Anyone know if the Wii U will utilize Dolby Digital?

#1 Edited by NTM (7374 posts) -

After I got optical cables for my home theater system last year, I was testing games out and reading up on everything Dolby, which came to my surprise that my set up is now out of date when it comes to watching film. Anyways, when I was looking forward to playing any game that I could in Dolby Digital sound, I found out for the first time that the Wii doesn't support Dolby Digital, only Dolby Pro Logic II. Now maybe not everyone's like me, but I find it slightly harder to go back to things that don't use Dolby Digital, and I was just wondering since Wii U is getting into the HD business, will it also support Dolby Digital, or better? I wonder when all systems will jump to Dolby TrueHD, or even Dolby Digital Plus.

#2 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
I don't think we know anything about the Wii U yet, other than the controller.
#3 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Believe it or not, not all ps3 games have dolby digital. I remember some of the guitar hero games not having a dolby selection in the options menu, like most of them do. AND for some games to use dolby, it required a firmware for whatever reason. I bought my ps3, put in Virtua Fighter 5, and wondered why there was no dolby? Updated the same, took an hour,and came back... Playing in dolby.

BUT if nintendos going to actually have a 720p/1080p capable console, then they really should have an HDMI port. Its cheap and easy to manufacter. And just having an HDMI port, allows for dolby pass through, just like my computers stock Hdmi connection. The signal just passes through without any decoding. Meaning it would be up to the publisher. But still.... We don't know exactly what all the wii u has. People tried telling me the wii had an optical port.... And you see how wrong they were.

#4 Posted by Dalai (7028 posts) -
@thechronodarkness said:

Believe it or not, not all ps3 games have dolby digital. I remember some of the guitar hero games not having a dolby selection in the options menu, like most of them do. AND for some games to use dolby, it required a firmware for whatever reason. I bought my ps3, put in Virtua Fighter 5, and wondered why there was no dolby? Updated the same, took an hour,and came back... Playing in dolby.

BUT if nintendos going to actually have a 720p/1080p capable console, then they really should have an HDMI port. Its cheap and easy to manufacter. And just having an HDMI port, allows for dolby pass through, just like my computers stock Hdmi connection. The signal just passes through without any decoding. Meaning it would be up to the publisher. But still.... We don't know exactly what all the wii u has. People tried telling me the wii had an optical port.... And you see how wrong they were.

The Wii U does have an HDMI port so it's definitely possible. That said, Nintendo hasn't said enough about the audio to confirm Dolby Digital... or pretty much anything other than the controller having a huge screen.
#5 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

It should, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't. Nintendo hardware is always pathetically underpowered YEAH I SAID IT COME AT ME

#6 Posted by NTM (7374 posts) -

@thechronodarkness: Holy crap this is old, and I never knew this had any replies. I was checking for this same question on Google, and I found this, ha ha. Anyways, yes, I know some of the older game on PS3, and even 360 only used Pro Logic II.

#7 Posted by NTM (7374 posts) -

Also, I can be done with this thread because I just found out that it does support 5.1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.