Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WET

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

An homage to obscene grindhouse-style movies, WET is a third-person action/shooter soaked in blood and violence. Featuring the voice acting talent of Eliza Dushku & Alan Cumming.

WET First impressions

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By MeetThePyro

Now I started the demo with so-so expectations, as many people are saying the game looks very similar to Stranglehold which in some peoples opinion is a bad game. But don't be fooled there are two major things that separate these two games: Presentation and Variety. Lets start with presentation, the whole game is stylized in a 70's grindhouse film motif. A style used in HotD: Overkill. But WET takes it one step further. Respawn starts with film countdoown and death shows the actual film burning. The game has a film grain on it the whole time which can take some to get used to but works to the games advantage. Next is the very best part of the game the music. This is some of the best lyricle music I have herd in a game. You really have to hear it for your self. Viraity is the next thing you notice, in the demo alone we see chases across roff tops, a fun arena battle, a intense rage sequence, and a QTE car chase. If this game keeps up the virity and you enjoy this kind of style as I do, this may be one to watch.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

I totally agree. I came into the demo thinking, "ugh, this is going to be a crappy action game that I will never have an interest in" but I turned out to be totally wrong. The action is fun and intense and, like you said, the presentation is very original. I loved the Grindhouse feel and little animations like the "take a swig" one that uses short cuts and close up shots....just when you are refilling your health! I also admired the variety as well. The chase scenes were fine, and I enjoyed the arena battle. With only pistols and a sword that chick could deal some serious damage (and yeah, she was pretty hot). That middle RAGE sequence was surprisingly original, and the suited silhouettes gave a unique visual style to the whole thing. The final, QTE vehicle section was entertaining as well, even if heavily scripted and easy. 

I hope the game keeps up this variety and fun because, seriously, it went from my "not interested" list to my "must plays". I am anticipating more info about this one.

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MeetThePyro
    @RHCPfan24: What did you think of the music?
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @MeetThePyro said:
    " @RHCPfan24: What did you think of the music? "
    Aww yeah that was awesome. "You are driving me insane!! INSAAAAANNEE!!!" Very Tarantino in a sense and fit the mood perfectly. I really did enjoy the small minutiae of the demo as well as the whole thing itself. This game keeps impressing!!!
    RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By RiddleBrother

I kind of had high hopes for WET, and I actually HATED the style of the demo. Let me just say that I loved grindhouse (especially Death Proof), and I especially love the films of Quentin Tarantino, which this game is apeing the style of as much as grindhouse films (think freeze frame title cards). Altogether, this game, to me, just felt like a sub par third person shooter with aspirations of campy cult greatness. The visual styles look tacked on, and the bargain basement bullet time mechanic has never been used less gracefully or with less fanfare. It's funny you should compare it to Stranglehold, as I actually think the graphics are pretty much on par. Control wise and style wise, however, I think stranglehold is actually much more intriguing. WET's controls  feel imprecise, the movement clunky, which is something you could say of Stranglehold as well, but yo, in Stranglehold, you can shoot a guy in the dick in slow motion. And then the camera follows the bullet up his urethra. It's like virtual crack for my schadenfreude habit.

Anyways, I'm sure there's fun to be had with WET, but the gameplay was just that of a mediocre 3rd person shooter, and the style felt pretentious and unearned.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kilzombie

I really hope it keeps up the variety in the full game, because I really enjoyed the demo, though I think the controls could use a little tuning, other than that, I might consider buying this game, if I have any extra cash saved up.
    The music, was AWESOME!

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MeetThePyro
    @Kilzombie said:
    " I really hope it keeps up the variety in the full game, because I really enjoyed the demo, though I think the controls could use a little tuning, other than that, I might consider buying this game, if I have any extra cash saved up. The music, was AWESOME! "
    Anyone know where I can find the music?
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Branthog

I'll probably pick it up when I can grab it used at or under the $30 point. It definitely doesn't seem to be worth more than that. I might even have to say $25, because Eliza Dushku is in it and they should have to pay us to suffer through her acting.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kilzombie
    @MeetThePyro:  either the dev's site, or search youtube :p
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By subject2change

This is one of the only demo's i've played multiple times. I absolutely love the game and its now a 100% on my list for purchase on the 15th, before it was a maybe due to NHL10 and MUA2 but I think I may bump MUA2 for the time being.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By birchman
    @RHCPfan24:  Yeah, Tarantino was the first person I thought of when the game got going.
    KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By KingX

agree to other in here! At first I was not impressed at all, I think they should have began the demo with the sword and taken on the pistols later..  
    but lucky I played thru the demo and damn, it surly went from "not interesting" to "damn this game is cool" 
    and the music! I love this kind of music and is the style I mostly listen to so I was happy like a child at christmas for the soundtrack! 

Merx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Merx

Heres what is wrong with it. The rest they cant change and its good. However, an absolute dealbreaker for me is the shooting mechanic. Why? Because you cant control at what speed you shoot. Its just Bang--Bang--Bang--Bang--Bang with no variety, if with the pistol it was manual tapping it would instantly more engaging. But at the moment it just feels flat as hell.

thekeenan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By thekeenan

I was pretty interested in this game when I saw the first few videos and the demo pretty much lives up to those previews. Overall a fairly enganging demo that makes me want to try the full game.

However I will be waiting for a price drop or two first.

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By RobDaFunk
    @Thekeenan said:

" I was pretty interested in this game when I saw the first few videos and the demo pretty much lives up to those previews. Overall a fairly enganging demo that makes me want to try the full game.  However I will be waiting for a price drop or two first. "

in the UK you can preorder it NOW for £17.95.....which is crazy for a game not even out yet......get on it quick tho, could have a price change at any time:

http://www.zavvi.co.uk/zavvi/10055377.product 
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By maxszy

Just played the demo twice and its really cool and I am very tempted. Though considering what is coming out the next couple months, I may wait for a price drop. However Amazon has it for $49.99 pre-order which is a good price for just releasing. May have to. It was unique and fun. Hopefully in the main game though the variety does keep up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.