Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Desired/Potential Name Change?

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By MormonWarrior

I made some kind of a knee-jerk ultimatum a while ago that if Nintendo had the name "Wii" involved with their new console, I'd never buy it since I was burned so bad by the freaking Wii. Then they announced it would be called Wii U.

Barf.

But now that I've seen the company's plans for it, and news has been kicking around about a full-fledged Mario game to be available at launch (I do happen to place Super Mario Galaxy in really high regard) and there's a possibility that Nintendo will hand off Zelda to some other company to toy with (please, Retro Studios!), I might just get myself a Wii U launch day, if possible.

But still, that name...THAT NAME! It's so awful I can't even stand it. Think there's any chance they're planning to change the name? Companies kick around temporary names all the time and then settle for something different later (Nintendo is no stranger to that either). Does anybody think they should not change it for some reason? I think its name stands the potential of confusing the market into thinking it's just an enhanced Wii, not an entirely new set of hardware that's way more powerful.

Man, Wii U? Is that short for Wii University? Will there be a line of educational applications and products meant to enhance higher education?

No Caption Provided
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BonOrbitz

I saw a rumor on NeoGaf last week that Nintendo is changing the name to the Wii Entertainment System. Sure, it's only a rumor but I like the sound of it more than Wii U.

Still, not getting a console because of it's name is a dumb reason to pass it by if it has the software to back it up (like the first Wii).

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By DoctorWelch

Yeah names suck, that's just how it is. The worst part isn't the name, its the fact that there are "professionals" that get paid to make up names like this. I wouldn't give a fuck about names except for the fact that I feel like any jerk on the street could pull a name out of his ass better than Wii U...or even Wii for that matter.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By skadave

I'll create a name for it in the spirit of modern company names (Verizon, Xfinity). . .

Flow + Vision = Flosion

The Nintendo Flosion

There you go . . . that will cost you $5,000,000.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MormonWarrior

@bonorbitz said:

Still, not getting a console because of it's name is a dumb reason to pass it by if it has the software to back it up (like the first Wii).

Unless it signifies that their plan is total bullcrap like the Wii. That was my idea...that if they kept the name, they'd head down the same path. I really like only two games on the Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. I've played a ton of Wii games as well, so...yeah.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@bonorbitz: The whole reason Nintendo is changing the name is to drop the wii brand because of confusion, so why would they call it the Wii entertainment system, that sounds like it would confuse casual buyers more than Wii U.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MormonWarrior

@skadave said:

I'll create a name for it in the spirit of modern company names (Verizon, Xfinity). . .

Flow + Vision = Flosion

The Nintendo Flosion

And...we have a winner. That's amazingly dumb...or dumbly amazing. I'm not sure which.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777

The Woo.

Directed by John Woo.

Starring Jada Pinkett Smith.

Music by Little Richard.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GuyIncognito

NES HD

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Jack268

@bonorbitz said:

I saw a rumor on NeoGaf last week that Nintendo is changing the name to the Wii Entertainment System. Sure, it's only a rumor but I like the sound of it more than Wii U.

That was confirmed as a photoshop

On the actual thread:I like the idea of the name Wii U, because like the Reggienator said at E3, it's focusing on individual players ("you"), but at the same time, there will probably some retarded shit like people mistaking it for being a peripheral for the Wii.Did we really have this problem with NES, SNES and GB, GBC and GBA?

I don't really care if they change the name, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the WiiU.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By skadave

@MormonWarrior said:

@skadave said:

Flow + Vision = Flosion

The Nintendo Flosion

And...we have a winner. That's amazingly dumb...or dumbly amazing. I'm not sure which.

If that is too much you could just shorten it to the Nintendo Flo.

That will cost you another $2,000,000 on top of the 5 mil.

(Side Note: By calling it the flo you would get a million bad jokes about putting a Wii next to a Flo).

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DeF

@bonorbitz said:

it wasn't even a rumor! it was an experiment by one of the users who was trying to see how fast a stupid rumor could spread. he admitted to it shortly after things went viral.

he mirrored a Nintendo website and switched some words around, made a screenshot and boom, there it was.

you know what though? I want a crazy name. I want them to just call it The Machine - that name is taken already by that drum computer (spelled with an extra s) but still ... kinda cool :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

The Wii Promise To Have Decent Third Party Support, Look Into This HD Fad, Maybe Use That Internet Thing To Its Full Potential,  And Try To Keep Are Non Casual Fan Base Happy By Releasing More Then Two Awesome First Party Games A Year This Time  

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dingofighter

I want it to be called The Nintendo. 
    Or just Nintendo.
    Then just add another Nintendo for each new console.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Jack268: @DeF: I figured it was bullshit because it didn't really make the major game news outlets. However, I do believe the release date and price point rumors we've heard recently.

There's no way in hell Nintendo would drop the Wii branding and I'm cool with that and I don't think the WiiU is a bad name. It's just my nostalgia wants them to name it the Wii Entertainment System.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By jacksukeru

We, You, Me, Them...

Wiumedem?

The Wiintendo?

The Ω Wii?

WiiToo?

Bah, a fun as it is to come up with silly names I've long stopped caring about the name, I guess you could even say that I'm fine with it.

The console itself is what I'm worried about.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Azteck

I said it then, and I'll say it now. Wii U is an awful, awful name and it always has been.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By DeF

@bonorbitz said:

@Jack268: @DeF: I figured it was bullshit because it didn't really make the major game news outlets. However, I do believe the release date and price point rumors we've heard recently.

There's no way in hell Nintendo would drop the Wii branding and I'm cool with that and I don't think the WiiU is a bad name. It's just my nostalgia wants them to name it the Wii Entertainment System.

if nothing else, the name Wii U gave us some good laughs ...

loved that one random line on rockpapershotgun last week when a game was announced for all other systems and he ended the sentence with "but it won't be coming to Weeeooooo" ... I imagined that read out loud with a British accent and dry delivery. hilarious and unexpected :D

and yea, the release date (Nov 18 was the rumor, right?) seems likely since basically there are only so many possible dates that make sense and have historical precedence. also it has to be priced around the $300 mark or otherwise everyone will lose their shit in a bad way (brace yourself for months of "Nintendo is doomed" again... *sigh* - well actually, that's gonna happen anyway lol)

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MormonWarrior
    @MaFoLu said:
    I want it to be called The Nintendo. Or just Nintendo.

This is exactly what they should do. I would buy two. Picture that: "THE NINTENDO" in big bold letters. That's what everyone used to call EVERY video game console regardless of what it actually was. That could signify a return to total dominance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.