Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

White Knight Chronicles: International Edition

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

White Knight Chronicles is a mixture of traditional fantasy JRPG and good old fashioned mecha. The story features Leonard, a protagonist who can transform into the White Knight with the use of an ancient technology. The game also allows players to join forces over the internal multiplayer mode, Geonet.

White Knight Chronicles IGN review....

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

5 point freaking 1. 

I thought this game looked interesting at least, but after seeing Gamespot's 6 and IGN's 5.1, is this even worth it? What the hell did they spend over a year doing to this game... It makes me wonder what type of score the original Japanese version would have got if they reviewed that instead..  

If anyone here has the imported game, can you tell me the redeeming factors? I was going to get this, but after so many bad reviews... I dunno. 

I mean, I never usually listen to reviews, but when a game gets a 5.1 these days there must be some major problems with it. (Everytime I say 5.1 I think of surround sound)

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mcfart

If you want a JRPG, get Tales of Vesperia, (English version on 360, Jpn on PS3). Good voice acting, awesome characters, and real time combat (in a JRPG, i know eh!). White Night Chronicles is your typical JRPG, but it's easy and the dub voice acting sucks. It's average, not great even among JRPGS. But it LOOKS fking awesome.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By captain_clayman

damn if ign gives it a low score...then...uh oh...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

Oh crap, this was going to be the game that spurred me into buying a PS3.  Looks like I can just hang out for the next price cut and get FFXIII.  I am really disappointed to hear that. 

It did get as high as an 80 (Gamezone) but they don't exactly glow with compliments.  With an average of 61 so far, it is looking like I will still buy it, but only at a real budget price.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

Ouch. That's in the do-not-buy range for me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Ouch!  This is not a reaction that I anticipated.  It's disappointing, too.

magpie4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By magpie4life

I bought the game today and I have played it for about 3 hours. i just beat the PROLOGUE part of the game. My verdict so far is the game is very solid JRPG. The visual is breathtaking on my TV (i know this sounds stupid, but the grass areas in the early part of the game reminds me of Uncharted 1). The battle in the beginning kinda sucks because you can only slash people. However, as soon as you are able to create your own combos and spend some skills...the game became much more compelling. 

I highly recommend this game to anybody. Unlike the reviewers from GS and IGN, I don't have to rush playing this game, therefore I play the game on my own pace. And I love the game. Trust me, this game is good!

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By L33tfella_H

Well, Reviewer's also dug quite a bit into Last Remnant, which....isn't altogether a very good game, it's still alright, and if you play it at your own pace (and maybe have it installed on your 360 or play it on PC so you don't suffer all that loading and texture pop-in), it's an alright game (but don't pay anything over 25$ for it :P ).

Look at it this way i guess, Shenmue got like 7.7 on GS didn't it? And yet alot of people still like that game (for their own reasons i'm sure), so don't exactly lose hope yet, just know that all your friends won't exactly be begging to go get a copy of WKC.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By FCKSNAP

Doesn't Ryan Clements hate JRPG's specifically though? Can't remember, it's been awhile since I've listened to Beyond or any of IGN's podcasts. 

Wait, nevermind, he's the guy who loves them.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thecleric
    @L33tfella_H said:
    " Well, Reviewer's also dug quite a bit into Last Remnant, which....isn't altogether a very good game, it's still alright, and if you play it at your own pace (and maybe have it installed on your 360 or play it on PC so you don't suffer all that loading and texture pop-in), it's an alright game (but don't pay anything over 25$ for it :P ).    Look at it this way i guess, Shenmue got like 7.7 on GS didn't it? And yet alot of people still like that game (for their own reasons i'm sure), so don't exactly lose hope yet, just know that all your friends won't exactly be begging to go get a copy of WKC. "
    I think typically with a 7+ game though, the reviewers basically saying. This won't be good to the typical fan, but there might be an audience. 
    A 5.0 says, pretty much no one is going to like this
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This is a shame, I thought the multiplayer aspects of the game seemed very enjoyable.  I'm rather puzzled why they attempted a big single player story at all, seems it would have faired better as more of a Monster Hunter/Phantasy Star Online style of game where the multiplayer and random quests are the main focus, with only a very brief story to tie it together.

The story elements here do seem rather embarassingly poor and the fact it's another case of the developers being cocky and so sure their game will be a sucess as to turn it into a trilogy right off the bat really puts me off..  Not even Bioware with Dragon Age and Mass Effect ended those first parts with "to be continued", instead they finished everything off nicely, with room to expand in future games.

Still, might buy this when it's cheaper to play through with some friends, depending on what I hear of the multiplayer.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By Cerza

I'm not surprised. I got the game yesterday and sunk over 2 hours into it last night and am pretty disappointed with it. The biggest thing going against White Knight is it's been done before and done better. At least from what I've seen so far and that is the vibe I instantly got playing it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Turambar

*Shrug I guess?  I've enjoyed my time with it so far and "he who enjoys, wins" is a pretty golden rule.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust
    The Kotaku review is up, too now.  It says there wasn't much to do with the characters you level up in the game and that the leveling process gets repetitive since you encounter the same enemy types over and over.  

"White Knight Chronicles is, in the end, a surprisingly mediocre game from one of the world's greatest RPG developers."

Kind of sad.  I'll still check it out via Gamefly, but it might not be a "buy" for me anymore.  At least, not a full priced buy.
    hakkesshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By hakkesshu

Although I should say that I don't care about White Knight (and honestly think it looks terrible) the reviewer's complaints about the core gameplay can also be applied verbatim to FFXII. So take that as you will.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Griddler

Even on the 7-10 scale?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
    @L33tfella_H said:
    "Look at it this way i guess, Shenmue got like 7.7 on GS didn't it?"
    6.8 originally, and then in a controversial move was later increased to 7.8.

But anyway, this game hasn't looked very impressive in awhile. The first time I saw a trailer for it I thought it looked awesome, but as actual gameplay videos were released I became less interested. It's a pity, because Level 5 usually makes great games.
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By raviolisumo

Wait, people criticize IGN for using the "7-10" scale, but also get mad when they use the entire scale? 5 is average. The equivalent of what people "think" a 7 is. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

Not sure how anyone who played the mindnumbingly tedious Rogue Galaxy could be surprised by this.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Hakkesshu said:
    " Although I should say that I don't care about White Knight (and honestly think it looks terrible) the reviewer's complaints about the core gameplay can also be applied verbatim to FFXII. So take that as you will. "
    I honestly don't see XIII scoring very in the West either, especially after ME2 and Dragon Age's level of story telling and character development.  I think fans of the Western games are going to appreciate the gameplay and not the story, but the exact opposite for Japanese RPG fans.  Fan reaction thus far seems to agree with that.
    Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cazamalos

if you actually read the entire review you will see a bad review and why game critics should just stop reviewing JRPG, WKC is a very typical and clichéd JRPG the battle system is entirely turn based with the difference you just  can move you character around the battle thats all, i mean it's so turn based that enemies even far away just will hit you with a melee attack, the graphics are beautiful, the story is not very good told , and the online quest system are just mini quest where you and other 3 partners can go and slash some monster and a boss, no plot there, the enemy design i think it's lacking on variety, so yeah the game have it's flaws but also it's a very solid a entertaining JRPG, sorry but i'm just mad  at the entire review that the ign guy wrote is very poor even my little cousin can do something better to describe a regular game.

game reviewers want for a JRPG to have  a WRPG transform to gave it all the good scores, not even FF13 have been transformed into a WRPG,  is just a classic JRPG, so plz stop reviewing JRPG if you want  to find a  WRPG.

ps:don't get me wrong i LOVE WRPG's a lot too.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Quacktastic
    @Wes899 said:
    " Wait, people criticize IGN for using the "7-10" scale, but also get mad when they use the entire scale? 5 is average. The equivalent of what people "think" a 7 is.  "
    It's weird when they do it for one game and then switch back. I remember when they (Chris Roper I think?) gave God Hand a 3 or whatever and then it was right back to the 7-10 scale.  Not saying WKC deserves more or less, I don't know and I don't really want to play it - even Sony released it under the radar which should tell you what they think about it. It's just jarring when they break out full scale for non shovelware, it makes it seem like the reviewer had his feelings hurt or something.
    HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HaniBall

Anyone who's played Enchanted Arms can attest to reviewers grasp of JRPG's.

I have only sunk a couple hours into WKC so far, but it's a quality Level5 product as far as I can tell.

So far I wouldn't agree with the "easy" assessment either, but maybe I have just run into to many giant wasp nests blindly :)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By get2sammyb
    @xyzygy: I can feel your erection from way over here.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By EpicSteve

What did the review say?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By get2sammyb

Also - what the hell is a 5.1? I can understand a straight up 5, but what the hell is the .1 supposed to signify. Do they just pull that out of their ass?

This game isn't really my "cup of tea" so there's nothing for me to be disappointed about to be honest.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Evilsbane

I don't really understand how anyone looked at this game and thought it would be good...

I mean no offense to people who play alot of JRPGs but this just looked like shovelware JRPG since it was announced.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xyzygy
    @get2sammyb said:
    " Also - what the hell is a 5.1? I can understand a straight up 5, but what the hell is the .1 supposed to signify. Do they just pull that out of their ass?  This game isn't really my "cup of tea" so there's nothing for me to be disappointed about to be honest. "
    Haha I know huh? I thought the same thing! It's like they thought a 5 was WAYY too low, so they bumped it up... by .1. Or something. And yes you can probably feel my erection because I will most likely end up getting this game :D 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy
    @magpie4life said:
    " I bought the game today and I have played it for about 3 hours. i just beat the PROLOGUE part of the game. My verdict so far is the game is very solid JRPG. The visual is breathtaking on my TV (i know this sounds stupid, but the grass areas in the early part of the game reminds me of Uncharted 1). The battle in the beginning kinda sucks because you can only slash people. However, as soon as you are able to create your own combos and spend some skills...the game became much more compelling.   I highly recommend this game to anybody. Unlike the reviewers from GS and IGN, I don't have to rush playing this game, therefore I play the game on my own pace. And I love the game. Trust me, this game is good! "
    Breathtaking? After watching the quicklook which showed some different areas and some close ups of characters and some effects, the game looks like a PS2 game!
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Whisperkill

I remember listening to the IGN PS3 podcast a year and a half ago, and they were jerking off to this game every other episode, even though nobody knew anything about it.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Oh dear.  If IGN gives a score lower than seven, your game is fucked.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By oldschool
    @ryanwho said:
    " Not sure how anyone who played the mindnumbingly tedious Rogue Galaxy could be surprised by this. "
    I loved Rogue Galaxy - so maybe this game IS for me  :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.