just play, and not really care about the story or anything.

edit: or maybe i'll just wait for Way of the Samurai 4.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karl_Boss

\@BoOzak said:

@ryanwho said:

Well if you've ever wondered what that douche Pete Molyneux would end up with if he ever lived up to his promises, you'd get something like a Way of the Samurai game. The combat is decent, the graphics are meh, but you literally dictate every choice, not just 3 or so like in Fable. The franchise is this in concept, I couldn't comment on this specific entry. Maybe GB could to a QL if they're not busy doing a 2nd Quicklook on some other game that already has enough press.

You mean like this?

You realize he posted that comment over 2 years ago right?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By BoOzak

@Unknown_Pleasures: I would'nt have posted that reply if I did ;p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.