In light of the mailbag: How do you drink your Scottish Whiskey?

#1 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -

#2 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -

So the rocks thing is something I was vaguely aware of but the Mailbag video made me think, how do people drink their whiskey? (specifically the Scottish kind)

I used to be an on the rocks guy but nowadays I end up using some water to give it a flavour I'm happier with (Laphroaig is a bit too much for me to enjoy without at least some water to smooth the taste).

#3 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I don't drink it at all. Where is that option? I think whiskey is pretty gross.

#4 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

With ice and yes I know, I'm a bad person because of that.

#5 Posted by CABBAGES (530 posts) -

I drink most stuff straight now.

I hate to say it but i like jack daniels better and i am scottish !

Oh and its whisky!!!

#6 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Depends. If it's single-barrel then either neat or on the rocks (literally. I use whiskey stones). Anything else, usually with a drop or two of water or an ice cube or two.

One traditionally drops the E when referring to Scotch, duder. Cheers :D

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

British.

#8 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

British.

Wut?

(Not sure if being trolled...)

I never used to be a big fan, so I'd just drown JD in litres on coke.

These days I'm actually quite keen on the occasional nip, and I either have it neat or with a touch of water (but generally neat).

#9 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Ravenlight: You drop ecstasy in your whiskey?

#10 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

I like mine with Cola though I occasionally drink it straight if I feel like a hard drink. I drink Irish whiskey though since I live in well, Ireland. Goes well with a cigar or pipe too.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

@Video_Game_King said:

British.

Wut?

Mind telling me a better way to piss off your whiskey?

#12 Posted by clientkiller (69 posts) -

I struggle with drinking Whisky straight unless I drink it like a shot. I have no idea how people deal with it straight. Was it something you have consciously keep doing until you develop a taste? Or is it always there and thats what keeps it a longer drink?

#13 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

I like whiskey mixed with an amaretto with ice, with some soda, or straight. So basically any way. I just started drinking it too, so I'm still getting the hang of drinking it. I tell you, it gets better and better every time I do.

#14 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

Yes. And I chase it with a shot of Drano.

#15 Posted by OldGuy (1558 posts) -

Just a sprinkle of water to open the whisky up.

#16 Posted by SpacePringles (22 posts) -

In a Brown bag

#17 Posted by OldGuy (1558 posts) -
@Ravenlight said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

Yes. And I chase it with a shot of Drano.

Truly a man with a cast iron GI tract.
#18 Posted by Swaboo (451 posts) -

I likes my scotch straight up.

#19 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -

@clientkiller said:

I struggle with drinking Whisky straight unless I drink it like a shot. I have no idea how people deal with it straight. Was it something you have consciously keep doing until you develop a taste? Or is it always there and thats what keeps it a longer drink?

I was always told you had to develop it and move all the way from a mild blended thing to whatever type of expensive single malt you end up gravitating to (for example a really peaty flavour) over years of letting your taste buds adapt. I have no idea if that's nonsense (or a misplaced tale as your sense of taste is changing as you grow up anyway, whether you eat/drink specific things or not) but I definitely know plenty of people who have not enjoyed a single malt that they've later gone on to love after refining their taste starting with something milder.

#20 Posted by donkeyscrotes (69 posts) -

I can normally only afford stuff that tastes like feet like Bells and Teachers, so I tend to mix it with some coke out of necessity. One of these days i'll save up and buy some of my uni's whisky though.

#21 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2472 posts) -

Typically just drink it straight.

#22 Posted by Toxin066 (3289 posts) -

I've been diggin Chevas Regal. I leave it on my "secret shelf" and drink it warm.

#23 Edited by jakob187 (21675 posts) -

I drink it neat in a snifter, non-chilled...

...the only way it should be. I also drastically prefer a single malt above anything else. If I need to straw a bit of water to it in order to open it up, I'll do so. However, it's always room temperature bottled water.

The only exception is Johnny Walker, and I usually just go with a Johnny and Coke for that.

Personally, my favorite drams are Ardbeg 10 and Glenfiddich 15 Solera. However, my palette has been pretty limited so far. Living in Texas makes it difficult to get the good stuff. Even more difficult is the price on some of the bottles I'd like to try.

Can anyone say "Lagavulin 21yo for $1,000"?

#24 Edited by Alex291190 (20 posts) -

How do you drink your Scottish Whiskey?

In light of being Scottish ... Regularly. Would be my answer :P

#25 Posted by Village_Guy (2582 posts) -

No thank you, I don't drink, where is the option for that?

#26 Posted by TobbRobb (4654 posts) -

I don't drink alcohol especially often, and I don't really care that much about it. But the few times I get to choose, I prefer straight whisky. But I guess I wouldn't care if there was ice in it. I've yet to find one that is too strong to drink without it though.

#27 Edited by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

With a little bit of water as you're supposed to. The whiskey opens up and tastes way better.

#28 Posted by Chris86 (65 posts) -

I don't drink whisky very often, but when I do I add a little water because it's what my Dad taught me to do.

#29 Posted by clientkiller (69 posts) -

@Shivoa: Thanks for your advice, any suggestions on a decent mild blend to get started on?

#30 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Put a bottle of whiskey on the table.

In a glass, make a China White by mixing equal parts vodka, bailey's, and creme de cacao. Add a pinch of cinnamon.

Drink the China White. Ignore the whiskey.

#31 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

What's this 'E'less Whiskey I'm seeing here far too often?

I'd never take to the blasphemy that is Scottish Whiskey, but I'll take my regular Whiskey straight.

#32 Posted by AndrewB (7622 posts) -

Coincidentally, I answered this question for myself just yesterday. No mix, no ice... just Whiskey.

#33 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Ice or a bit of water, depending on quality

#34 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

Water if I have to, but generaly i despise the stuff. I used to work in a bar that had loads of single malts. the smell offends me.

#35 Edited by light_grenade (124 posts) -

2 parts water to 5 parts whisky I find is the perfect mix, as it allows all the flavours to bloom.

#36 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Neat. (that means with nothing added)

#37 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

Depends on the whisky. If it's something like Ardbeg it's really nice to just add a few drops of water to it to enhance the flavour.

#38 Posted by selbie (1904 posts) -

In a chilled glass, no ice...or if I want something sweeter, with Ginger Ale and ice.

#39 Edited by Ninja (535 posts) -

Jura on the rocks. Springbank if I'm feeling richer.

Don't see what the hatred it for ice, it's normal.

@Althox said:

Depends on the whisky. If it's something like Ardbeg it's really nice to just add a few drops of water to it to enhance the flavour.

Ardbeg, good shout!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.