2014 lineup for Wii U: promising or uninteresting?

• 73 results
#1 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

I was just browsing the 2014 Wii U lineup and it looks like nintendo has a far more positive year ahead than the year it just closed. Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and the new Donkey Kong Country all look more than promising. What do you guys think?

#2 Edited by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

I'll probably never play another Mario kart or smash bros game again. Those are important relics from my childhood sure but I just don't enjoy them any more, haven't since the GameCube editions. Bayonetta is a must-play for me, and I'm curious about that fire emblem x STM thing, but that's about it. What am I forgetting?

#3 Edited by csl316 (8972 posts) -

Bayonetta's the system seller for me.

And I really, really liked the last Donkey Kong Country so I hope this one retains the magic. Though I loved Rayman Origins and didn't care for Legends much, so I hope I don't get bummed out by similar platformer sequels. Despite Cranky innovations.

Between that, Mario 3D World, NSMBU (similar platform sequel), and Wonderful 101, the Wii U probably won't have to release any other games and I'll be set.

#4 Edited by Yummylee (22062 posts) -

Don't forget Hyrule Warriors(name not final)!!!... Oh my god that's actually a thing.

#5 Edited by joshwent (2299 posts) -
promising

#6 Edited by Ezekiel (482 posts) -

If I wanna smash, I'll play Melee. If I wanna kart race, I'll play 64. I'm playing through the DKC series for the first time (at 2 right now), so I have no interest in the latest versions. I'd rather replay them in a few years or months than buy a console for the new one. Same with Mario. I don't want to play the bad port of Bayonetta, don't want an Xbox 360 and don't want to start at the sequel. Nintendo needs to make new IPs. And better consoles.

#7 Posted by Zeik (2542 posts) -

The new "Xeno" game is supposed to be out this year. Assuming it's localized that might be a system seller, if it's as good as their others.

#8 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

@ezekiel said:

If I wanna smash, I'll play Melee. If I wanna kart race, I'll play 64. I'm playing through the DKC series for the first time (at 2 right now), so I have no interest in the latest versions. I'd rather replay them in a few years or months than buy a console for the new one. Same with Mario. I don't want to play the bad port of Bayonetta, don't want an Xbox 360 and don't want to start at the sequel. Nintendo needs to make new IPs.

How is a game that is an exclusive (Bayonetta 2) a bad port?

#9 Posted by Ezekiel (482 posts) -

@e30bmw said:

@ezekiel said:

If I wanna smash, I'll play Melee. If I wanna kart race, I'll play 64. I'm playing through the DKC series for the first time (at 2 right now), so I have no interest in the latest versions. I'd rather replay them in a few years or months than buy a console for the new one. Same with Mario. I don't want to play the bad port of Bayonetta, don't want an Xbox 360 and don't want to start at the sequel. Nintendo needs to make new IPs.

I was talking about the first game.

#10 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

@ezekiel said:

@e30bmw said:

@ezekiel said:

I was talking about the first game.

Well then I'm having a hard time figuring out what you meant by that sentences haha.

#11 Posted by Zeik (2542 posts) -

@e30bmw: I believe he meant he only has a PS3 and won't play the sequel without playing the original. Which is kind of dumb, since the story is really not what matters in that game.

#12 Posted by kishinfoulux (2402 posts) -

@zeik said:

The new "Xeno" game is supposed to be out this year. Assuming it's localized that might be a system seller, if it's as good as their others.

That game's vaporware until I see something concrete on it.

And yeah this year doesn't look great. Smash looks mega disappointing and the rest is just the usual suspects.

#13 Posted by Zeik (2542 posts) -

@kishinfoulux: They've already released several trailers and it was announced not that long ago. It's a long way off from possibly being considered vaporware.

#14 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

If you like the same Nintendo games as always you will have fun if you want diversity it is a bad year. So basically like always.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@darji said:

If you like the same Nintendo games as always you will have fun if you want diversity it is a bad year. So basically like always.

X and Bayonetta 2 are like always?

#16 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

Do we even know if they come out?

#17 Edited by Steadying (1352 posts) -

Looking forward to Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, and Hyrule Warriors. That said, I'm still a little underwhelmed, as all of those games are kinda just sit down and play for 30 minutes or so kind of games. Well, unless Hyrule Warriors turns out to be some big story thing, which it probably won't.

I'm definitely looking forward to X (pleeeeease be a single player sequel to Xenoblade), but I doubt it's coming in 2014.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

Bayonetta 2 has been confirmed for a 2014 release for a long while now. X has shown up in quarterly financials with a suggested 2014 release. Potentially, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem could come out this year, too, but who knows. It's kind of silly to write the year off as just more of the same.

#19 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1651 posts) -

For a bunch of reasons, I never really got into Smash Bros. Brawl. I thought the gameplay was a step back from Melee, the online was a mess, and I didn't have much opportunity to play it locally. I also just wasn't big into games at that time. So while the new Smash Bros. is technically a sequel, it's a sequel to a 6-year-old game, and for my purposes a sequel to a 13-year-old game that's probably my most played game ever. The Nintendo museum aspect of it alone is enough to get me excited about it. If they get this one right, especially in the online department, I could get way into it. I'm a little off-put by the 3DS and Wii U versions have different content though.

I've loved every Mario Kart game. I've got some reservations about where the series has been going, especially the complexity of the kart customization, but I plan on picking it up at launch and spending a bunch of time with it. I've enjoyed the online play in the recent games a bunch, though the snaking in the DS version bummed me out.

I have yet to play Bayonetta, so I don't really have an opinion on 2. I was a rare Xenoblade dissident, but I'll probably give X a try if it makes it overseas. Donkey Kong Country Returns was amazing, though I played it so recently that I'm in no hurry to play Tropical Freeze. And hey, considering the Wii U is (I think?) the most powerful system I own, I might end up playing Watch Dogs on it if the game strikes my fancy.

It's also worth noting that Nintendo's been unveiling games pretty late in development as of late. I bet there's big 2014 games we don't even know about yet.

#20 Posted by xyzygy (10030 posts) -

Every single one of those games you mentioned sounds great. I will probably be getting a Wii U sometime at the end of this year or something so... yeah. I will have a lot of games to check up on.

#21 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

Bayonetta 2 has been confirmed for a 2014 release for a long while now. X has shown up in quarterly financials with a suggested 2014 release. Potentially, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem could come out this year, too, but who knows. It's kind of silly to write the year off as just more of the same.

Didn't they say that they will probably release Bayonetta 1 first? If so I doubt a 2014 release. As for X probably Japan only if even. I somehow still doubt it still but we will see.

#22 Posted by Yummylee (22062 posts) -

lol

And thus the cycle continues.

#23 Posted by Flappy (2302 posts) -

Bayo 2 better be the best game ever.

#24 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2495 posts) -

Meh. I'm kinda excited for Smash I guess, and Mario Kart will be fun with friends, but beyond that there's really nothing for me. Donkey Kong looks okay but not a full price purchase, I didn't care for Bayonetta, and Xenoblade 2 (Or whatever the fuck that game is) looks pretty cool but it probably won't come stateside until next year. Hyrule Warriors... ehhhh I guess it could be alright.

I'm sure Nintendo has some other good stuff cooking that has yet to be announced, but for now it's not enough for me to really want a Wii U. Oh, and hopefully they get their virtual console shit together this year too.

#25 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

Didn't they say that they will probably release Bayonetta 1 first? If so I doubt a 2014 release. As for X probably Japan only if even. I somehow still doubt it still but we will see.

Nintendo has said absolutely nothing regarding a release of the original Bayonetta. And X has been listed as a scheduled release in all territories Nintendo's quarterly financials, not to mention that rather grandiose way that the game was debuted in a North American Nintendo Direct last year. Whether it comes out this year or next is less important than the fact that it is planned for a western release.

#26 Edited by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

Those are all known quantity sequels to varying degrees.

Personally, I didn't play the last Donkey Kong Country game so I might pick that up eventually. I could always go for a polished platformer and not having played that series to death helps. I've played a few Mario Karts but lost interest in the series (and genre) completely. I didn't play Bayonetta 1 so 2 doesn't interest me very, though I'm usually a fan of the genre so who knows. I'll follow along the hype for the new Smash Bros. but I'm not sure I'll pick it up. The one guy I could play it with has fallen pretty heavily out of love with Nintendo and I'm not so high on the concept of playing online or by myself.

Hyrule Warriors(name not final) is gonna be totally dumb and I'm actually looking forward to it more than the other things I've mentioned so far. Lastly Monolith's X interests me 'cause Xenoblade was hella dope and it looks like something like that. I don't have enough of an idea what it's gonna be yet though so maybe it'll be lame, who knows.

In short: Tropical Freeze = maybe, Smash Bros 4 = maybe, Hyrule Warriors(name not final) = Probably. X = probably.

#27 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

Nintendo has said absolutely nothing regarding a release of the original Bayonetta. And X has been listed as a scheduled release in all territories Nintendo's quarterly financials, not to mention that rather grandiose way that the game was debuted in a North American Nintendo Direct last year. Whether it comes out this year or next is less important than the fact that it is planned for a western release.

Kamiya said it.

He noted that not only did he think it was a "good idea" to rerelease Bayonetta on Wii U, but also that it would be well within the realm of possibility for the port to be completed before Bayonetta 2's release. Kamiya also agreed that it would be a good idea for Bayonetta 1 and 2 to be bundled together, perhaps as part of a limited edition set.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/bayonetta-on-the-way-to-wii-u

As for X: I have no doubt that it will come out in the west however I have doubt of a world wide release especially in 2014. That is all I am saying.

#28 Posted by AlexGBRO (306 posts) -

the lineup is not bad but these 4 games con't be the only thing for wii u in 2014, i know there is X and hyrule warior both 2014 games, if dk, mario kart and smash all come before e3 then nintendo could move 3/4 mil wii u, bayonetta 2 should be august game before destiny comes

#29 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@darji: Kamiya said that, but that has no bearing on release plans. If there was any plan to release the original Bayonetta before or concurrently with the release of Bayonetta 2, it would have been announced by now.

#30 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@darji: Kamiya said that, but that has no bearing on release plans. If there was any plan to release the original Bayonetta before or concurrently with the release of Bayonetta 2, it would have been announced by now.

With the clear lack of 3rd party titles they have to save that for E3. At least I am pretty sure that will happen then.

#31 Posted by big_jon (5743 posts) -

I'm pretty pumped for the new Donkey Kong Country.

#32 Edited by DarthOrange (3867 posts) -

Promising!

#33 Posted by Fattony12000 (7527 posts) -

X

#34 Edited by RazielCuts (2976 posts) -
#35 Edited by Fattony12000 (7527 posts) -
#36 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

With the clear lack of 3rd party titles they have to save that for E3. At least I am pretty sure that will happen then.

A single, off-the-cuff comment from a developer should never be taken as gospel truth.

#37 Posted by AlexW00d (6306 posts) -

Bayonetta 2 interests me, but that's it. And I am not buying a console just for one game. Eff dat.

#38 Edited by Noblenerf (329 posts) -

Incredibly promising year for Wii U software. I'm really looking forward to SSBU and X. Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and the newest Ubisoft open-world-action-story game will be on my radar, though they are not likely purchases.

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem is the great unknown, though I guess it's not releasing this year. I hope it's really good.

#39 Edited by kishinfoulux (2402 posts) -

@zeik said:

@kishinfoulux: They've already released several trailers and it was announced not that long ago. It's a long way off from possibly being considered vaporware.

There's like 2 trailers from what I recall. I'm talking like a several minute gameplay walkthrough. I need to see the game in action properly. It's been long enough.

Shin Megami X Fire Emblem is the other vaporware. Has there even been a screenshot of that thing?

#40 Posted by Hunter5024 (5816 posts) -

Darji and Hailinel are arguing in a thread about the Wii U? Weird.

I'm almost certain we don't know all of the games that will be out on Wii U this year yet. Super Mario 3d World wasn't announced by this time last year. So it's still a little too early to judge their 2014 software lineup, though personally I'm not that excited. I'll probably play Mario Kart and Smash Bros with my friends, and I'll get Donkey Kong (even though I didn't really like the last one), but I don't care about Bayonetta and everything else has so little information it's hard to be excited for. I sure hope I'm right and they have some stuff lined up that we don't know about.

#41 Posted by JBG4 (423 posts) -

X is what I'm most looking forward to. I loved Xenoblade Chronicles and any return to that universe is welcomed by me.

#42 Edited by afabs515 (1188 posts) -

Hello Kitty Kruisers might do it for me. This may be the year I invest in a Wii U.

Seriously though, I'm interested to see more of Hyrule Warriors (name not final). They better keep that title! Also, I hope they update the graphics on that. I realize that Nintendo games can't be judged on graphics alone, but my god, that game looked worse that Twilight Princess.

"You know what I like, Vinny? Ground textures." - Ryan Davis, Dragonball Evolution Quick Look

I'm curious to see how well that turns out, cuz that seems like the one surprise title they have this year.

#43 Edited by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

I wouldn't call that line-up amazing or anything, but yeah, there's some games in there to get excited about.

#44 Posted by GiantLizardKing (480 posts) -

That lineup has some good games in it and all, but damn it sure is thin.Mario Kart and Smash bros. feel pretty perfunctory. Nintendo really needs to dig deep in the back catalog and push new IPs for this thing to be a success. That said, I'll eventually get one either way.

#45 Edited by TheHT (11524 posts) -

X and Smash Bros are the only ones I want to know more about. The character annoucements for Smash Bros have generally been underwhelming.

#46 Posted by Aegon (5704 posts) -

They need to announce and show off a lot of games at E3.

#47 Edited by demontium (4710 posts) -

@fattony12000:

wow I completely spaced on the fact that this game has fucking transformers and dinosaurs. It looks amazing. Heres the trailer.

#48 Posted by Fattony12000 (7527 posts) -

@fattony12000:

wow I completely spaced on the fact that this game has fucking transformers and dinosaurs. It looks amazing. Heres the trailer.

I know! Looks dope, right!? Did you play Xenoblade Chronicles? Also, don't be afraid to embed videos (and from places that aren't IGN!)!

And some GIFs!

#49 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Nintendo is sure to have more games for 2014, and I'm already liking the line-up so far. It's gonna be a good year for my Wii U. Honestly I have zero interest in the other consoles, it's basically just been Wii U / PC for me.

#50 Posted by johncallahan (582 posts) -

Does look like a really solid line-up. I really loved the last Donkey Kong game, so I'll be more than happy to play this one. My last Mario Kart game was Double-Dash (which I love dearly) so I'm about due for a new one. Bayonetta 2 can just be injected directly into my veins it's what finally pushed me over the edge on getting a Wii U.

I never really cared for the Smash games, I had a lot of fun with the N64 one and unlocking Mewtwo the proper way with two of my friends is one of my most poignant gaming memories. Still that series has never held the special place in my heart that it has for many others. That being said I'll gladly try a new one if for nothing else than Mega Man.

X is where you start to lose me, I remember being so excited for Xenoblade Chronicles. So much so that I went and imported it, and got my Wii to run it... only to play it and be utterly meh'd by it. Just didn't grab me, even after like 20 hours. Cool premise and great music, just didn't deliver with the rest.

I know! Looks dope, right!? Did you play Xenoblade Chronicles? Also, don't be afraid to embed videos (and from places that aren't IGN!)!

And some GIFs!

That being said.... Damn.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.