Chase Mii Proves Wii U's Beer-Fueled Multiplayer Potential

Posted by patrickklepek (5460 posts) -
Only one player holds all the power in Chase Mii.

Hands down, I’d say Chase Mii provided the best demonstration, in the simplest terms, of design implications for multiplayer on Wii U.

One Toad-like Mii person thing holds the new controller (have we decided on a collective name for that yet?), and is tasked with running away from four other players who are playing with standard Wii remotes. The guy on the run holds all the keys to the information castle. The Wii U controller has a full-scale map, complete with real-time details on where the four other characters on. It’s up to the other four to communicate verbally and work together to tackle the man with the touch screen.

It only takes moments for the concept to click and everyone to start yelling, cursing and trying to cover up the screen of the guy with the fancy controller. It’s just a basic concept here, though, and while it’s clear this specifically wouldn’t hold up for more than a few rounds, it’s easy to imagine where something like this might go—and how a few beers would make the whole experience a million times more absurd.

The key here is the lack of information for all the other players. For large stretches of time, we’d be playing and no one would have an idea where our target was hiding. Silence, followed by screaming. They’d make a break for it, and we’d have to yell ambush strategies to lure them out of hiding. Your character can run just a wee big faster than the target, a fair tradeoff for the amount of information at their disposal.

Being on the flipside is just plain stressful. You’d think knowing everything would put you in control of the situation, but the reality is exactly the opposite. You have too much information to process all at once, and the head start you get to hide from everyone means very little as four players begin to spread out in search of you. The fact that those players have no information means their actions are sometimes so random that you’re unable to use the information you have to any real advantage.

I don’t think Chase Mii is the next Wii Sports, but it does accomplish a similar goal of communicating what the controller’s capable of to both players and those watching.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (5460 posts) -
Only one player holds all the power in Chase Mii.

Hands down, I’d say Chase Mii provided the best demonstration, in the simplest terms, of design implications for multiplayer on Wii U.

One Toad-like Mii person thing holds the new controller (have we decided on a collective name for that yet?), and is tasked with running away from four other players who are playing with standard Wii remotes. The guy on the run holds all the keys to the information castle. The Wii U controller has a full-scale map, complete with real-time details on where the four other characters on. It’s up to the other four to communicate verbally and work together to tackle the man with the touch screen.

It only takes moments for the concept to click and everyone to start yelling, cursing and trying to cover up the screen of the guy with the fancy controller. It’s just a basic concept here, though, and while it’s clear this specifically wouldn’t hold up for more than a few rounds, it’s easy to imagine where something like this might go—and how a few beers would make the whole experience a million times more absurd.

The key here is the lack of information for all the other players. For large stretches of time, we’d be playing and no one would have an idea where our target was hiding. Silence, followed by screaming. They’d make a break for it, and we’d have to yell ambush strategies to lure them out of hiding. Your character can run just a wee big faster than the target, a fair tradeoff for the amount of information at their disposal.

Being on the flipside is just plain stressful. You’d think knowing everything would put you in control of the situation, but the reality is exactly the opposite. You have too much information to process all at once, and the head start you get to hide from everyone means very little as four players begin to spread out in search of you. The fact that those players have no information means their actions are sometimes so random that you’re unable to use the information you have to any real advantage.

I don’t think Chase Mii is the next Wii Sports, but it does accomplish a similar goal of communicating what the controller’s capable of to both players and those watching.

#2 Posted by SlimFooter (3 posts) -

Wii UUUUUUU

#3 Posted by sixpin (1296 posts) -
#4 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I'm trying to think of uses for this. 

A home version of Advance Wars? Could do some interesting stuff with that. 
I'm also reminded of that GameCube Pac Man game were everyone using the TV plays as ghosts and a player using a GBA plays as Pac Man.

#5 Posted by Khann (2884 posts) -

DnD on the Wii... the DM could have all the control of everything on the Wii U tablet.

That would be some bad-ass shit.

#6 Posted by SuicidalManiac (40 posts) -

uPad?

#7 Posted by niacin (9 posts) -

wasn't there a similar pacman thing on the gamecube that used the gba, always looked fun.

#8 Posted by Kasswara (178 posts) -

"Chase Mii", "Wii U", Nintendo continues to provide unthinkable names.

#9 Posted by Ladnar (200 posts) -

Love the drinking game aspect. I've had a similar experience in a Hide and Seek mod for TF2.

#10 Posted by Serdan66 (12 posts) -

upad, lets stop the mid word capitalization, sounds right as most fighting game players call the standard controllers pads

#11 Posted by Taiyo (61 posts) -

Sounds a bit like Pac-Man Vs. They should bring that back for the Wii U as well (Anyone else think "Wii U" sounds like some weird Nintendo university?)

#12 Posted by ShawnS (165 posts) -
@niacin: yeah, Pac-Man Vs. I'm sure Namco is a little pissed that Nintendo beat them to the punch, even with this being a tech demo. It's the same concept only a little more impressive than plugging in all your GBAs.
#13 Edited by pizzafreak360 (33 posts) -
@Khann said:

DnD on the Wii... the DM could have all the control of everything on the Wii U tablet.

Someone make this.
#14 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

@pizzafreak360 said:

@Khann said:

Someone make this.

I just came.

#15 Posted by iAmJohn (6123 posts) -

So basically it's Pac Man Vs.

#16 Posted by oraknabo (1494 posts) -

Let's start calling it the uPad!

#17 Posted by kerikxi (542 posts) -

So is it like, a Mario Party minigame? Is the TV involved at all? You talked about the mechanic constantly, but what's the actual game look/play like? 

I know it's just a tech demo, but it's hard to put in context what you're actually doing. I just envision hide and seek on the E3 floor, like that Wii game where you hid the remotes.

#18 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Romination said:

@pizzafreak360 said:

@Khann said:

Someone make this.

I just came.

ALL of the above o.o

#19 Posted by RareMonkey (108 posts) -
@kerikxi: the 4 wii motes use the tv and the person with the info gets to use the built in screen, or the tv if they would like.
#20 Posted by Nadafinga (959 posts) -

It's a U-mote.

#21 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
So basically it's Pac Man Vs.
Thats exactly what I thought. Why don't they make a new one of those? Miyamoto designed the original game anyways.
#22 Posted by KensterFox (246 posts) -

I hereby dub the New WiiU controller... the WiiMU. (For those who don't get the reference: VMU Support.)

#23 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2383 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Romination said:

@pizzafreak360 said:

@Khann said:

Someone make this.

I just came.

ALL of the above o.o

This is now imperative.

#24 Posted by Darth_Furder (31 posts) -

Wii U-serface???

#25 Posted by Bribo (605 posts) -
Another vote for Upad.

@Darth_Furder said:
Wii U-serface???
Shame on you!
#26 Posted by l3reak (133 posts) -

Spy Party: console edition :D

#27 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

So are people running around in the physical world? I'm confused... again!

#28 Posted by Absolute_Zero (242 posts) -
@l3reak
Spy Party: console edition :D
The Wii U would have to be at least THREE Wiis (minimum) duct tapped together before Chris Hecker would Approve of that.
#29 Posted by powerpc127 (99 posts) -
@kerikxi: The big TV is split up into four quadrants, each belonging to a different player on a wiimote. It's a 3rd person, kind of Mario Galaxy style camera (I think, from what I saw of the video). The four wiimote players run around a maze that the WiiU player has a bird's eye view of and look for the WiiU player.

Don't quote me on any of this though, because I'm just going on what I saw during the sizzle reel at the press conference.
#30 Edited by oldjack327 (134 posts) -

So... it sounds like a sequel to Pac-Man VS for the Gamecube GBA linkup. 

Um... Cool. Pac-man VS is probably one of the best Gamecube games, and the new hardware is a cool way to revisit an idea that was dead in the water two generations ago. 

EDIT: And like fifteen other people have already said this...

#31 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I took a nap after the Nintendo conference was over and had a dream where the controller was called the WiiU Stream. I woke in a cold sweat.

#32 Posted by JakeLogan (222 posts) -

Perhaps the Tab-Wii-T? 

Also in running are the Wii-Pad, the Wii-Wii-Pad and the Wii-blet.
#33 Posted by SuperJoe (885 posts) -

Rejected names: "Max Wii Pad", "Screentroller", "Hand Eye Coordiinator"

#34 Posted by MeatSim (10892 posts) -

I wonder if this will ever be incorporated into a actual game.

#35 Posted by Darth_Furder (31 posts) -

@Bribo said:

Another vote for Upad.

@Darth_Furder said:
Wii U-serface???
Shame on you!

;P

#36 Posted by vioxtreme (18 posts) -

This looks pretty entertaining to me

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.