Can You Play Wii Games on the Wii U Game Pad Screen?

#1 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

You can switch Wii U games to your Game Pad if someone wants to use the TV. Can you play Wii games on the Game Pad screen too?

#2 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@insouciant No.
#3 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

That sucks.

#4 Posted by RE_Player1 (7574 posts) -

Nope. I hope they patch in features like that, playing Wii games or Virtual console games on the gamepad sound cool, but I have little faith.

#5 Posted by Rave (376 posts) -

How would that work though considering most wii games used the wii remote so without a sensor or anything on that screen most games wouldn't work.

I wonder if they do put GameCube games on though if they would, that could be potentially amazing. Playing some metroid prime or wind waker on that screen would be great.

#6 Posted by PandaBear (1379 posts) -

That sounds like a nightmare.

#7 Posted by JJOR64 (19052 posts) -

@msavo said:

Nope. I hope they patch in features like that, playing Wii games or Virtual console games on the gamepad sound cool, but I have little faith.

Nintendo recently stated they are looking into VC games to play on the Gamepad whenever the VC launches on the Wii U.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (19052 posts) -
#9 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

I was wondering this same thing long ago. That almost would have been a compelling reason to get a WiiU in itself. (the main issue obviously being that many games require wii remote)

Oh it would be cool if this was taken one step further by allowing WiiU gamepad to act as a nunchuk+remote assuming the game didn't use motion controls or IR. In fact maybe you could even map waggle as a button. Anything that used motion controls in a major way obv wouldnt work but you'd be able to cover a lot more Wii games this way than if it was just classic controller. Maybe also map righthand thumbstick to pointing, it would least let you get by in games that require pointing in their main menus, and hey maybe even SMG would be playable this way.

You know what's funny, this is almost just like how you couldn't use Wii to play Gamecube games with Wii classic controller, as then there was seemingly no reason it couldn't have been implemented. (Well there is a logical explanation, supposedly the GC support is literally nothing but a GC attached to the Wii, which makes sense why you use GC controllers and memory cards, but still.. it seems like there should have been a way)

#10 Posted by Shortbreadtom (848 posts) -

How would that even work? Given you have to be standing in most cases (and even if you don't have to stand, you still need to use motions), and there isn't a sensor bar on the gamepad. Are you suggesting you would hold the Wii remote in one hand, and the gamepad in the other? Or would you use the stand and place the gamepad on that? But at that point, why not just use the TV?

#11 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

@Rave @Shortbreadtom: Yeah I wasn't thinking about that. That would be impossible. I was just thinking of playing Virtual Console games on it.

#12 Posted by DeF (4958 posts) -

@Shortbreadtom: There IS a sensor bar on the gamepad.

@msavo said:

It will never be patched in since Wii Mode reboots the system as a straight up Wii for perfect hardware-based "emulation", as opposed to software emulation (which is far less accurate, more resource intensive but would allow for additional features). Honestly, the best case scenario right now is them doing HD Collections of some of the best Wii games and putting GCN games on Virtual Console which will then be playable on the GamePad. Wii Mode will forever stay as it is, I can pretty much guarantee that.

#13 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

There is something really wrong at Nintendo when you need a major patch to fix things

#14 Edited by Filiwipie (1 posts) -

Actually, it WOULD be possible!

The black bar around the camera of the gamepad funcions as a sensor bar during multiplayer games (as described in the manual).

The only problem would be the distance, so that the wiimote is ot too close to the sensor bar, nut you are still close enough to see the screen.

#15 Edited by Robbie06261995 (1 posts) -

You can play them now!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.