Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Anything worth playing on Wii U?

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Got one for $150 on sale, looking to pick up a game on it. What would you recommend?

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

yes, Monster Hunter.

thats it....that's all I got....

Oh yeah!....No...no never mind. Well...Lego City is alright....actually I really enjoyed my time with it, but FUuuuuuuuuuuuckkk those loooooad times!

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Depends on your tastes, but I'm actually digging ZombiU a fair bit.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. It's hours of gameplay if you really get into it. You can play most of it single player, but the multiplayer is where it really shines.

New Super Mario Bros. U. Despite coming out so closely to New Super Mario Bros. 2, it's a lot better. Honestly. I was hesitant to get it because I got the 3DS title when it came out, but New Super Mario Bros. U has the best level design in 2D Mario since Super Mario World, IMO. Plus, the DLC came out yesterday (New Super Luigi U), which takes all the existing courses and alters them to make them more challenging, plus playing as Luigi is completely different than Mario (you wouldn't think it makes a big difference, but it does).

Nintendo Land is a good game too, if you're planning on getting the Deluxe make sure you play it for a bit. It's actually pretty fun, especially if you're into Nintendo's catalogue of titles.

Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed is a really great kart racer. I managed to pick it up on sale for $19.99 and I don't regret it one bit. It's a really good rival to Mario Kart IMO. It has a lot more modes than Mario Kart typically offers and the fact that each lap changes up what you race in (Kart, Aircraft, Watercraft) makes each race feel fresh.

ZombiU is a pretty good horror title but definitely not for everyone. I owned it but sold it quickly because it legitimately made me unease playing and I couldn't get through it.

If you're interested in downloadable titles on the eShop, Toki Tori 2 is really good too. It's one of the best Puzzle games I've played lately and it constantly makes you want to explore (kind of like Metroid). Each stage has multiple paths so if you're into completing games 100%, you'll come back for more.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Where is this $150 sale? The only games that looked good on it were Lego City and Lego City. Seeing the terrible load times however turned me off of it. I also heard Monster Hunter is good if you like those games.

WileyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Pikmin 3 is out soon. Hoping that will help justify my purchase.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Zombi U is the only current thing out that I'd play.

Bayonetta 2 looks AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHMAZING. If I had the system, that would be a day one for me.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I've mostly been using it to catch up on Wii games I missed. Metroid Other M isn't as bad as people say, and Kirby's Epic Yarn is cool too.

xxxlynchxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xxxlynchxxx

I thought ZombiU was pretty good... That's all I have played on mine though, so take it with a grain of salt...

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Where the hell did you get a Wii U for $150? I'd totally buy one for that price.

I dunno about disc games, but on the Virtual Console there's this game called Super Metroid that's pretty cool...

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463 said:

Where is this $150 sale? The only games that looked good on it were Lego City and Lego City. Seeing the terrible load times however turned me off of it. I also heard Monster Hunter is good if you like those games.

A major retailer in my country decided to stop stocking Wii U's. They sold out pretty fast, lucky I reserved one. It comes out to be about $115USD including tax, so I think I got a pretty decent deal, it's a pretty cool bit of tech, the tablet screen is pretty great, so I don't have buyers remorse at all. Been digging the Rayman Legends Challenges app but the full game is coming out on other systems anyway, I actually can't believe that there is no Wii Sports U on it or announced, doesn't Nintendo realize that was the game that made the Wii so popular?

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. It's hours of gameplay if you really get into it. You can play most of it single player, but the multiplayer is where it really shines.

New Super Mario Bros. U. Despite coming out so closely to New Super Mario Bros. 2, it's a lot better. Honestly. I was hesitant to get it because I got the 3DS title when it came out, but New Super Mario Bros. U has the best level design in 2D Mario since Super Mario World, IMO. Plus, the DLC came out yesterday (New Super Luigi U), which takes all the existing courses and alters them to make them more challenging, plus playing as Luigi is completely different than Mario (you wouldn't think it makes a big difference, but it does).

Nintendo Land is a good game too, if you're planning on getting the Deluxe make sure you play it for a bit. It's actually pretty fun, especially if you're into Nintendo's catalogue of titles.

Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed is a really great kart racer. I managed to pick it up on sale for $19.99 and I don't regret it one bit. It's a really good rival to Mario Kart IMO. It has a lot more modes than Mario Kart typically offers and the fact that each lap changes up what you race in (Kart, Aircraft, Watercraft) makes each race feel fresh.

ZombiU is a pretty good horror title but definitely not for everyone. I owned it but sold it quickly because it legitimately made me unease playing and I couldn't get through it.

If you're interested in downloadable titles on the eShop, Toki Tori 2 is really good too. It's one of the best Puzzle games I've played lately and it constantly makes you want to explore (kind of like Metroid). Each stage has multiple paths so if you're into completing games 100%, you'll come back for more.

I got the basic Wii U bundle, the black one was 200, I might pick up Nintendo Land it seems to be the game to show off the Wii U capability. Any decent JRPG's for the Wii U, or even on the Wii since I missed that system.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TehPickle

I agree with Monster Hunter - that's the reason I bought my WiiU. Other than that, ZombieU, Resi Evil Revelations and NSMB are all pretty good.

It's a shame you only just bought it, they've been practically giving away some virtual console stuff over the last few months.

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tehpickle said:

I agree with Monster Hunter - that's the reason I bought my WiiU. Other than that, ZombieU, Resi Evil Revelations and NSMB are all pretty good.

It's a shame you only just bought it, they've been practically giving away some virtual console stuff over the last few months.

Yeah Monster Hunter doesn't really appeal to me, played it on the PSP in the past. Might just catch up on the Wii catalogue. Virtual console is really lacking in my territory, was looking to get FFVI on SNES but there is only like 10 SNES games on there.

What Mario Galaxy is the better out of the 2?

Zelda Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword?

Anyone got a cool JRPG recommendation on the Wii?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have said, Monster Hunter. Bought my Wii U just for that game and don't regret it =)

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandergermanshepard: Wow you got really lucky considering it's like $350-$400. I refuse to buy one at that price given how little there is worth playing on it, but for $150 I would have picked one up. The Wii U sports you are looking for is that Nintendo Land amusement park thing they released bundled with a few of the editions. It's more of a mini game collection, but it's their pack in equivalent to the Wii Sports that came in the original Wii.

If you are looking for Wii games, take a look at the Wii section of my Backlog. I have yet to play them so I can't speak for how good they are, but I spent several hours last year doing research on all the Wii games that were out at the time and those were the ones I ended up buying. I plugged in my Wii and never got around to playing anything on it, but the trailers for the games looked neat at least. A couple JRPG's are on there I believe.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TehPickle

@commandergermanshepard: Both Galaxy games are totally great. Pick either and you can't go far wrong.

I haven't actually played Skyward Sword (I'd gone cold on Wii by that point) so I can't say for certain between the two. Twilight Princess isn't a bad game, but I found it to be a slightly underwhelming Zelda game.

Shame you dont like Monster Hunter really. I took a punt on it (having never played or really looked into the previous games) and had a blast for at least 150 hours. It's got a slow start, but the multiplayer mode can be a lot of fun.

CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandergermanshepard: Both Galaxy games are totally great. Pick either and you can't go far wrong.

I haven't actually played Skyward Sword (I'd gone cold on Wii by that point) so I can't say for certain between the two. Twilight Princess isn't a bad game, but I found it to be a slightly underwhelming Zelda game.

Shame you dont like Monster Hunter really. I took a punt on it (having never played or really looked into the previous games) and had a blast for at least 150 hours. It's got a slow start, but the multiplayer mode can be a lot of fun.

Well it will be my first Zelda game ever, never owned a Nintendo console before.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandergermanshepard: Gosh! Honestly though, I dont reckon that either of the Wii Zelda games make for a good first Zelda game.

Handily enough, Wind Waker HD is coming in the not too distant future. I would absolutely recommend that. I totally adored the GameCube version. In spite of some of it's failings. It's probably my personal favourite Zelda game. I just found it incredibly, incredibly special.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles (aftermarket inflation on this one is steep, but worth it around $100), maybe Pandora's Tower, and...umm...Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, but it is a major step down from its predecessor. The good news is you'll have a new Monolithsoft game at some point, and that SMT/Fire Emblem hybrid in the future as well.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I guess this is a good place to ask . Is an 8gb wii U enough space if I don't plan on buying any digital games ? Because I wouldn't mind saving $60 bucks , and I want one because of the Pikmin 3 .

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I guess this is a good place to ask . Is an 8gb wii U enough space if I don't plan on buying any digital games ? Because I wouldn't mind saving $60 bucks , and I want one because of the Pikmin 3 .

If you don't take advantage of the eShop, probably. Worst case scenario, you can connect an external HDD to the Wii U.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

New Super Luigi U came out as add-on content to New Super Mario Bros. U that is worth trying out.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

New Super Luigi U came out as add-on content to New Super Mario Bros. U that is worth trying out.

How much space does that take up ?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@jeffrud said:

@commandergermanshepard said:

The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles (aftermarket inflation on this one is steep, but worth it around $100), maybe Pandora's Tower, and...umm...Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, but it is a major step down from its predecessor. The good news is you'll have a new Monolithsoft game at some point, and that SMT/Fire Emblem hybrid in the future as well.

Pandora's Tower is less an RPG and more of an action-adventure.

madmidknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By madmidknight

NSMBU

SLU

Both are awesome.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandergermanshepard said:

I got the basic Wii U bundle, the black one was 200, I might pick up Nintendo Land it seems to be the game to show off the Wii U capability. Any decent JRPG's for the Wii U, or even on the Wii since I missed that system.

Xenoblade Chronicles if you're able to find it. It's definitely the best on the console, might even be the best on consoles in general. The developers (Monolith Soft) are making a new JRPG that's similar on the Wii U simply titled as "X" for now. It looks to be very similar to Xenoblade Chronicles, but they haven't really said much about the game.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.