Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

White Knight Chronicles: International Edition

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

White Knight Chronicles is a mixture of traditional fantasy JRPG and good old fashioned mecha. The story features Leonard, a protagonist who can transform into the White Knight with the use of an ancient technology. The game also allows players to join forces over the internal multiplayer mode, Geonet.

Say no to WKC DLC =/, Sony robbing you blind! (and Level5)

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By essaregee

okay, so I have nothing against paid DLC, but sometimes developers take it to far. 

I think I have become the official WKC news person in the GB community, so I will tell you why I am against this. 

The game includes something called "Georama", it is your personal town that allows you to build a town for your friends to visit (face it really, who plays WKC anyway). And recently (at lauch) they have new DLC out, this DLC provides new houses, deorative options, and job places that should have bloody been included with the game already. Furthermore they are unlock codes. What this enables you to do is make your town have the things that you need to get the good gear and make your city atleast semi-interesting. Now the worst news is that the DLC is expensive, like 3$ per a new house. 
    All in all the things that come in the game and should have been free end up costing a total of over $150, that's more than double the game price! 

Seriously, what the f**ck, 
    I don't disagree that developers have the right to sell their own IP, but this is robbery!  
    And no, don't release an additional $20 pack that includes all the content. 

Also, I could understand if ti was reasonable, say $0.10 per item, but 2-3$ for things that should be included. 
    To make things worse, they have a $5.00 makeover item that allows you to re-customize your avatar. 

Sure, no-one is forcing me to buy it (and I won't), but seriously, this is taking things a tad far, talk about horse armor all over again...

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'm eating a banana, but this situation is a travesty.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By essaregee

I am eating a grapefruit, and I am confused as how travesty fits into the comment =/

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pessh

Shame, but fortunately I have absolutely no interest in the game.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

If this happens in Dark Cloud 3 then Level 5 has lost me completely.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Bigandtasty

I'm eating an apple, but this sounds like the worst DLC offender ever.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I think that the most abhorrent example of stealing your money was when you purchased the game.

juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By juanvaldes

DLC has been nothing but a way to rip us off since day one. This is nothing unusual in that regard and while I am very   disappointed in the  blatant  fleecing just do what I am. Dont buy the shit. 

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That is totally ridiculous, $150 is by far way too much for any DLC, let alone this.  Thankfully (for me at least), the quick look of White Knight made not want the game, which is a shame because I have really enjoyed most of level 5's stuff, like Dark Cloud 1 and 2.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool

I am eating pasta and I completely agree with the OP.  If the game isn't fully realised on the day I purchase it, then screw it, I am not adding to it at cast, even little amounts.  If the game is still fully enjoyable without the DLC then I am also still fine with that.  

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By essaregee
    @oldschool: The game is still fully enjoyable without the DLC, as long as you don't bother with the Georama thing. Not to mention the whole system is unrefined, needlessly complex, and boring, it is also a waste of time and money. 
    I can only sanction DLC if it is truly DLC - for example Shivering Isles DLC for Oblivion, that was worth it. Basically the only DLC I buy is that that prolongs the game, and is truly DLC, not a unlock code.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Xeiphyer

I think it really depends on how much content is still in the game, as far as the georama goes. If there isnt a heck of a lot, then its retarded, but I assume there will be some neat stuff.

I really hate it when they leave the really cool stuff for paid DLC though.. I really want those fountains and those stone stairs/platforms. I might spend $10 at some point on them, since when I bought the game it was $10 off magically, so its free money.

@essaregee:
    Also, you are crazy. The georama thing is one of the best parts of WKC, how is it unrefined and complex? You have an area, you place buildings, and put villagers from the single player in it. Its no more complicated than it was in Dark Cloud 2, except this time the geotown accomplishes a lot more since you everyones town can be unique and offer different materials for sale, and you use it as a hub for online questing.

I think your whole attitude towards the DLC is crazy too, there is a lot of that stuff that nobody wants, and yeah they are expensive, but there is supposedly a lot of content still in the game without those, and looking through it there was like 4 things I would consider actually buying. 

So don't be so onesided towards the whole thing, you are being way too biased. The georama thing is improved upon the DC2 version, so anyone who enjoyed it there will enjoy it here. The DLC is Optional, if you want to enhance your town in some way, don't make it sound like you need to pay $150 to have fun in it or something.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By essaregee
    @Xeiphyer: I know what you mean - to each his own.
    What I am saying is that it's nothing new - it's all on the disc anyway, but I just hate the fact that we are paying for unlock codes.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Cube

WKC looks like shit anyways, wasn't ever interested in it.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By masternater27

I'm eating ice cream, and couldn't really care any less about WKC now.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By CowMuffins

I'm going to say my thoughts onto why they would be doing this, without reading the other comments, because I honestly don't care enough about this topic to read them. But here are my thoughts anyways:
    White Knight Chronicles is going to be a very niche title, this isn't CoD or Gears of War. So, in order to make up for the low sales, they're selling stuff to the niche players. They know that this group of people will very likely buy these items, so if they sell enough then it will make up for the lack luster sales.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

I'll do you one better and avoid WKC altogether.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By MAST
    @essaregee said:

"Sure, no-one is forcing me to buy it (and I won't), but seriously, this is taking things a tad far, talk about horse armor all over again... "

I think you are just going to have to accept the existence of this type of thing. This is really no different then the Playstation Home stuff. People have shown that they are willing to pay 2.50$ for a virtual T-shirt to put on their virtual avatar, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon. Sure, it's a bit lame, but whatever. As long as this overpriced DLC doesn't effect me, or my gameplay then I don't see why I should care.

@Cube said:

" WKC looks like shit anyways, wasn't ever interested in it. "

I keep seeing people say this, and I don't get it. Don't you think that comment is a bit sensational? Something like Darkest of Days looks like shit. White Knight Chronicles looks nowhere near that bad. Matter of fact, I'd say White Knight Chronicles looks as good as, if not better then Dragon Age: Origins, or Darksiders, and people seem to not mind looking at those games. WKC might not be the greatest looking game of all time, but saying that it looks like "complete shit" is just nonsense. People that say it's the "greatest looking game of all time" are incorrect, just as much as someone like you are incorrect. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.  
    gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gunharp
    @essaregee  

Not everything is $3. In fact only 4 objects out of the 50+ are $3. Most everything is 99 cents or $1.50. This is not horse armor all over again, this is just on the same level as Microsofts live service cost, name change fees, or most any DLC-- Far Cry 2 fortunes pack, Total War's elite Units, progression unlock codes etc.     

I think the worst of it is the different color crates, no one is going to buy them and why they cost anything is beyond me.   

@Boom_goes_the_dynamite said:

" That is totally ridiculous, $150 is by far way too much for any DLC, let alone this.  Thankfully (for me at least), the quick look of White Knight made not want the game, which is a shame because I have really enjoyed most of level 5's stuff, like Dark Cloud 1 and 2. "

That QL was entertaining, but dismissed the actual game part. I am going to make a thread about it now, since I have seen so many comments about the quality of this game based off the shoddy QL job.

@Xeiphyer

said:

" I think it really depends on how much content is still in the game, as far as the georama goes. If there isnt a heck of a lot, then its retarded, but I assume there will be some neat stuff.

I really hate it when they leave the really cool stuff for paid DLC though.. I really want those fountains and those stone stairs/platforms. I might spend $10 at some point on them, since when I bought the game it was $10 off magically, so its free money.

@essaregee: Also, you are crazy. The georama thing is one of the best parts of WKC, how is it unrefined and complex? You have an area, you place buildings, and put villagers from the single player in it. Its no more complicated than it was in Dark Cloud 2, except this time the geotown accomplishes a lot more since you everyones town can be unique and offer different materials for sale, and you use it as a hub for online questing.  I think your whole attitude towards the DLC is crazy too, there is a lot of that stuff that nobody wants, and yeah they are expensive, but there is supposedly a lot of content still in the game without those, and looking through it there was like 4 things I would consider actually buying.   So don't be so onesided towards the whole thing, you are being way too biased. The georama thing is improved upon the DC2 version, so anyone who enjoyed it there will enjoy it here. The DLC is Optional, if you want to enhance your town in some way, don't make it sound like you need to pay $150 to have fun in it or something. "

Yeah the DLC isn't fucking terrible, and you have nailed everything I would have said about it. I spent $16 bucks in there on the extra fields (desert and wilds) and that larger house and ranch. After looking through the whole list, I don't want anything else. Nor did I need to buy those items to enjoy Georama. I'm also not looking forward to newly released Georama content for sure, I don't know what unique object they could really put in there beyond the few things I already got. I also hope this isn't the part of the game they expand first. 

Won't the extra "DLC" for this game be free though? We don't have to pay for patches and more quests do we? Thats where I would really start calling BS.   
    Harlequin0823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Harlequin0823

Geonet is a hosted service. Why is there no one in here pointing to the possibility that they would need some structured way to fund hosting Geonet? It's a fact that hosting somthing like Geonet WILL cost them money to maintain. No, the argument against this is not "they made money when i bought the game". All that did was pay the developers, or the publishers that already forked over the money to get the game produced. The game is (and this was already pointed out by someone) a very niche title. It will experience a sharp burst in income just after launch, but will drop sharply in sales there after. This is not a Gears of War or Modern Warfare. Which a. will sell millions and b. carry sales by word of mouth into a million more. So where do you want the income to come from to host Geonet exactly? Out of their pockets because they somehow "owe" you more than the game they developed? What does it matter that the info was there on the disc already? All that means is they knew they would have to fund Geonet, and had the forethought to put the code on the disc to bypass bandwidth on the downloading later.  

This is just one possibility. If you want to refute it and act as though you know better what their intentions truely are, provide proof please. Fact is we don't honestly know where the money is going. Ask yourself something though. If the money is going to Level5 and you really enjoy the game, why is it so bad that they garner more revenue from the DLC? The more money they get, the more content we get. Not to mention stronger sequels.  

Just a point of view.

sagamagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sagamagus

Ok, where can i start, first anyone that says "i dont care or i avoid WKC" dont know anything about RPG'S, because WKC its agreat rpg, has a very good storyline, worlds totaly open and no the lineal ones like FFXIII, have some problems like the slow combat sistem, but any game its perfect and WKC have his problems and his good things, and the problems will be solved with WKC 2, now, looking into the problem of the dlc, i know some dlc that are too more expensive than that and too much people buy it, i dont care about the price, if i really whant the stuff i buy it, if i dont want it dont buy it, simply, and anyyone that says things like  "i dont care or i avoid WKC" i repeat dont know about RPG's, i' gtg, but i invite you to buy some games that anyone that loves the RPG's can avoid: 

White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2 
    Golden Sun DS (and the previous 2) 
    Chrono Trigger 
    FFVIII (of course) 
    Dragon Quest IX (another great game of Level 5)  

maybe i forgot some games to this list but this is my list , all the things cited here are only my toughts, but consider them 
    and one last thing i only sign up to answer, but it seems that its agreat page, i'll go to see more things in it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.