Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Are Nintendo going to fix the load times?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pompouspizza

I'm really enjoying the Wii U but man they're so bad, so bad in fact while I was loading up the eshop I thought it had froze so I turned the system off and back on then realized it really just takes a long time to load.

Has Nintendo said anything about the load times?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By morningstar

Not that Im aware of. Lets hope though, they are abysmal.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

It's very possible that firmware updates down the line could improve system load times and performance. That being said, while the load times are definitely there, I think people are being hyperbolic when talking about how bad they are.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

The most offensive thing about the Wii U for me is not the load times but the fact that companies still think glossy black plastic is a good idea. Yuck...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaggE

@Sooty said:

The most offensive thing about the Wii U for me is not the load times but the fact that companies still think glossy black plastic is a good idea. Yuck...

Exactly. I'd rather have "boring" matte black than a shiny black that looks good for 3.5 seconds after you first lay hands on it.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Zekhariah

@Hailinel said:

It's very possible that firmware updates down the line could improve system load times and performance. That being said, while the load times are definitely there, I think people are being hyperbolic when talking about how bad they are.

After becoming used to devices that theoretically have much slower processors and similar non-volatile storage, I'm comfortable saying that the WiiU load times are not acceptable in a basic technically competent sense. You probably do not need to go to the setup menu very often, but items like Mii Verse and social features should load instantly.

I personally do not care about this issue to much (I do not currently own any games with good co-op or multiplayer centric experiences coming on my Wii U). But in the long term, it seems like something rather decrepit x360 is superior at somehow, and limits the consoles potential. Which is again, not what that big of a deal necessarily. But it still seems a bit silly.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PillClinton

@ShaggE said:

@Sooty said:

Exactly. I'd rather have "boring" matte black than a shiny black that looks good for 3.5 seconds after you first lay hands on it.

The piano black finish is one of the worst scourges on modern hardware design. At least Sony (kind of) learned their lesson.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

@Zekhariah said:

@Hailinel said:

After becoming used to devices that theoretically have much slower processors and similar non-volatile storage, I'm comfortable saying that the WiiU load times are not acceptable in a basic technically competent sense. You probably do not need to go to the setup menu very often, but items like Mii Verse and social features should load instantly.

I personally do not care about this issue to much (I do not currently own any games with good co-op or multiplayer centric experiences coming on my Wii U). But in the long term, it seems like something rather decrepit x360 is superior at somehow, and limits the consoles potential. Which is again, not what that big of a deal necessarily. But it still seems a bit silly.

I'm sorry that you don't have the patience to wait a few seconds.

SirShandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SirShandy

The miiverse is in many ways the core of the wiiu experience, so it's important that they are able reduce the time it takes to get into that as much as possible. Also, it's kind of annoying how hitting the home menu button automatically exits you from miiverse, and you have to reload it. I un derstand if you already have a game running in the background, but they really need to have the miiverse aspect as seamless as possible. As for the rest of the OS, some things load quickly for me, like eshop and the internet, while basic applications like the set-up menu take a while. But, nintendo has done firmware update's for all their recent hardware to optimize the OS, there's no reason they wouldn't do that here as well.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By TruthTellah

@pompouspizza: No? I'm sure firmware updates will improve them by a little bit over time, but I highly doubt they will ever make them particularly speedy or "fixed". It may just be the nature of the console. In general, it's a bummer, but you'll get used to it.

primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By primalmaster

Miiverse isn't to bad for usualy takes about 6-7 seconds, eshop is twice that. but seeing as I'm not constantly hoping in and out of either of those it's not that big of a deal for me.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ShaggE said:

@Sooty said:

Also eco cases. 
    Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Blastroid

I think they need to have an option to load the tile menu only and leave all the online look at what other people scribbled Mii view off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.