The flak this gets makes me very depressed.

#1 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

It isn't because I'm in denial; I'm not. It isn't because I was hoping for something else; I wasn't. I had no idea what it was. Even after E3, I had no idea what it was. Now I actually know what it is.

Frankly, I'm pretty impressed with it. I've played a lot of Rock Band, as well as Guitar Hero, as well as real instruments and vocal music. I'm actually excited to give Wii Music a go, and here's why. With Rock Band, you are set on a given path. You have to nail these notes or nail the solo in order for you to advance. In this way, it's like being in a virtual cover band. Scratch that. By definition, it is a virtual cover band. Wii Music seems more like the kind of thing that I'm interested in, which is more jam-session experimentation. Sure, it may not be freeform, and you still may be playing covers, but you have some modicum of control over what is being played. In Rock Band, you have NO control, except for hitting the notes given to you. In Wii Music, you have control over rhythm. There's some level of creativity involved rather than just skill at the instrument. Because of that, Wii Music seems more like a music game than Rock Band. The fact that everyone and their dog are lashing out against it say to me that people lack a shred of creativity. Do you have to have a goal to play a game? If so, don't become a musician, please. We need less sheep making albums.
#2 Posted by TEAMHOLT (437 posts) -

1Up's Jennifer Tsao actually gave it an A-, so maybe it won't get the same heat from critics as it did after E3.

It was a big part of Nintendo's notorious E3 press conference, and was presented pretty terribly. It also doesn't help that some of the instruments sound pretty bad, but whatever. I'm not really interested in the game myself, but that's all the more reason to not bother throwing hate in it's direction without playing it or even fully understanding what it is.

#3 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I just don't get where the game part is. If I can just jam, then what's the point?

#4 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

"In Rock Band, you have NO control, except for hitting the notes given to you. In Wii Music, you have control over rhythm. There's some level of creativity involved rather than just skill at the instrument. Because of that, Wii Music seems more like a music game than Rock Band."

Ark, I couldn't agree more.

One thing I've learned from Sean Malstrom's articles is that he describes people judging Nintendo's decisions because they only see it through a certain context. examples would be Nintendo's online. People dont like it, because they have only seen online through a PC context, which is obviously evident in Xbox Live.

So, in the case of Wii Music, people hate it because they only see these type of games in the guitar hero/rock band context. You're not gonna see the point if you think it's a cheap version of Rock Band.

I'm gonna be renting the game to give it a try when it comes out next week as well. I'm actually looking forward to playing it. Sure to be a fun little diversion.

#5 Posted by OfficialJab (151 posts) -

Really excited for it....hoping it isn't to simplistic / repetitive is all.

#6 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Alaska_Gamer said:
""In Rock Band, you have NO control, except for hitting the notes given to you. In Wii Music, you have control over rhythm. There's some level of creativity involved rather than just skill at the instrument. Because of that, Wii Music seems more like a music game than Rock Band."

Ark, I couldn't agree more.

One thing I've learned from Sean Malstrom's articles is that he describes people judging Nintendo's decisions because they only see it through a certain context. examples would be Nintendo's online. People dont like it, because they have only seen online through a PC context, which is obviously evident in Xbox Live.

So, in the case of Wii Music, people hate it because they only see these type of games in the guitar hero/rock band context. You're not gonna see the point if you think it's a cheap version of Rock Band.

I'm gonna be renting the game to give it a try when it comes out next week as well. I'm actually looking forward to playing it. Sure to be a fun little diversion."
Why is it that everyone seems to think that people dislike Wii games because they're mindblowingly different or something?
#7 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Dude, it's not just the freeform and button pressing garbage...have you seen this game's track list? :S

#8 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
TheGTAvaccine said:
"Dude, it's not just the freeform and button pressing garbage...have you seen this game's track list? :S"
I can't wait to jam to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
#9 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:
"Dude, it's not just the freeform and button pressing garbage...have you seen this game's track list? :S"
I can't wait to jam to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."
I was actually pretty hyped up for Yankee Doodle myself.
#10 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

I don't know, honestly I am in the middle - I don't give a shit about the game but at the same time I am not exactly hating on it or anything. I won't say I will never play it, but I will honestly never buy it unless a friend gets it and I get a chance to try it out.

#11 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Sure, the tracklist could be better, but this is a game that's supposed to be accessible to all. What seven year old is going to be able to hold the rhythm to Won't Get Fooled Again? It's either popular songs that only some know, or really popular songs that everyone knows. The latter is what they went with, with good reason.

#12 Edited by ChopperDave47 (78 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
"
 Wii Music seems more like the kind of thing that I'm interested in, which is more jam-session experimentation. Sure, it may not be freeform, and you still may be playing covers, but you have some modicum of control over what is being played. In Rock Band, you have NO control, except for hitting the notes given to you. In Wii Music, you have control over rhythm. There's some level of creativity involved rather than just skill at the instrument.
"
so you're telling me that if i randomly press frets down on the guitar it will turn into a coherent song? and taht pressing random buttons and randomly waggling the wiimote around is supposed to be creative?

there can be no music game besides a cover game, because otherwise it would essentially be a virtual recording studio, and obviously people don't want to put in the time for that.... or they wouldn't be playing rock band, but would have learned to play real guitar.
#13 Posted by BODDAH (315 posts) -

For some reason people feel attachment to their heaps of plastic and wires. The Wii apparently threatens them.

#14 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -
  
#15 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@systech said:
"
  
"
If you could play this song in the game, it would have been bad-ass. unfortunately, it was limited to public domain and nintendo diddies..
#16 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
so you're telling me that if i randomly press frets down on the guitar it will turn into a coherent song? and taht pressing random buttons and randomly waggling the wiimote around is supposed to be creative?


Wii Music lets you choose instrument and style for every voice in a song; then uses gestures and button presses for you to influence every track to the way you like. Yes, people have been doing very nice, very creative things with it.

Compare these two versions of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".

  

  


The problem with playing Wii Music like this is that it's insanely difficult. There's nothing casual about being "good" at getting Wii Music songs right: It is hard work and requires a lot of practice.
On top of that, there's the fully functional virtual drumkit (if you have the balance board) and it's lessons, as well as the minigames and the conducting.

Wii Music fails on many levels, but the general view of what it "is" is still fairly off.



#17 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
@ChopperDave47 said:
"
@Arkthemaniac said:
"
 Wii Music seems more like the kind of thing that I'm interested in, which is more jam-session experimentation. Sure, it may not be freeform, and you still may be playing covers, but you have some modicum of control over what is being played. In Rock Band, you have NO control, except for hitting the notes given to you. In Wii Music, you have control over rhythm. There's some level of creativity involved rather than just skill at the instrument.
"
so you're telling me that if i randomly press frets down on the guitar it will turn into a coherent song? and taht pressing random buttons and randomly waggling the wiimote around is supposed to be creative?there can be no music game besides a cover game, because otherwise it would essentially be a virtual recording studio, and obviously people don't want to put in the time for that.... or they wouldn't be playing rock band, but would have learned to play real guitar. "
Most musicians like digging into stuff like Fruity Loops and stuff like that even though they play real instruments. How is this any different?

For instance, I'm going to college for music performance. My cousin rented Guitar Hero World Tour to use with my Rock Band instruments. I stayed up until four in the morning working on a three minute song in the song creator. Any little device like that is intriguing to most musicians, even if they don't dig into all of them. By the way, my song kicked ass, held back only by iffy MIDI bass tone.
#18 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac: Don't forget the fact that you could jump into Rock Band's trainer mode and actually use an Ion Drum Kit as a full-on drum set.  = D
#19 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
" It isn't because I'm in denial; I'm not. It isn't because I was hoping for something else; I wasn't. I had no idea what it was. Even after E3, I had no idea what it was. Now I actually know what it is.
Frankly, I'm pretty impressed with it. I've played a lot of Rock Band, as well as Guitar Hero, as well as real instruments and vocal music. I'm actually excited to give Wii Music a go, and here's why. With Rock Band, you are set on a given path. You have to nail these notes or nail the solo in order for you to advance. In this way, it's like being in a virtual cover band. Scratch that. By definition, it is a virtual cover band. Wii Music seems more like the kind of thing that I'm interested in, which is more jam-session experimentation. Sure, it may not be freeform, and you still may be playing covers, but you have some modicum of control over what is being played. In Rock Band, you have NO control, except for hitting the notes given to you. In Wii Music, you have control over rhythm. There's some level of creativity involved rather than just skill at the instrument. Because of that, Wii Music seems more like a music game than Rock Band. The fact that everyone and their dog are lashing out against it say to me that people lack a shred of creativity. Do you have to have a goal to play a game? If so, don't become a musician, please. We need less sheep making albums.
"
If you want to play covers of public domain songs go ahead. Wii Music offers no room to be creative. You wiggle the remote and Dogs bark to the tune of Yankee Doodle. Have fun when you actually play this game.
#20 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:
" It isn't because I'm in denial; I'm not. It isn't because I was hoping for something else; I wasn't. I had no idea what it was. Even after E3, I had no idea what it was. Now I actually know what it is.
Frankly, I'm pretty impressed with it. I've played a lot of Rock Band, as well as Guitar Hero, as well as real instruments and vocal music. I'm actually excited to give Wii Music a go, and here's why. With Rock Band, you are set on a given path. You have to nail these notes or nail the solo in order for you to advance. In this way, it's like being in a virtual cover band. Scratch that. By definition, it is a virtual cover band. Wii Music seems more like the kind of thing that I'm interested in, which is more jam-session experimentation. Sure, it may not be freeform, and you still may be playing covers, but you have some modicum of control over what is being played. In Rock Band, you have NO control, except for hitting the notes given to you. In Wii Music, you have control over rhythm. There's some level of creativity involved rather than just skill at the instrument. Because of that, Wii Music seems more like a music game than Rock Band. The fact that everyone and their dog are lashing out against it say to me that people lack a shred of creativity. Do you have to have a goal to play a game? If so, don't become a musician, please. We need less sheep making albums.
"
If you want to play covers of public domain songs go ahead. Wii Music offers no room to be creative. You wiggle the remote and Dogs bark to the tune of Yankee Doodle. Have fun when you actually play this game. "
I won't be playing it any time soon, if ever to be honest. I'm virtually done with games for a while, and this is far from the top of my list.
#21 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@Arkthemaniac said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
" @Arkthemaniac said:
" It isn't because I'm in denial; I'm not. It isn't because I was hoping for something else; I wasn't. I had no idea what it was. Even after E3, I had no idea what it was. Now I actually know what it is.
Frankly, I'm pretty impressed with it. I've played a lot of Rock Band, as well as Guitar Hero, as well as real instruments and vocal music. I'm actually excited to give Wii Music a go, and here's why. With Rock Band, you are set on a given path. You have to nail these notes or nail the solo in order for you to advance. In this way, it's like being in a virtual cover band. Scratch that. By definition, it is a virtual cover band. Wii Music seems more like the kind of thing that I'm interested in, which is more jam-session experimentation. Sure, it may not be freeform, and you still may be playing covers, but you have some modicum of control over what is being played. In Rock Band, you have NO control, except for hitting the notes given to you. In Wii Music, you have control over rhythm. There's some level of creativity involved rather than just skill at the instrument. Because of that, Wii Music seems more like a music game than Rock Band. The fact that everyone and their dog are lashing out against it say to me that people lack a shred of creativity. Do you have to have a goal to play a game? If so, don't become a musician, please. We need less sheep making albums.
"
If you want to play covers of public domain songs go ahead. Wii Music offers no room to be creative. You wiggle the remote and Dogs bark to the tune of Yankee Doodle. Have fun when you actually play this game. "
I won't be playing it any time soon, if ever to be honest. I'm virtually done with games for a while, and this is far from the top of my list.
"
Then please dont talk about it like you know what it is.
BTW 5,263 posts is hardly staying away from games.

#22 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Arkthemaniac said: 
I won't be playing it any time soon, if ever to be honest. I'm virtually done with games for a while, and this is far from the top of my list. "
Then please dont talk about it like you know what it is.
BTW 5,263 posts is hardly staying away from games. "
Dude, I haven't been legitimately on the site in like a month and a half. Get off my ass.
#23 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
Then please dont talk about it like you know what it is.

You shouldn't, either. I have even seen the dog barking used in great, creative renditions of Wii Music songs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.