Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Could Nintendo patch in the ability to upscale Wii games?

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Seems silly to me that the Wii U is clearly capable of 720p/1080p output, and yet Nintendo isn't allowing older Wii games to be upscaled. Having seen games like Mario Galaxy running at 1080p through Dolphin on the PC, it makes it doubly depressing that they wouldn't go that extra mile to allow for it. Is this solely just a move on N's part to resell the same games from the Wii as an HD version? If so, that's just super insulting to their customer base IMO.

Is this something they could patch in later if there was enough pressure from gamers?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I'm not going to pretend to know if they could. I'm just going to say, they won't.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By NoobSauceG7

How about the ability to use the damn gamepad on Wii games...

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BlackLagoon

Only Nintendo's engineers would know for sure, though given that the console shuts down the Wii U OS and reboots into a separate Wii mode when running Wii games, I wouldn't count on it being possible.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dezztroy

Considering fan-made emulators (Dolphin) do it without problems, of course they could. They won't, of course. But they could.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#6  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

The Wii U already DOES upscale Wii games. If you're actually talking about them natively rendering Wii games in HD though I doubt that'll ever happen.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By HairyMike87

I think if they were able to get the Wii stuff out of it's own mode and put into the Wii U software to take advantage of the Wii U stuff, then maybe. Probably not though.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ExplodeMode

It seems like something that would have to be done through the Wii U OS and not the emulated Wii OS. Doesn't it play games through the original Wii OS? I don't know, but I'll guess no.

Bozar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bozar

But how are they supposed to release their Wii HD collections if they did that?

Spuirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spuirrel

It would need to be by emulation, which, if anyone, the makers of the hardware could do well. The unfortunate part is that even with a well made emulator, you require more power then a console will provide for a long time and a lot of work to make particular games play like the originals, not to mention games that have elements that can't be emulated.

mattschwabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mattschwabby

God it would rule if they did this. I don't see Nintendo ever doing something like this though.

danmcn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By danmcn12

@Taku128 said:

The Wii U already DOES upscale Wii games. If you're actually talking about them natively rendering Wii games in HD though I doubt that'll ever happen.

Wouldn't that be impossible if the game wasn't made to be HD? The most they could do is upscale the way the PS3 upscales PS2 games, which isn't that noticeable. .

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

People seem to be assuming Nintendo can patch anything that is wrong with the system.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm going to assume the Wii U wouldn't be capable of that. To get smooth 1080p upscaled Wii games working well I had to overclock my processor to 4.5 GHz, and still was being strained. If the Wii U just emulates the Wii I imagine this would be very difficult if not impossible to do.

@danmcn12 said:

@Taku128 said:

Wouldn't that be impossible if the game wasn't made to be HD? The most they could do is upscale the way the PS3 upscales PS2 games, which isn't that noticeable. .

No it's possible, and they look like games from an HD collection or something. It's just quite hardware intensive. But I've tried with both PS2 and Wii games and they look pretty cool. But a console rendering the last generation in native HD when it can barely do 1080p this one around is just not gonna happen.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JasonR86

I don't think so. I think they would have to put something in the hardware that would allow for the upconversion. With the inevitable hardware revision in a year they could put that feature in the new hardware but, because they will likely rerelease new versions of Wii games, I don't see why they would.

Adaurin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Adaurin

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Seems silly to me that the Wii U is clearly capable of 720p/1080p output, and yet Nintendo isn't allowing older Wii games to be upscaled. Having seen games like Mario Galaxy running at 1080p through Dolphin on the PC, it makes it doubly depressing that they wouldn't go that extra mile to allow for it. Is this solely just a move on N's part to resell the same games from the Wii as an HD version? If so, that's just super insulting to their customer base IMO.

Is this something they could patch in later if there was enough pressure from gamers?

They could charge you to buy upscaled Wii U versions of Gamecube and Wii games instead. I wonder what they'll do?

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll just see HD versions of Wii games rather than a patch to allow the WiiU to upscale existing Wii games. I'm just hoping this treatment is extended to weirder shit like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, No More Heroes, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.