Forbes:How Nintendo Is Taking Over The Japanese Video Game Market

#1 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Here's an interesting article on Forbes.com relating to Wii U and how it can potentially keep up with inevitable high powered competition down the line. With a renaissance in Japanese games development predicted, a predicted fight-back of sorts, fans will naturally hope this is good news for the Wii U in years to come.

As Nintendo acquires more and more exclusive publication rights and positions itself to fully integrate social media into the console experience, could there be a sea change on the video game industry’s horizon?
The Wii U has been generating a huge amount of buzz in the video game industry lately.
Some argue that the next-gen console is underpowered, and will stumble badly when the offerings from Sony and Microsoft show up.
Others say the graphics are in their early stages and will improve.
Still others point out that games like Black Ops II will run at 60 frames per second at 1080p resolution, something the current consoles couldn’t hope to achieve.
But graphics are really secondary to what makes this latest Nintendo console so interesting.
Nor is the fancy tablet controller particularly intriguing.
For that matter, it’s not really the console itself that makes the Wii U an important step in Nintendo’s evolution.
What makes the Wii U so very, very important is its games. In particular, all the exclusive titles we’ve seen lately, from Bayonetta 2 to ZombiU to Rayman Legends.
Content Is King... (continued)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/09/18/how-nintendo-is-taking-over-the-japanese-video-game-market-one-ip-at-a-time/

#2 Posted by l4wd0g (1959 posts) -

There is a Monster Hunter bundle in Japan.

Monster Hunter is a day and date release in Japan.

#3 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

Yeah, I'm not worried about Nintendo doing poorly in Japan.

Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Samurai Warriors and Mario at Launch (okay, DQ Beta). Japan even gets a Monster Hunter Bundle. If Nin would also release a Pokemon game on launch Japan would explode. In the west though...let's see.

#4 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Haha, did you bother to even read the article?. It's not about sales of Wii U in Japan, the article is about the global market, how Nintendo is acquiring exclusive publishing rights for Japanese made games.

#5 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

They've taken over Japan for next few years. They've killed the Vita and left it in a ditch and have MonHun Bundle ready to drop on launch day. Got that shit on lock down.

#6 Posted by mabber36 (129 posts) -

Nor is the fancy tablet controller particularly intriguing.

what? this is the best part, imo. you can play console games in the bathroom now

#7 Posted by BlackLagoon (1446 posts) -

@l4wd0g said:

There is a Monster Hunter bundle in Japan.

Monster Hunter is a day and date release in Japan.

Monster Hunter has done well on Nintendo platforms, but hasn't been any where near the insane success it was on the PSP, with sales of the 3DS game being a third of the 4.7 million sales of the most recent PSP title. Also, it's looking like this is not an actual Wii U game, rather just an upscaled version of the 3DS game similar to Portable 3rd HD on the PS3.

#8 Posted by Discoman (167 posts) -

I think Forbes is over blowing this. Every console has its share of exclusives and Nintendo gets to enjoy a few because Sony and Microsoft have kept mum about their next generation. They might have some hits with sequels to Bayonetta, Banjo Kazooie, Rayman, and whatever Square-Enix releases, but it still doesn't sound all that impressive, nor does it anticipate any of those series having ports, or their own exclusive sequels to the new Microsoft and Sony consoles.

#9 Posted by EXTomar (4772 posts) -

I don't know if Nintendo is taking over much of anything given how absurdly popular some software titles are that are not Nintendo produced.

#10 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

I don't think the COD crowd will consider playing Black Ops 2 on a Wii U, even if it's the superior version. The average dude I know that's into those games doesn't know what 1080p and 60 frames per second means, nor do they care.

#11 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

I don't think the COD crowd will consider playing Black Ops 2 on a Wii U, even if it's the superior version. The average dude I know that's into those games doesn't know what 1080p and 60 frames per second means, nor do they care.

Yet people claim that is why they Nintendo is crap and only PS3 and Xbox 360 is worth playing? I see more contradiction here than by Sean Hannity. Don't get me wrong, I actually don't care. I have no desire to ever play a CoD game.

Oh, and this article seems wildly optimistic.

#12 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

I think they know what 60 frames per second means, considering it's a major bullet point for COD, as well as Madden; two of the biggest franchises in gaming.

#13 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Seems like Microsoft has the United States, Sony has Europe and Latin America, and Nintendo has Japan (seriously, it seems like all that market really wants is Monster Hunter). Three way fight with each console maker dominating a territory. And who says competition is dead?

#14 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@algertman said:

They've taken over Japan for next few years. They've killed the Vita and left it in a ditch and have MonHun Bundle ready to drop on launch day. Got that shit on lock down.

Didn't think about that aspect before, but yea, this is a definitely an issue for Sony.

#15 Edited by Petiew (1351 posts) -

Nintendo has Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest X is going to apparently receive 10+ years of support, Nintendo has already taken over Japan.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.