Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Way of the Samurai

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 07, 2002

It is the beginning of Japan's Meiji Restoration, and a lone ronin gets caught in a feud between two samurai clans fighting over a small rural village in this action-adventure game from the studio behind the Tenchu series.

Does Anyone Else Love This Game?

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kush

It may not have been too long. It may have had it's problems. It may have been really weird...but I loved this game (and the sequel too). I found the fighting to be pretty fun and varied enough and I found the interaction of the story was well planned out too. I really hope the third game comes to the states and I wonder if there really is going to be a "Way of the Samurai Online" for the 360...hmmm.

TheWesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TheWesman

YES!  This game was great.  I love the Movie Yojimbo, which this was VERY closely based off of, barring the afro-samurai, Don.  The concept of a Ronin coming into a town and effecting the lives of all these people, plus the rival gangs.  It was very well done on a limited budget, I think.  Also, i didn't know there was a third even made.  Gonna have to check that out now!

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I also liked it a lot. Loved isn't the right word, but I definitely found the sequel both inferior and superior. A third would be most appreciated with Wii MotionPlus.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By mordecaix7

One of my favorite PS2 games of all time.  I played this soooo much when I was a bit younger.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kush
    mordecaix7 said:
    "One of my favorite PS2 games of all time.  I played this soooo much when I was a bit younger."
    Well it seems that most people aren't fans (or don't know what this series is...) since it took a month & one week to get a 4th fan! :P ...I'm jealous of JPN since Way of the Samurai 3 just came out over there and hit the charts at #2 for its debut week, not too bad. :)
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By zitosilva

I really liked it too. And even the sequel, which it seems like even fans of the first hated. Too bad it's over too soon, and I'm not much into gathering every single sword in the world.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kush
    zitosilva said:
    "I really liked it too. And even the sequel, which it seems like even fans of the first hated. Too bad it's over too soon, and I'm not much into gathering every single sword in the world."
    I actually really liked to sequel as well and I'm really looking forward to #3 ...if it gets released in the US of course.
    WhatistheAmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WhatistheAmero

I never checked it out, so its only a rough idea, but I think some of the Capcom people involved in WotS-2 might have gone on to be part of the team who made Dead Rising. Would make sense from the similar timeline gameplay system. Can only hope it gets used more to add variety to games.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Gunner

Me and an old buddy of mine used to play this game for hours at a time trying to get different rare swords.

it will always have a special place in my heart.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Dauragon

I think it was one of one the first games I ever rented for the ps2. I beat it at least 50 times in a week hahaha

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Optiow

I remember seeing in the store, but played it? nope.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kush
    Optiow said:
    "I remember seeing in the store, but played it? nope."
    Well maybe you should go back to that store and pick up a copy of the game...it's quite fantastic!
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Hexpane

I had a great time w/ this game, however there are some big problems

• CD not DVD - can cause some PS2s to fart
    • Load/Save system is unfair and destroys your character
    • Too easy to lose a lot of hard work/hours building up weapons w/ a cheap death
    RazielWraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By RazielWraith

A great game, I still find it better than Way of the Samurai 2... but I haven't played the 3rd game yet.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By shinigami420

@RazielWraith: I really liked WOTS 3 i would highly recommend it

RazielWraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RazielWraith

There are so many games I've yet to play and only so much money to spend at one time.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By justinnotjason

Only game I can honestly go back and replay over and over and over again. There's so many endings, and some you definitely had to look at a FAQ to get. Awesome system of keeping rare swords.

Couldn't really get into the 2nd one for whatever reason. I recognize it as better, but it didn't capture me as much. I think I only beat it once. The first one I must have beat like 40+ times.

Gotta give WOTS 3 a look. Didn't hear to much on it honestly. But then WOTS 1 got really mediocre scores and I loved it.

RazielWraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RazielWraith

One of the many things I loved about this game that I wish other role-playing video games like Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 1-2 had, was the option not to say anything at all... to be silent. Saying nothing could be an answer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.