Online Component Found In Wii Sports Resort

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -


[UPDATED]

You can enable an option that has the game import Miis from the Contest Channel to fill the island / bystander rows.




As well as showcasing the new Motion Plus accessory, Wii Sports Resort will also feature some sort of online Wi Fi component, it would seem. A recent update on the European Nintendo Channel suggests that the sequel to Wii Sports will house some kind of online feature, the only question is whether this could be full online play or leaderboards, or in fact both. 



What do you think?








#2 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

I don't think that this is online multiplayer. Leaderboards is my guess.

#3 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Leaderboards for what though? Doesn't sound like you can play for high scores all that much, scoring systems appear simplistic and you probably master them in no time for most mini games, with the exception of a few that will need some luck, like archery and such...

#4 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

A leaderboard is most likely, I think Nintendo see this as a local game only. 


Nintendo must surely know that some take the Wii Sports very seriously when it comes to scores, it's obvious taht those gamers want a means to showcase their achievements with the rest of the world.

#5 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Interesting, some kind of leaderboard would be great. Maybe it's for the points you get for succeeding in the many games they have. My bowling points total is around 1400 in Wii Sports. I then can look and see how I stand with my friends and the rest of the world. That would be cool.

#6 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -

Who cares? It's Wii Sports, motion + might make a bit of a difference but it is still Wii Sports, as casual as casual gaming gets.

#7 Posted by MattyFTM (14419 posts) -
Moderator
#8 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

IF there was an online mode where you could battle with other player, I'm sure they would have shown it at E3. So I'm guessing its just leaderboards.

#9 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Snail said:
" Who cares? It's Wii Sports, motion + might make a bit of a difference but it is still Wii Sports, as casual as casual gaming gets. "
I guess Nintendo got me with their "casual virus" then, because i am legitimately looking forward to the sword fights and archery range. 
#10 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @Snail said:
" Who cares? It's Wii Sports, motion + might make a bit of a difference but it is still Wii Sports, as casual as casual gaming gets. "
I guess Nintendo got me with their "casual virus" then, because i am legitimately looking forward to the sword fights and archery range. 
"
Another one infected, nintendo is trying to kill hardcore gaming.
#11 Edited by JebranRush (36 posts) -
@Snail said:
"
@AgentJ said:
" @Snail said:
" Who cares? It's Wii Sports, motion + might make a bit of a difference but it is still Wii Sports, as casual as casual gaming gets. "
I guess Nintendo got me with their "casual virus" then, because i am legitimately looking forward to the sword fights and archery range. 
"
Another one infected, nintendo is trying to kill hardcore gaming. "
Well, most would rather have fun than follow this hardcore/casual bit of foolishness and I'm sure several would agree.

Unless you were joking, of course. :P
#12 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -
@JebranRush: Eventually casual gaming will infect hardcore gaming and kill it, since it has a much larger audience. You'll see I'm right!
#13 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Now that I have tried MotionPlus, I look forward to Sports Resort more than to any other game announced for 09/10 save The Last Guardian.

#14 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
#15 Posted by damnboyadvance (4061 posts) -

Yeah, online as in some kind of updated content, NOT ONLINE PLAY. WiiConnect24 and Nintendo WiFi connection are 2 different concepts.

#16 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Can somebody confirm what this is now. I know some of you already have the game?

#17 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I have not noticed WiFi connectivity of any kind. No leaderboards or anything. Maybe it has to be switched on somewhere, but I doubt it. There is no menu that has "24" in it. Don't know why the Nintendo channel lists online, cause there isn't.

#18 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
@Snail said:
" Who cares? It's Wii Sports, motion + might make a bit of a difference but it is still Wii Sports, as casual as casual gaming gets. "
So? Casual gaming is a big deal, especially in the real world.
#19 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" @Snail said:
" Who cares? It's Wii Sports, motion + might make a bit of a difference but it is still Wii Sports, as casual as casual gaming gets. "
So? Casual gaming is a big deal, especially in the real world. "
Casual gaming will eventually kill hardcore gaming.
#20 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

There is neither casual nor hardcore gaming.

#21 Posted by Mac (71 posts) -
@Snail said:
"@Willy105 said:
" @Snail said:
" Who cares? It's Wii Sports, motion + might make a bit of a difference but it is still Wii Sports, as casual as casual gaming gets. "
So? Casual gaming is a big deal, especially in the real world. "
Casual gaming will eventually kill hardcore gaming."

Well, at least we'll be rid of self-righteous pr***s then.

It's all business. Nintendo isn't in casual gaming because it hates hardcore gamers and wants hardcore games to stop being produced, it's in it for the money. Hardcore games just don't sell as well, so, why make them?

Besides, Nintendo has already tried to appeal to the hardcore gaming market. Think about it, they keep mentioning trying to appeal to the core gamer. Not their fault that casual games just sell better.
#22 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -
@Mac said:
" @Snail said:
"@Willy105 said:
" @Snail said:
" Who cares? It's Wii Sports, motion + might make a bit of a difference but it is still Wii Sports, as casual as casual gaming gets. "
So? Casual gaming is a big deal, especially in the real world. "
Casual gaming will eventually kill hardcore gaming."
Well, at least we'll be rid of self-righteous pr***s then.It's all business. Nintendo isn't in casual gaming because it hates hardcore gamers and wants hardcore games to stop being produced, it's in it for the money. Hardcore games just don't sell as well, so, why make them?Besides, Nintendo has already tried to appeal to the hardcore gaming market. Think about it, they keep mentioning trying to appeal to the core gamer. Not their fault that casual games just sell better. "
When did I say that that is not true?

And no. Nintendo never tried to appeal to hardcore gamers. They said that they would pay attention to us, but fuck me if they did. "MadWorld" and "The Conduit" is their definition of hardcore.
#23 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I know now why this game is marked with WC24 connectivity. You can enable an option that has the game import Miis from the Contest Channel to fill the island / bystander rows.

So there you have it.


#24 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Thanks for letting us know finally.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.