Amidst all the craziness and hate...I bought a Wii U.

• 78 results
#1 Posted by Aegon (5496 posts) -

The Zelda bundle, in fact. It was on sale. I should receive it soon. Here is my explanation: I like video games and the Wii U has some and might have even more to come. I have never owned a home Nintendo console, so I don't have any sort of fatigue for their franchises, which is great, if they release first party games that don't suck (e.g. Super Mario 3D World). Now, this means if Nintendo can release a good amount of games on the Wii U and 3DS (Got one of those recently too) while I wait for the PS4 to (have games and) come down to a price I'm willing to pay, then I'm all set for this generation.

Here are some things I'm looking forward to playing:

• Wonderful 101
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Pikmin 3
  • X
  • Whatever the new Zelda is

If anyone is aware of something else on the horizon, feel free to mention it or any other reason to be excited about the Wii U.

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

By "all the craziness and hate", you mean this thread, right?

#3 Edited by Aegon (5496 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

By "all the craziness and hate", you mean this thread, right?

I mean all of them. As well as the articles and blogs.

#4 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

Because of you, Nintendo keeps making Zelda editions of every system!

I hope you're proud of yourself!

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -

@aegon: Bayonetta 2 is looking pretty nice; I played the demo at PAX Prime earlier this year and it's looking great. Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem also holds promise, though nothing on that game has really been shown other than a teaser.

#6 Posted by ManMadeGod (1559 posts) -

"I have never owned a home Nintendo console"

whaaaaaaaaaaat

#7 Posted by BigSocrates (302 posts) -

If you've never owned a Nintendo console the next question is do you like older games? Because if so then you have a LOT of great stuff available on virtual console. Earth...frickin'...bound.

#8 Posted by BongChilla (215 posts) -

I just recently got a Wii U also, primarily for X whenever that game comes out (I'm a Xeno fanatic). After using it for a little while I must say it's a neat system. I really like the gamepad and potential options that it can create.

I would like it if Nintendo would be a little quicker on announcing their games however. We all know a new Zelda and Metroid will be coming out, so just announce it already!

#9 Edited by noboners (77 posts) -

Rayman Origins is great on it, if you haven't played it on another system. Also ZombiU is worth $15, which is what it costs used nowadays. And while Nintendo Land is an absolute gimmick, that is another game that you can sometimes find used for $10 and has some decent minigames to play with friends.

And while it's not totally for me, people go crazy for that Monster Hunter stuff.

EDIT: Upon rereading the OP, I'm realizing you asked for future games. My bad,

#10 Edited by Scampbell (496 posts) -

The Wii U is actually my first Nintendo console too. Unfortunately for Nintendo, only the games I've bought will be visible statistically. As I bought it used. It seemed silly to not take advantage of its current unpopularity.

Super Mario 3D World is awesome and Nintendo decided to do the smart move and release A Link to the Past on the Virtual Console. Another game I need to play before I'll allow myself to play A Link Between Worlds.

#11 Posted by xyzygy (9949 posts) -

Good on you. I think it will be a good console when more games get released. Just wait until a new Metroid or Zelda on it. That will make me buy a Wii U.

#12 Edited by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

whaaaaaaaaaaat

I've only played 3-5 Nintendo games. :P

I'm 22.

#13 Posted by TruthTellah (8797 posts) -

Hey, that's cool. I hope you get plenty of fun from it. :)

@aegon said:

I have never owned a home Nintendo console,

Wait, whaaaat..?

#14 Posted by Aegon (5496 posts) -

@aegon said:

Wait, whaaaat..?

My friend had Nintendos, I had Playstations.

#15 Edited by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

@aegon said:

@truthtellah said:

@aegon said:

Wait, whaaaat..?

This statement makes me feel so old.

#16 Posted by TruthTellah (8797 posts) -

@aegon said:

@truthtellah said:

@aegon said:

Wait, whaaaat..?

This makes me feel really old, Aegon... ;_;

http://i.imgur.com/PxSMcF2.gif

I remember all the years before there even was a PlayStation... Sony just made my walkman...

#17 Posted by Aegon (5496 posts) -

@truthtellah: @demoskinos:

I don't know what to say guys. Saying that I feel old too wouldn't help.

You guys are probably not THAT much older than me (I'm 23).

#18 Posted by Dark (378 posts) -

@truthtellah: My sony walkman was the shit, I bet its still in a box in a cupboard somewhere and if I did find it and put batteries in it, it would STILL play dem tapes like a dream.

#19 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

Just a suggestion, but if you want to dig into Nintendo's Wii back catalog, the Wii U is backwards-compatible so find yourself cheap copies of Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Donkey Kong Country Returns, No More Heroes, and not-so-cheap copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Other than that, maybe add Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to the list since that's out in February.

And Earthbound. Buy Earthbound. Buy all the Earthbounds.

#20 Posted by xyzygy (9949 posts) -

@aegon: If this is your first Nintendo console you have SO much to catch up on... Metroid. Zelda. Mario. Start with those. Look in the VC for whatever. Man. Growing up with Nintendo was beautiful.

#21 Posted by TruthTellah (8797 posts) -

@dark said:

@truthtellah: My sony walkman was the shit, I bet its still in a box in a cupboard somewhere and if I did find it and put batteries in it, it would STILL play dem tapes like a dream.

*looks over at my Sony walkman*

*places batteries in it*

Yep, still works. Sounds like old times.

#22 Posted by gokaired (523 posts) -

Get Tatsunoko vs Capcom if you can find it. I think it's better than MvC3

#23 Edited by Aegon (5496 posts) -

@dalai: FUUUUUUCK. Will I never be able to get a copy of Xenoblade for a sane amount of money? I mean, I could technically play it for zero dollars if you get my drift, but...

#24 Posted by ripelivejam (3803 posts) -

so i bought two zelda editions in the span of little over a month, as well as buying wonderful 101, super mario 3d world, a link between worlds,and pokemon x in the last few weeks. so that equals almost $800 ive dumped on ninty in that time period. i must fucking love 'em (and/or be insane. don't answer that.)

#25 Posted by TruthTellah (8797 posts) -

@aegon said:

@dalai: FUUUUUUCK. Will I never be able to get a copy of Xenoblade for a sane amount of money? I mean, I could technically play it for zero dollars if you get my drift, but...

Nah, there are copies out there. Gamestop had some decent prices recently.

Heck, I even have a copy I could probably let go for a reasonable price. It's not as rare as it once was.

#26 Posted by Hunkulese (2699 posts) -

Get yourself a wii remote and nunchuck and play Super Mario Galaxy. I totally ruined 3D world by playing Galaxy right before though. Skyward Sword is also better than pretty much anything out on the Wii U right now.

#27 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5428 posts) -

Yiiipeeeeeeeeeee! I'll probably end up getting one sometime early next year. The number of reasons to get one have been slowly building and while I still feel there needs to be a few more solid games I'm interested in, I might just bite the bullet.

#28 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@aegon said:

I never understand why you can not buy it for a decent price in the US. It is still reasonable in most of Europe even on Amazon. Was it so supply constraint there?

#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@darji said:

Was it so supply constraint there?

Yes.

#30 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@darji said:

Was it so supply constraint there?

Yes.

Thank god this will not happen anymore in most cases. Thank you digital downloads XD

#31 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

I'm planning on getting one too. I've never owned a Nintendo console either, and the Virtual Console and backwards compatibility with the Wii make it seem like a decent platform to me. I'll just pick up all the Wii titles that are worth getting, and some classics from the 90's that I missed out on, and it's totally worthwhile.

#32 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

@aegon said:

@truthtellah said:

@aegon said:

Wait, whaaaat..?

I remember when this was "my friend had Nintendos, I had Segas"

#33 Posted by TruthTellah (8797 posts) -

@sergio said:
@demoskinos said:

@aegon said:

@truthtellah said:

@aegon said:

Wait, whaaaat..?

If only! More like "my friend had an atari, but I just had a macintosh".

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@sergio said:

I remember a time before electricity. Beat that.

#35 Edited by Aegon (5496 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@truthtellah said:

@sergio said:

Me too...a time called the Northeast blackout of 2003. It was hot, scary, and the stars were beautiful.

Everything melted in the grocery stores.

#36 Edited by TruthTellah (8797 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@sergio said:

I remember a time before matter expanded to such a state that electrons could be separate from nuclei.

Though, to be serious, I'm not intending that to be a brag. It's simply a statement on how crazy it is to consider the differences in perspective that can come over time between those of various ages, and in this instance, I feel old.

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

@aegon said:

@truthtellah: @demoskinos:

I don't know what to say guys. Saying that I feel old too wouldn't help.

You guys are probably not THAT much older than me (I'm 23).

I'm 30. =\

#38 Edited by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

@sergio said:
@demoskinos said:

@aegon said:

@truthtellah said:

@aegon said:

Wait, whaaaat..?

Yup. Thats what I broke my gaming teeth on. My dad had an old Apple II and I played Defender and Pac-man on the shitty black and green screen and thought it was the best thing ever. Kids these days. *shakes cane*

Just look at this bad boy! So much power under that hood!

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I remember a time before matter expanded to such a state that electrons could be separate from nuclei.

I remember a time before time itself. I'm not sure if what I'm remember is my own memory, though.

#40 Posted by RonGalaxy (3124 posts) -

whaaaaaaaaaaat

Ive only ever owned a wii, and I hated it. Not everyone is nostalgic for that company

#41 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

@sergio said:
@demoskinos said:

@aegon said:

@truthtellah said:

@aegon said:

Wait, whaaaat..?

Yea, I had an Atari 2600. Friend had an Intellivision.

#42 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -

@sergio said:

@truthtellah said:

@sergio said:
@demoskinos said:

@aegon said:

@truthtellah said:

@aegon said:

Wait, whaaaat..?

Yea, I had an Atari 2600. Friend had an Intellivision.

I had an NES. My friend also had an NES.

#43 Posted by Brendan (7763 posts) -

Wait a minute OP. You're the same age as me. You never had a console before the PlayStation 1 eh. Cray Cray.

#44 Posted by wchigo (544 posts) -

@aegon: Really? Cool, where'd you buy it from if you don't mind my asking? I've been working abroad and just came back home to visit for a couple weeks and while I wasn't originally really planning on picking one up, an opportunity came up to pick up the system for 200 + tax and that was a bit too good for me to pass on.

I also picked up 3D World and Rayman Legends for it and I'm wondering if I should pick up anything else for it before I fly out on Wednesday...

#45 Edited by TruthTellah (8797 posts) -

@manmadegod said:

whaaaaaaaaaaat

Ive only ever owned a wii, and I hated it. Not everyone is nostalgic for that company

You are a monster.

heh.

#46 Posted by Aegon (5496 posts) -

@wchigo: Bought it online via Chapters (Canadian store) for 210 + taxes.

#47 Posted by wchigo (544 posts) -

@aegon: Ah, a fellow Canadian. Yeah, I saw the deal as well and got it price matched at Best Buy. Ended up paying $199.99 + 13% HST on the system, which I thought was fair for what I was looking to get out of the system, so I pulled the trigger.

You getting anything else to go with it or just going to make due with Wind Waker for the time being?

#48 Edited by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Some games I've enjoyed that you haven't listed are ZombiU, LEGO City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Nintendo Land, and Sonic Lost World.

#49 Posted by Aegon (5496 posts) -

@wchigo: I have a lot of games to play. I just went with the deal since it's pretty big and my gut was telling me to pull the trigger. Wind Waker will do for now.

#50 Posted by GunstarRed (5118 posts) -

Super Castlevania IV is on the e shop. That's pretty rad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.