Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

About the system updates...

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So I think I'm at that point where I can say I kinda want a Wii U. Now don't get me wrong, I have a ton of problems with the system. Meh selection of games, purchases tied to the console, weak hardware etc.

But you know, it does have some games I can honestly say I want. Sonic, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and maybe even Windwaker HD. If I ever see a Wii U for a decent price, I might just cave and buy one.

There's just one gigantic problem: The system updates.

I remember hearing about when the Wii U launched it had a massive 5gb (?) system update and if it got interrupted the system would brick. I live in the middle of nowhere and my internet is complete shit. Like, 1GB takes SIX HOURS to download. That would mean in order to download that update, I would have to leave my Wii U on for a minimum of 30 hours, not even counting all the updates released since then. My internet tends to crap out occasionally while downloading huge files, and I have no doubt it would do that with this.

What the funk am I supposed to do then? Buy a used Wii U with the updates already installed? Go to a friends house just to download the updates? Don't even buy a Wii U?

I remember the 360 had an option for some of the system updates where you can download it from the web and load it through the console via USB. Can anything like that be done for Wii U? Or perhaps new Wii U's come with the updates already installed?

Also before someone makes the smartass comment "get better internet" know that based on where I live that is not possible.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

If you buy the console now, chances are it'll have newer firmware than the launch release. So while you might still be required to do a system update, you probably don't need to worry about the monster day one update.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

On the Wii some of the first party games had the newest patch on disc. I assume the same thing will haappen with Wii U.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I know Wii Us have the day 1 patch now. Not sure about the Spring Update though. I would say take it to a friends house if you are that worried about it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hailinel said:

If you buy the console now, chances are it'll have newer firmware than the launch release. So while you might still be required to do a system update, you probably don't need to worry about the monster day one update.

My parents got one last week and we had to do the full thing. I suppose the stock could have just been that old though.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

But you know, it does have some games I can honestly say I want. Sonic

Nobody has uttered these words in 20 years.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

On the Wii, if you bought a new game and it required a system update the update was on the disc so you wouldn't need an internet connection. I don't know for sure since I downloaded the updates on my Wii U but I would guess that it works the same way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the answers duders. I think I'll wait and see if that Wind Waker HD bundle comes out and see if that needs updating. As long as it doesn't require the day one update, I'm fine with that.

@korwin said:

@turtlebird95 said:

But you know, it does have some games I can honestly say I want. Sonic

Nobody has uttered these words in 20 years.

Surely not. Sonic has always had a really creepy dedicated fanbase.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@turtlebird95: Not sure if you bought it yet or not (or simply decided not to pick up a Wii U) but I bought the Zelda bundle today and it had the large updates installed already. There was a small update that I had to download when I first went into the eShop channel that only lasted a few minutes (and that's on crappy college internet), so I think it might be safe for you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smtdante89: Oh shit, thanks for that! I haven't bought a Wii U yet and probably will hold off until I have a lot more disposable income, but that is great to hear!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.