Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Backwards compatibility and downloadables...

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

Man I love me some Nintendo. But for every thing Nintendo does right, they do something just as wrong. The Wii never started "gathering dust" or whatever in my setup; There is always a time inbetween PS3, 360 and PC games where I want to disconnect from the world entire and play something, for lack of better words, Nintendo-y. So I picked up Skyward Sword again, and it's been a nice holiday of sorts (Zelda games do get drawn out as they go along; My remedy is to spread out the play sessions pretty thin).

My Wii is kinda busted. Fritzed vram, flickering pixels, whining disc drive, and I've been putting off getting a replacement because a) it's kind of a hassle and b) Wii U this year, and backwards compatibility right? Sweet!

Except I have a pretty strong feeling Nintendo is going to botch this thing in one of three ways, if not all three:

1. My Wii downloadable games will not run on the Wii U. I'm one of those that actually bought a fair bunch, not to mention the virtual console stuff.
    2. My Wii downloadable games will not be transferable to the Wii U, given that the Wii and Nintendo WFC (what a name) don't implement "real" user accounts but rather key purchases by console. Hell, my 3DS "user account" barely feels like one.
    3. Nintendo will "remedy" this by allowing you some sort of repurchase-based solution. The fuckers.

I dunno guys. How do you feel about the prospect of moving your Wii usage over to the Wii U? I'm really worried I'm gonna have to keep my Wii around :-/

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

Man I love me some Nintendo. But for every thing Nintendo does right, they do something just as wrong. The Wii never started "gathering dust" or whatever in my setup; There is always a time inbetween PS3, 360 and PC games where I want to disconnect from the world entire and play something, for lack of better words, Nintendo-y. So I picked up Skyward Sword again, and it's been a nice holiday of sorts (Zelda games do get drawn out as they go along; My remedy is to spread out the play sessions pretty thin).

My Wii is kinda busted. Fritzed vram, flickering pixels, whining disc drive, and I've been putting off getting a replacement because a) it's kind of a hassle and b) Wii U this year, and backwards compatibility right? Sweet!

Except I have a pretty strong feeling Nintendo is going to botch this thing in one of three ways, if not all three:

1. My Wii downloadable games will not run on the Wii U. I'm one of those that actually bought a fair bunch, not to mention the virtual console stuff.
    2. My Wii downloadable games will not be transferable to the Wii U, given that the Wii and Nintendo WFC (what a name) don't implement "real" user accounts but rather key purchases by console. Hell, my 3DS "user account" barely feels like one.
    3. Nintendo will "remedy" this by allowing you some sort of repurchase-based solution. The fuckers.

I dunno guys. How do you feel about the prospect of moving your Wii usage over to the Wii U? I'm really worried I'm gonna have to keep my Wii around :-/

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

If I could transfer games between the DSi and 3DS, I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't offer the opportunity to transfer Wii games to the Wii U.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

@Hailinel said:

If I could transfer games between the DSi and 3DS, I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't offer the opportunity to transfer Wii games to the Wii U.

If it's like DSi-to-3DS transfer, Grill-Off and R-Type are probably going to be stuck on my Wii forever. That's not ideal.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BonOrbitz

It's too early to tell, but for some reason I'd be surprised if Nintendo doesn't allow us to transfer our VC and Wiiware games to the WiiU. We may not be able to transfer between systems, but I betcha there will be a way to link our WiiU's to our accounts and will just have to re-download everything.

Speaking from experience, getting a replacement Wii is not any more a hassle than returning or replacing something from Amazon.com. It's pricey ($80) and I had to re-download all VC/Wiiware content I previously purchased. That part was a bit of a hassle because I've purchased a ton of stuff as well, but at least I have piece of mind knowing that my Wii is in tip-top shape.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.