Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

White Knight Chronicles: International Edition

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

White Knight Chronicles is a mixture of traditional fantasy JRPG and good old fashioned mecha. The story features Leonard, a protagonist who can transform into the White Knight with the use of an ancient technology. The game also allows players to join forces over the internal multiplayer mode, Geonet.

Time Travel, Ancient Civilizations and Infant Souls

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By gunharp

No idea if anyone is going to see this. But here are some thoughts on WKC. Not going to edit to hard, just jot some stuff down. The game is odd and I don't know anyone personally that has played it. I thought about maybe a user review but there are plenty of good ones already.

I put this game down after completing the Bunker Load caverns dungeon over a year ago. Just now returned to it and actually finished the game. I do anticipate for the sequel, the story ends on a pretty good cliff hangar in my opinion. Some assholes need to get got! However it is really to bad that most of the story is very boring up until Act III (which I consider post Greed). Particularly I really enjoyed the twist with Eldore, Gravel, and Setti when your party finally makes its way to Sinca Village. Honestly though there is to little to enjoy; The voice acting throughout is mediocre, the lip syncing is terrible, and the story is pretty corny up until the end. Also the majority of the characters are just hard to watch in those cut-scenes, most especially the ones involving Kara and Caesar.

Before the story ramped up, the only thing that kept me going was seeing the fascinating geography and towns. The Free City of Greed cinematics were killer; A whole city on a giant monsters back? The Wind Walkers were also really unique. This whole world is full of really interesting fantasy set pieces and a strange mix of magic and technology. However the different races didn't really add up to much and the politics of the world were never explained. Why would people just let the Magi roam around with a viscous standing army? Despite whats good about the setting and lore there was some really dumb stuff, where the creative effort was just non-existant. I'm talking about the telepathic-hologram-shooting-owls. That just came off as lazy. Even if it was some sort of weird reference to Star Wars.

I found the crafting and battle system pretty satisfying. I think the worst part was having that point system with the blacksmiths to actually unlock recipes. Well that and the foraging mechanics should have only been one button. Mashing on X repeatedly at a glowing spot in the field for items was straight boring.

WKC also accomplishes an empty feeling when you are out roaming the battlefields. I kinda don't care for my RPG's to feel like a single player mmo. Sometimes it works out alright but with this game, every new field was littered with same types of mobs to fight. It's built that way to support the online portion of the game obviously, but I never really got into the GeoRama. Also how crazy was all that? All the DarkCloud lite mechanics with the social networking site. From the start it seemed pretty cool but none of it was very robust. For Level-5 to build all that stuff around players getting with a party to do side quests felt unnecessary.

WKC feels like a modern jrpg, and the world at least visually is something to behold. But yet it just gets dull, held back almost exclusively by its writing.

morbidyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By morbidyak

A late reply to a late post! I just picked up this game for cheap as I avoided it when it came out due to the negative reviews. I find myself really enjoying it! I'm only about 10 hours in so I can't judge it too much but I have enjoyed the story so far. Its very generic but the characters are entertaining and I haven't found anyone to be unbearably annoying yet. The cheesy bits are so full of cheese that I cheer it on as if I was watching Godzilla or Macross.

I agree that the world does feel a bit like an empty MMO (FFXII had the same problem) but the geography is beautiful and fun to explore. The battle system is interesting enough to keep me engaged and the fact that all armor/weapons shows up on your character strokes my inner loot lust.

I haven't messed around with the Geonet stuff and I am not sure if anyone is playing this game anymore so who knows if I ever will but it seems like an interesting concept.

Seeing how this game can be bought for so cheap now I'd say it is worth a purchase for anyone who is even mildly curious about it. You never know, you may find yourself enjoying it as much as I have.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.