Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Amidst all the craziness and hate...I bought a Wii U.

• 79 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#51  Edited By Yummylee

I also began my gaming days with the PS1, and I've just turned 24. Although I did 'downgrade' to a Sega Megadrive II during that period as well. Never owned a NES/SNES nor have I played any of its games. Well, I've played Final Fight as a digital download on 360 least, and I tried FF6's PS1 version via PSN. But that's it.

Anywhoo, as for the topic at hand, if you're into strict survival horror games, maybe give ZombiU a gander/

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By Hunter5024

This thread is making me feel all sorts of different ages. I'm 22, but I started on a Genesis.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You're gonna be waiting a long time for that Zelda, my friend.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#54  Edited By MEATBALL

I really like my WiiU, I've played it plenty enough in the last year to be happy that I bought it at launch, and it's been a pretty great year for Nintendo games across 3DS and WiiU (even if the bulk of it has been 3DS :P). It sucks that it isn't selling, but man, it certainly can be draining seeing people harp on and on about it every day.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze hits in February, I think it's looking great. Hopefully Mario Kart and Smash Bros won't be far away after that. Hopefully Nintendo don't let any game droughts get too long. :/

I recommend giving NSMBU a shot, it's easily the best in the series, and the series' style for once actually looks really nice in HD. That said, I'd certainly prioritise SM3DW, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and W101 over it.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@meatball: How are Pikimin and Wonderful 101 for someone who doesn't play much in the way of the thinking mans games?, I know they aren't RTS games by any means but both seem to require some decent management of groups.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#56  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

You know, seeing all this first console talk reminds me that my first console, somehow, was a Sega Genesis (I'm only 19). I vividly remember going to the Walmart on a Sunday with my dad, because I asked for a game console. I was maybe only 4 or 5 at the time ( It was around 2000), so I have no idea how stores were still selling a console that came out 12 or so years before hand.

Because of my young age I never really became aware of all the great game available for the system. I only ever had 3 games for my genesis. Frogger, Sonic the Hedgehog and some racing game I can't for the life of me recall.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm genuinely envious of someone who hasn't owned a Nintendo system and gets a wiiU. Like, you've got a good fucking time ahead of you with those N64 classics.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

As someone who played earthbound for the first time ever this year I must enquire as to whether or not you have beaten Earthbound.

@aegon said:

@dalai: FUUUUUUCK. Will I never be able to get a copy of Xenoblade for a sane amount of money? I mean, I could technically play it for zero dollars if you get my drift, but...

Nah, there are copies out there. Gamestop had some decent prices recently.

Heck, I even have a copy I could probably let go for a reasonable price. It's not as rare as it once was.

What's a reasonable price?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So you never had a Wii?.. That makes buying a WiiU a no-brainer. There are loads of fantastic games on the Wii and you get the whole back-catalogue. I honestly think the WiiU is worth a purchase now purely on it's exclusives, but taking into account all of the Wii's rich history it's a huge deal.

I hope you enjoy it.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By BaneFireLord
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#62  Edited By musubi

I'm genuinely envious of someone who hasn't owned a Nintendo system and gets a wiiU. Like, you've got a good fucking time ahead of you with those N64 classics.

Well that is just the thing though isn't it? If you've never had that level of attachment to those games would they even hold up for someone in 2013 who doesn't have that attachment?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By crusader8463

I was tempted to get one during the black Friday sale when it was $250, but I just said no. None of the games really interest me that much to plop down $300+, there's absolutely nothing announced that they are working on that appeals to me, and I have heard too many horror stories about the piss poor battery life in the controler to not wait for their gen 2 model of the system.

If sales keep on tanking like they have been I'm guessing we will see a big price drop and a hardware revision come this E3. I'm mainly waiting till E3 to see what the future for that thing holds and if it's more of the same then I'm just going to pass until they are $25 at gas stations or are giving them away in cereal boxes.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you feel that you've got your money's worth, then that's all that matters. Me personally I'll never buy a Wii U. The console doesn't have alot of games that interests me. I'm not willing to make the same mistake as I did with the GameCube. Where I solo bought the console to play the exclusive Resident Evil Titles, but after that it was hardly any games worth playing for me...except Geist I'll give that a pass.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: I think so, personally. But I see your point.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@wampa1: The Wonderful 101 doesn't really require any management of the group. You only control the one at the front and when you get hit and they all get scattered they all magnetically snap back to you after a couple of seconds. This seems to be the biggest misconception about the game. TW101 is an action game with more in common with Bayonetta than Pikmin.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@aegon said:

The Zelda bundle, in fact. It was on sale. I should receive it soon. Here is my explanation: I like video games and the Wii U has some and might have even more to come. I have never owned a home Nintendo console, so I don't have any sort of fatigue for their franchises, which is great, if they release first party games that don't suck (e.g. Super Mario 3D World). Now, this means if Nintendo can release a good amount of games on the Wii U and 3DS (Got one of those recently too) while I wait for the PS4 to (have games and) come down to a price I'm willing to pay, then I'm all set for this generation.

Here are some things I'm looking forward to playing:

• Wonderful 101
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Pikmin 3
    • X
    • Whatever the new Zelda is

If anyone is aware of something else on the horizon, feel free to mention it or any other reason to be excited about the Wii U.

Strongly consider ZombiU. And get Toki Tori 2+ off the eShop as it's one of the smartest games of the year that actually respects the player and teaches you EVERYTHING without a single word of text. It looks like a phone game but don't let that fool you. And make sure to play Pikmin 3 with a Wiimote Plus and Nunchuk with the GamePad on its stand for the nav-features.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who played earthbound for the first time ever this year I must enquire as to whether or not you have beaten Earthbound.

@truthtellah said:

@aegon said:

@dalai: FUUUUUUCK. Will I never be able to get a copy of Xenoblade for a sane amount of money? I mean, I could technically play it for zero dollars if you get my drift, but...

Heck, I even have a copy I could probably let go for a reasonable price. It's not as rare as it once was.

Like... $40 or something? Plus whatever shipping. I don't really sell a lot of stuff. ha.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#70  Edited By Slag

@jiggajoe14 said:

@truthtellah said:

@aegon said:

Like... $40 or something? Plus whatever shipping. I don't really sell a lot of stuff. ha.

fwiw last I saw it was around 60 bones on Amazon if you bought used. Haven't seen one at a Gamestop in about a year and I've been looking :/

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without the nostalgia none of the N64 classics really hold up except Super Mario 64.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecofthewest said:

Without the nostalgia none of the N64 classics really hold up except Super Mario 64.

I'd say Majora's still holds up. Also Mischief Makers.

But yeah, for the most part I've found that controls get in the way a lot; tried playing Goldeneye on an N64 a couple months ago and it was really hard to get used to. Dunno if it would be worse on a WiiU Pro controller (or whatever)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with the good old C16. Man these 20 minute loading times were so great.

No Caption Provided

After that of course he NES. Only had spent a little time with Aari and never really enjoyed that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@quantris said:
    @hunkulese said:

@alecofthewest said:

I'd say Majora's still holds up. Also Mischief Makers.

But yeah, for the most part I've found that controls get in the way a lot; tried playing Goldeneye on an N64 a couple months ago and it was really hard to get used to. Dunno if it would be worse on a WiiU Pro controller (or whatever)

Mischief Makers is so much fun. Easily one of the best games on the platform.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

New Super Luigi U is the greatest 2D platformer to date. I strongly recommend it. Vanilla U is also pretty good and if you haven't had any other Nintendo consoles then I recommend you buy and play that before downloading Luigi U. Or buy it separately for $10 more if you really want that green box.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Hunkulese

New Super Luigi U is the greatest 2D platformer to date. I strongly recommend it. Vanilla U is also pretty good and if you haven't had any other Nintendo consoles then I recommend you buy and play that before downloading Luigi U. Or buy it separately for $10 more if you really want that green box.

That's a pretty big claim calling it the best 2D platform to date when there were numerous other 2D platformers released this year that were better.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@darthorange said:

That's a pretty big claim calling it the best 2D platform to date when there were numerous other 2D platformers released this year that were better.

Nothing like colliding subjective arguments to remind you that you're on the internet.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from the fact that I now feel ancient...

The Wii U seems like a fine console, the problem for Nintendo is it looks like all those non-gamers aren't going to make the jump from the Wii any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see them competitive going forward, or at least much more than they seem to be now. I've been studying them from an investment standpoint and I think the nay saying is over exaggerated and faith in their brand will go up with some smart business decisions.

Yes I'm so old I'm playing the stock market more than games.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Hunkulese

@hailinel said:

@hunkulese said:

@darthorange said:

Nothing like colliding subjective arguments to remind you that you're on the internet.

Isn't that why we're all here?

Not to mention the fact that the entire point of this thread was to ask for subjective opinions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.