Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

GamePad Use Teased for Beyond Good & Evil 2

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

Michel Ancel has teased a little of his thoughts for an upcoming Wii U version of Beyond Good and Evil 2

“ I think the Wii U GamePad could be used nicely as a camera… [Laughs] No, to be honest, I’m really focused on Rayman Legends right now. I’m surprised how much of our energy it’s taking because I expected it to be an easier game to make. But because of the Wii U GamePad, we’re really focusing on this one. I can’t talk about what the next game will before us because it’s not set in stone yet, so I guess I don’t have a better answer for you. Sorry! [Laughs]“ - Michel Ancel
    “What surprises me with Wii U is that we don’t have many technical problems. It’s really running very well, in fact. We’re not obliged to constantly optimize things. Even on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions [of Origins], we had some fill-rate issues and things like that. So it’s partly us – we improved the engine – but I think the console is quite powerful. Surprisingly powerful. And there’ a lot of memory. You can really have huge textures, and it’s crazy because sometimes the graphic artist – we built our textures in very high-dentition. They could be used in a movie. Then we compress them, but sometimes they forget to do the compression and it still works! [Laughs] So yeah, it’s quite powerful. It’s hard sometimes when you’re one of the first developers because it’s up to you to come up with solutions to certain problems. But the core elements of the console are surprisingly powerful.
    “And because we’re developing for Wii U, we don’t have to worry about cross-platform optimization. We can push what the console can do; push it to its limits. And of course, we have a new lighting engine. In fact, the game engine for Origins was mostly just classic sprites in HD, but now we can light them and add shadows and all these things. So there is some technical innovation with the engine itself." - Michel Ancel
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

...is it the camera reference...? Because I can't really read any teasing of BGE2 from that quote, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. :P

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Speaking of cameras and BG&E, that game had some of the worst/most unwieldy camera control I've seen in any game. Honestly, I'm genuinely baffled as to why people hold that game in such high regard...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Cincaid: BG&E was all about Jade running around doing her investigative journalism thing and taking pictures. It wasn't just a central gameplay mechanic, it was one of the defining features of BG&E that set it apart from everything else on the market.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cincaid

@StarvingGamer: Ah lol, I'm an idiot. I read it as a reference to how the actual camera in the game works (which BG&E was notorious for), not the actual object you use to take pictures with. :P

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@BeachThunder said:

Speaking of cameras and BG&E, that game had some of the worst/most unwieldy camera control I've seen in any game. Honestly, I'm genuinely baffled as to why people hold that game in such high regard...

A genuine sense of adventure, would be high on my list, very few games during that period offered that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.