Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Do you think the Wii U too expensive in your region?

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By theodacourt

So Wii U prices have been set and dates released. Here's a phat table.

Wii U ModelUSAJapanEuropeUK
    Basic£185 ($300)£210 ($340)£241 ($390)£250 ($405)
    Premium£216 ($350)£252 ($408)£282 ($457)£300 ($487)

So are you happy with the price point in your region? I was pretty pleased when the US prices were released. £185/£216 seemed like a great price and I was thinking of getting one despite not really being interested to start with but £250/£300 is way too much. I suppose I should have expected European prices to be jacked, but with the premium model approaching 150% of the US price, I can't help but feel ripped off. And to American bombers, if Reggie said you'd be pleasantly surprised by the price point and then put the premium model at $485, would you be happy with that? Especially when it seems much more that the premium model is the standard that has been cut back for the basic one, rather than a bunch of bonuses being added to the basic model to make it premium.

Thoughts?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

The US prices are reasonable considering the competition are at a similar price, but I would have liked something cheaper for my selfish self.

LazyChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LazyChan

Its reasonable for the US but the price is far too inflated everywhere else especially Europe. I think Nintendo will get solid sales in the US but if they really wanted to penetrate the market hard they should be more willing to take a loss on the console and sell it cheaper.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zyn

£250 and £300 for the Basic and Premium SKUs respectively aren't expensive for a launch console (in my opinion), but those prices exceed my purchase price point (of £200). Will purchase next year, because I NEED MOAR GAMEZ!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

The US price is reasonable for a new console, I'm just not sure the console itself is worth it for me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By Justin258

Yeah, that sounds fair to me. It's a little bit more powerful than the current gen consoles and therefore costs a little bit more. Could use a few hundred gigabytes more storage, though.

I'm not going to berate the launch lineup too much - launch games generally aren't the best of any console's library, with the exception of Halo, but I'm still wary of it because there isn't anything great coming out on it. Yes, I'm aware of the Nintendo exclusives, but when I say "great" note that I mean "interesting". "Different". "Noteworthy". "Original". "Curious". You get what I'm saying. The next remake of Ocarina of Time and the next gimmick in Super Mario 64 will probably be worth playing but they aren't going to make me buy the console.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JasonR86

The price of the WiiU isn't the problem.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Living in the USA and the price is fine.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uhtaree

Yes, I won't buy it. Bought a 3DS a couple months ago and already traded it in, that was too much at $160. Nintendo's experiences aren't for me anymore.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By dagas

538 dollars here in Sweden, but that is mostly because the USD is not worth much these days.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jack268

Current placeholder at my local retailer sits at $761, which is a bit too much.

However, it's set at 4995 SEK, when it should be 3500 SEK to follow the stupid 1 USD = 10 SEK shit.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By dagas

@Jack268 said:

Current placeholder at my local retailer sits at $761, which is a bit too much.

However, it's set at 4995 SEK, when it should be 3500 SEK to follow the stupid 1 USD = 10 SEK shit.

CDON has it for 3499SEK but yeah most of them have it listed for 5k which is like you say about 760 dollars. But it will go down closer to release I bet.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TehBuLL

If your wii u controller breaks in the US then what?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By DeF

€299 / €349 are fine.

Anything higher would've been bad though. But €349 for a brand new system plus a game and some extra peripherals (charging cradle is actually pretty nice) that's totally okay.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By Slag

price ain't the problem

where's the features and system selling games?

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I understand why the prices are what they are but it's above what I'm willing to spend on a console that's pretty much what I have now. I'll probably pick one up when the price drops though.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dungbootle

No, it's fine. I'll probably be getting it used a little later, so no problem really.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.