Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii Sports Resort

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 25, 2009

Take a trip to the tropical Wuhu Island and partake in 12 sports-themed mini-games in this sequel to the popular Wii pack-in game Wii Sports.

Wii Sports Resort: the feelgood game of the year?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

Remember when you had to wait in line for several hours just to get a hold of a Wii and the most unlikely of killer apps, Wii Sports?  I can remember spending one February night in a Target parking lot in frigid temperatures... well I spent most of the time in my comfy car with the heat blasting, but you get the jist of it.  Anyway, the Wii was a big hit among my old roommates.  We were Wii Sports fans from the beginning.  We went full on with the Wii elbow and all that.  We did later figure out how not to strain ourselves while padding Hitler Mii's tennis stats to above 2000.  Wii Sports was just one of those games that was so simple, yet so fun to play with others.  It's one of the few games this generation that is widely accepted among the entire gaming demographic, and even if you hate motion controls, you probably still had a little fun swinging your arms like an idiot for a few minutes.

Show some love for disc dog.
    Admit it!  You liked Wii Sports.  It's the perfect game to play while surrounded by empty bottles of beer you consumed just minutes ago.  It's a great Wii icebreaker, an acceptable form of exercise, and a fantastic timewaster.

And next month comes the long-awaited sequel, Wii Sports: Havana Nights... er, I mean Wii Sports Resort.  Now it's no surprise that Wii Sports Resort is going to be a massive hit above and beyond any game coming out this year (okay, maybe Modern Warfare 2) but the bigger surprise can be the game itself.  While Wii Sports was one of the first games that excited Wii owners, at some point you learn how to cheat the system and you realize how shallow the game really is, and then it's just less fun.  When playing something like a Wii Sports, just simple wrist flicks don't cut it anymore.  That immersion is gone once you realize the controls aren't perfect.  With Wii MotionPlus, I'm hoping that there will be more to the controls and considering the praise Tiger Woods 10 has been getting from critics and gamers, I think Nintendo might have a gem in Wii Sports Resort.

But the feelgood game of the year?  In 2006, Wii Sports was one of the rare titles that emphasized fun and light-hearted competition over story, structure, and grit.  Look at Twilight Princess for example.  It's a gamer's game, one of the few on the Wii at the time.  Zelda to some might be fun, but it's the kind of fun I would have as a fan of the series or a fan of those core games Nintendo talks about.  Wii Sports, on the other hand, is more like a friendly game of Wiffleball you play in your friend's yard.  You might keep score, but you don't give a shit who wins at the end.  At the end of the day, it was all about having a great time with friends.

Wii Sports was the feelgood game of the year of 2006 in my opinion.

Wii Sports Resort is going to follow in the footsteps of Wii Sports and bringing its own carefree gaming style you don't often see on other consoles.  I'm totally pumped for Wii Sports Resort which might sound weird to some, but it could very well be the game I end up playing most often this year.  Sword fighting alone makes me happy to be a Wii owner in 2009.  You can have your Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo: ODST... I've got disc dog, yo!
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By Dalai

Remember when you had to wait in line for several hours just to get a hold of a Wii and the most unlikely of killer apps, Wii Sports?  I can remember spending one February night in a Target parking lot in frigid temperatures... well I spent most of the time in my comfy car with the heat blasting, but you get the jist of it.  Anyway, the Wii was a big hit among my old roommates.  We were Wii Sports fans from the beginning.  We went full on with the Wii elbow and all that.  We did later figure out how not to strain ourselves while padding Hitler Mii's tennis stats to above 2000.  Wii Sports was just one of those games that was so simple, yet so fun to play with others.  It's one of the few games this generation that is widely accepted among the entire gaming demographic, and even if you hate motion controls, you probably still had a little fun swinging your arms like an idiot for a few minutes.

Admit it!  You liked Wii Sports.  It's the perfect game to play while surrounded by empty bottles of beer you consumed just minutes ago.  It's a great Wii icebreaker, an acceptable form of exercise, and a fantastic timewaster.

And next month comes the long-awaited sequel, Wii Sports: Havana Nights... er, I mean Wii Sports Resort.  Now it's no surprise that Wii Sports Resort is going to be a massive hit above and beyond any game coming out this year (okay, maybe Modern Warfare 2) but the bigger surprise can be the game itself.  While Wii Sports was one of the first games that excited Wii owners, at some point you learn how to cheat the system and you realize how shallow the game really is, and then it's just less fun.  When playing something like a Wii Sports, just simple wrist flicks don't cut it anymore.  That immersion is gone once you realize the controls aren't perfect.  With Wii MotionPlus, I'm hoping that there will be more to the controls and considering the praise Tiger Woods 10 has been getting from critics and gamers, I think Nintendo might have a gem in Wii Sports Resort.

But the feelgood game of the year?  In 2006, Wii Sports was one of the rare titles that emphasized fun and light-hearted competition over story, structure, and grit.  Look at Twilight Princess for example.  It's a gamer's game, one of the few on the Wii at the time.  Zelda to some might be fun, but it's the kind of fun I would have as a fan of the series or a fan of those core games Nintendo talks about.  Wii Sports, on the other hand, is more like a friendly game of Wiffleball you play in your friend's yard.  You might keep score, but you don't give a shit who wins at the end.  At the end of the day, it was all about having a great time with friends.

Wii Sports was the feelgood game of the year of 2006 in my opinion.

Wii Sports Resort is going to follow in the footsteps of Wii Sports and bringing its own carefree gaming style you don't often see on other consoles.  I'm totally pumped for Wii Sports Resort which might sound weird to some, but it could very well be the game I end up playing most often this year.  Sword fighting alone makes me happy to be a Wii owner in 2009.  You can have your Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo: ODST... I've got disc dog, yo!
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dalai, I'll admit it. I loved Wii Sports. I still think it is one of the best games on the Wii, and personally I would rank it being in the console's top three best. However, my main issue with the game is that it really lacked depth. There was a lot more that could have been done to really extend it's replay value. I actually think it's kind of sad that a game that basically serves as a technical demo for the Wii's motion controls is still one of the best games on the console. However, I certainly can't deny the fun I had with it and how in my own experiences, it truly was the game that sold everyone on the Wii. It's a tremendously fun game to play with a group of people, and before long everyone in my family had to have one. I remember I would take it to family get-togethers and everyone wanted to give it a try. Even some relatives that don't play games now own a Wii primarily because of Wii Sports. There was some cool stuff in that game, but it certainly is not without its issues. I'm glad Wii Sports Resort is bringing in lots more variety and game-types. I think I'd be foolish to pass it up. Plus it's bundled with the Motion Plus, which seems like a must for serious gamers. I like seeing your excitement and enthusiasm for the game. I just hope this one can keep me interested a little longer and a bit more pleased overall.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

They are certainly addressing the depth issue on two fronts with this game, the sheer amount of events added with the higher level of control does that I think. Motion Plus should allow for more variation, almost more personality in your contol of games. Understanding the events and skills and honing your own physhically is quite exciting I think, so I am really looking forward to it. You just know some of those games are going to be awesome fun.  

I think this will just beat Modern Warfare2 to bestseller this year.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

I still play Wii Sports regularly, and Sports Resort is among my top 3 hypes for this year. Having spend a great deal of time with MotionPlus now, I cannot wait to get my hands on this game.

And this has certainly nothing to do with alcohol or (primarily) multiplayer.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

I've heard from Linkshinks and others that some form of online will be available. Probably leaderboards and such, that would make it that much better. I would then have to start adding friends as I only have two. I can't wait, already got it preordered. If EA can add Motion Plus in an effective way, imagine what Nintendo has up it's sleeve with their long development time.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I think I'll be the judge on what the feelgood game of the year will be. Dr Feelgood... AWAY!

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ThomasP
    @Dr_Feelgood38 said:
    " I think I'll be the judge on what the feelgood game of the year will be. Dr Feelgood... AWAY! "
    lol

Wii Sports Resort will definitely be a big hit. I'll probably wait a bit before I make the purchase, myself. Not that stoked. It does have feel good game of the year potential, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.