8GB model has 3GB of actual storage space

• 62 results
#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19020 posts) -

Thank god I got the 32GB.

#3 Posted by Marcsman (3227 posts) -

Talk about false advertising.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -

8GB isn't even enough space to install a single retail game, anyway. 3GB is more than enough for saves and some VC games anyway. They probably shouldn't be advertising it as an 8GB model, but it's not going to impact your expirence much.

#5 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

Strangely that one only has 2GB of actual storage.

#6 Posted by CaLe (4018 posts) -

And here I was thinking it was 2012. What a dummy.

#7 Posted by Dogma (975 posts) -

I don't say it's good but everyone does like this. You didn't get 20 GB of space on your original Xbox because 5-6 GB was taken by the system and some other clutter. There will always be stuff that takes up memory on the system level. But it's quite clear that Nintendo want u to hook up external harddrives to our Wii U:s.

#8 Posted by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

Ugh. I hate that.

This sort of thing seems to be getting worse and worse to the point that maybe there should be some rules enforced stating that the amount of memory advertised must be "available memory".

#9 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2362 posts) -

Hey at least we can put whatever hard drives we want and instead of Nintendo having a proprietary hard drive.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11987 posts) -
@ProfessorEss

Ugh. I hate that.

This sort of thing seems to be getting worse and worse to the point that maybe there should be some rules enforced stating that the amount of memory advertised must be "available memory".

Agreed.
#11 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

@Oscar__Explosion said:

Hey at least we can put whatever hard drives we want and instead of Nintendo having a proprietary hard drive.

Kind of a weird point to bring up on probably the most proprietary manufactured console

#12 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -

@Marcsman: there was a long talk about this sort of stuuf on the tested podacst last week. apparently the 32 gig surface only has about half of that usable which blows

#13 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

Don't all devices that have storage do this kind of stuff? I guess except for hard drives.

#14 Posted by JJOR64 (19020 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@JJOR64 said:

Strangely that one only has 2GB of actual storage.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#15 Posted by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

@Leviticus128 said:

@Marcsman: there was a long talk about this sort of stuuf on the tested podacst last week. apparently the 32 gig surface only has about half of that usable which blows

Yup. My work bought me one and though I don't remember how much was available I remember being shocked about it.

#16 Posted by theveej (839 posts) -

They had a good discussion about this kind of false advertisement about storage capacity on Tested podcast. Can't believe companies still get away with this kind of things... (yah most hard drives come with software/dedicated space for OS but when you talking about only 8 gb and in context of storage for a console, it becomes ridiculous)

Wii U seems like a cool console, but in more than a few ways it just seems like a half step. Unless I see a killer game from Nintendo (which I haven't seen from Nintendo since Mario Galaxy and even that wasn't enough for me to get a Wii) for the system, mark me uninterested. Specially since new consoles come out next year.

#17 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

I remember getting an 8GB ipod touch 5 years ago and being super bummed that I only actually had like 7GB instead....but this 3GB is just ridiculous.

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Worrying about having enough storage on a console is insane to me.

#19 Posted by bigsmoke77 (790 posts) -

@laserbolts: Even harddrives have separate partitions that the manufacturers create, they are mostly for backup and recover. You can get rid of them if your tech savvy enough.

#20 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

Kinda bummed and I got the 32 Gig model. I guess I should look on the slightly brighter side, it's not like the internal storage would have lasted users for very long especially those that are going heavy with the digital. I'm going to be going all boxed and only getting digital VC games so I should be fine with the 32 gig for at least the first year or so.

#21 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

It's pretty much fact that Nintendo thinks it's still 2001 and we're still in a console generation where you provide fuck all storage to players. So this isn't even surprising anymore. Pretty much a given that you're going to have a dedicated SD card or external drive if you intend to download much of anything.

#22 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

It's pretty much fact that Nintendo thinks it's still 2001 and we're still in a console generation where you provide fuck all storage to players. So this isn't even surprising anymore. Pretty much a given that you're going to have a dedicated SD card or external drive if you intend to download much of anything.

Since SD cards can't store retail level games I think anyone who owns a base model and wants to download more than one game will have to get an external drive. Heck a digital copy of Tekken Tag 2 on WiiU needs a whopping 17 Gigs of free space.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -

How the hell is OS stuff taking up 5 gigs? That drive should have around 5 GB free

#24 Posted by wafflestomp (251 posts) -

I think it is pretty awesome that you can use whatever drive you want. Yes I wish it had like 300 gigs inside, but whatever. Hard drives are cheap.

#25 Posted by MikkaQ (10317 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

How the hell is OS stuff taking up 5 gigs? That drive should have around 5 GB free

Yeah it's completely insane that a Nintendo OS/Firmware/Frontend is 5 gigs.

#26 Posted by Icemo (644 posts) -

I was first a bit sceptical about playing games installed in a external hard drive, but after researching a bit I guess my doubts were wrong.

Wii U has Usb 2.0 support and you can read data at the speed of 60 MB/s.

In comparison, Xbox 360 has a 12x DVD drive that can read data at the speed of 15.85 MB/s.

So it should be totally fine to just buy that basic Wii U model and install all your games at a cheap external hard drive.

#27 Posted by Brodehouse (10072 posts) -

My God.

#28 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

Not a single PC sold advertises the hard drive size subtracting the OS usage.

#29 Posted by fox01313 (5080 posts) -

The nintendo explanation presented on kotaku article is just nuts & while I know that some of the system memory & whatnot is usually expected to take up some of the drive space, that much space free to use on the basic model is rather crazy with over half the drive taken up with their stuff. Guess nintendo blocks to kb/gb conversion that the rest of the world uses is just hell.

#30 Posted by vikingdeath1 (982 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Worrying about having enough storage on a console is insane to me.

Ditto, few months ago when I FINALLY transferred from a 12GB to a 60GB 360 hard drive, not having to delete stuff Everytime I got something new was the greatest thing ever.

I never want those days to return!

#31 Posted by katimanic (116 posts) -

Not too sure where you got those numbers... The original Xbox came with a 10 gig harddrive with 8 gigs of it usable..

#32 Posted by Fawkes (249 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/why-the-8gb-wii-u-can-only-store-3gb-of-downloaded-games-and-dlc/

http://kotaku.com/5960438/nintendo-explains-the-wii-us-storage-options-in-the-strangest-way-possible

I hope you guys have SD cards and a couple of extra HDs lying around.

SD cards can't store any Wii U data, only Wii data. You can't put Wii U games or even saves on SD cards.

From Nintendo

7. Can I use an SD Card to use and save game data on the Wii U?

• For Wii U, SD Cards can be used for saving a picture of your Mii and QR Code patterns for your Mii but not as an external storage device for Wii U software. SD Cards can, however, be used in Wii mode to save data for Wii games. This data is managed through the Data Management feature in Wii mode. SD cards are also used to transfer data from Wii to Wii U.
#33 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2162 posts) -

So Nintendo is basically saying "We don't want a large portion of our users to buy downloadable games."

Alrighty then.

#34 Edited by Jams (2962 posts) -

If a external card is almost required, then why don't they just have a built in 2.5" sata expansion slot? People could shove ssd's in there and everyone's happy.

Because the way it is now, it seems like everyone's going to be having a dumb external drive right next to their wii u which kind of ruins any slim design ideas.

#35 Posted by ManMadeGod (1575 posts) -

@Manhattan_Project said:

So Nintendo is basically saying "We don't want a large portion of our users to buy downloadable games."

Alrighty then.

This. I'm seriously concerned for Nintendo next gen. They just don't get this whole online thing.

#36 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

What in the fuck. If they call it 8gb, at least have that memory separate from the software segment so that this doesn't happen.

#37 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

Talk about false advertising.

Companies should put more than 8gigs in the console initially when they know how much the OS and other stuff takes up, rather than advertising 8 and leaving you with less than half. Sleazy move for companies, but they seem to all do it.

#38 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2894 posts) -

You really have to wonder who at Nintendo was signing off of such a poorly planned and engineered system. They cut so many corners that you really wonder if they even though about how the system would be used in a 'real world' situation in the first few weeks let alone a year down the road.

#39 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Whoever thinks they are going to get away with downloading games on either model without having alternative storage ready is crazy. So I don't see it this as a huge change to what we knew.

I mean, 3gigs is bad, but so is 8 and so is 32. It's just been a given that you will need to get an hd too.

#40 Edited by Crash_Happy (724 posts) -

@Ducksworth: Actually that Ars Tech piece says that SD cards can only contain Mii's and pictures. External HD only for games?

Gah, hit reply too quickly got there ages ago.

#41 Posted by Village_Guy (2633 posts) -

Pretty much devices do that right, but this fairly severe, especially when you already are at such a small size.

#42 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

so will a 64gb usb flash memory stick work fine for the wii u? just wondering to plan ahead.

#43 Posted by Tobli (149 posts) -

@Blastroid said:

That is true, but in most of those the hdd space is far greater than this, and the os only uses a small fraction of that .

#44 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

@Tobli said:

@Blastroid said:

That is true, but in most of those the hdd space is far greater than this, and the os only uses a small fraction of that .

My first PC only had 4MB and they still advertised it as 4MB and it had DOS on it taking up a percentage of the space.

#45 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

Seems pretty stupid when it has become a bit of a standard to have a decent amount of memory with the system. Don't really want to put all that money down for a system and then pay more just to be able to download stuff

What I wonder is how this will effect the very casual and family market who don't realise or get that they need to buy extra storage for the WiiU. Although some of them will just play three games so it will never be a problem a lot will probably end up confused and annoyed.

It also seems an odd move after nintendo have been very focused on downloads with the 3DS

#46 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Apparently it is supposed to support 2TByte external drives though, so that should be decent enough.

#47 Edited by NoRemnants (384 posts) -

@Dogma said:

I don't say it's good but everyone does like this. You didn't get 20 GB of space on your original Xbox because 5-6 GB was taken by the system and some other clutter. There will always be stuff that takes up memory on the system level. But it's quite clear that Nintendo want u to hook up external harddrives to our Wii U:s.

That was a much smaller fraction of the total storage space though. You still had 75% of the advertised storage space available on the Xbox. The Wii U 8GB model only has 37% of it's advertised storage space available, not even enough to store a full game.

#48 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

I understand that some storage is used for the OS, but usually it's only a bit, not more than fucking half of what the advertised storage is.

#49 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

@Blastroid said:

@Tobli said:

@Blastroid said:

My first PC only had 4MB and they still advertised it as 4MB and it had DOS on it taking up a percentage of the space.

Don't forget when you buy something like a 3.5" HDD, it doesn't have to have an OS on it. You can have multiple drives that just have programs, backup or media on them. So it makes more sense to not advertise a computer HDD without regards to an OS.

#50 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Don't all devices that have storage do this kind of stuff? I guess except for hard drives.

No HDs do too. Formatted space is never the same as advertised/actual/physical whatever word.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.