Geoff Keighley vs Reggie in a hard hitting interview.

  • 57 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
 http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/e3-live.html
 
Skip back the live cover to 2:28:05 just before the interview. It's really good and Geoff doesn't just kiss ass and say how cool it all looks. He asks real questions. This is real journalism and a great interview. Well done, Geoff.
 
No up-scaled Wii games. Fuck. :(
#2 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

Yeah, I was just talking about this in another thread. Mad props to Geoff for essentially playing "Hardball" with Reggie. It's rare to see a guy in the mainstream gaming press stick up for the hardcore gamer and ask the questions that actually matter. Even if those questions are going to piss off your guest.

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (5574 posts) -

I don't consider him asking questions that he knows Reggie can't and isn't allowed to answer 'real journalism'. Pressing him is fine, but asking questions and not getting answers doesn't make it more legitimate.

#4 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

at least he got confirmation that it's 1080p and the disc format will be comparable to blu-ray and that they will have some sort of Network infrastructure that will work better than what Nintendo has right now.

Online
#5 Edited by MattyFTM (14385 posts) -

Is it bad that when I saw Hulk Hogan was on before him I went backwards to watch that interview first? I don't even like wrestling, but something crazy has got to happen in that interview, right?

Moderator
#6 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:

I don't consider him asking questions that he knows Reggie can't and isn't allowed to answer 'real journalism'. Pressing him is fine, but asking questions and not getting answers doesn't make it more legitimate.

  
Asking do they acknowledge the Wii failed with hardcore gamers, pointing out xbox 360 an PS3 has better online and asking him about it, pressing for more information after the lackluster conference, pointing out the "online box" hasn't been ticked yet. He's not just saying yes and "that's great" to all his statements. He's challenging them at every turn.
#7 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

Geoff always comes off as a dick head to me, just saying.

#8 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

Is it bad that when I saw Hulk Hogan was on before him I went backwards to watch that interview first?

I assume that this is just a natural human reaction.
#9 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -

Really good interview

#10 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -

Really good interview by Geoff.

Great job, Jere-

#11 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

Glad to hear the phrase "1080p" come straight from Reggie's mouth.

#12 Posted by spankingaddict (2674 posts) -

Yeah, it was good stuff. Entertaining.

#13 Posted by rjayb89 (7722 posts) -

Good interview. Keighley just wanted Fils-Aime to elaborate more on things, which was great.

#14 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

OMG a game journalist
 
....that.....
 
you know......
 
 
asks stuff relevant to its viewers interest??????????
 
 
oh wait i can't ironically post that because game journalists are fucking pussies

#15 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Keighly isn't afraid to ask any of the people in the gaming world the questions that others are too timid to ask.  Listen to how he interviews developers on G4TV.  He doesn't take their bullshit PR answers at face value.  He always tries to push them for more information.  I almost think it's a shame that Keighly's journalistic prowess is wasted on video games...but I'm glad we have him on our side.

#16 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:

Is it bad that when I saw Hulk Hogan was on before him I went backwards to watch that interview first? I don't even like wrestling, but something crazy has got to happen in that interview, right?

If it's bad then I don't want to be good.
#17 Posted by PenguinDust (12522 posts) -

Jeff is on the couch with Geoff right now on Gametrailers TV

#18 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

So many absolutelys in that interview from Reggie.

#19 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

he nailed it on the question "who made that demo?" i think reggie almost passed a kidney stone

#20 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@buft said:
he nailed it on the question "who made that demo?" i think reggie almost passed a kidney stone
I loved that bit. You could see Reggie feel the punch of the question. Haha
#21 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

geoff playing hardball? ill believe it when i see it (which i will after this live bonus round)

#22 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

I love how it always sounds like Reggie is reading a script whenever he's talking (which he is, obviously. But the fact that it's so obvious...)

#23 Posted by Aegon (5643 posts) -

  

#24 Posted by AkewsticRockR (3 posts) -

Frankly, the people supporting Geoff in this embarrass me. I cannot believe how many of you can't see through Geoff's bullshit "journalism" tactics.
 
What you call "hard hitting", I simply call disrespect and a lack of common human decency toward the interviewee.  Geoff is a complete ass in this video series.   He does this every time he doesn't like the person he's interviewing, what they have to say, or who they're associated with.
 
All he does is bludgeon Reggie n to death with questions he simply CAN'T answer, and on top of that fact, he constantly interrupts him and talks over him.  The fact that Reggie didn't get up and leave or just punch Geoff in the face is something I'd commend him for.  The fact that you guys consider this anything other than real-life trolling by an "esteemed" journalist makes me weep for the future of this already laughable industry.  Watch the video.  All he does is cut Reggie off while he's attempting to respond to stuff, throw in unnecessary side comments and just disrespect the dude in an attempt to make him look bad.
 
It's clear from the outset that Reggie simply does not HAVE the information Geoff wants, and yet he continually gets pressed for it.  The console is CLEARLY still in development, so we have no idea about price point, system specs or ANY of that stuff yet.

#25 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -
@AkewsticRockR said:
Frankly, the people supporting Geoff in this embarrass me. I cannot believe how many of you can't see through Geoff's bullshit "journalism" tactics.  What you call "hard hitting", I simply call disrespect and a lack of common human decency toward the interviewee.  Geoff is a complete ass in this video series.   He does this every time he doesn't like the person he's interviewing, what they have to say, or who they're associated with.  All he does is bludgeon Reggie n to death with questions he simply CAN'T answer, and on top of that fact, he constantly interrupts him and talks over him.  The fact that Reggie didn't get up and leave or just punch Geoff in the face is something I'd commend him for.  The fact that you guys consider this anything other than real-life trolling by an "esteemed" journalist makes me weep for the future of this already laughable industry.  Watch the video.  All he does is cut Reggie off while he's attempting to respond to stuff, throw in unnecessary side comments and just disrespect the dude in an attempt to make him look bad. It's clear from the outset that Reggie simply does not HAVE the information Geoff wants, and yet he continually gets pressed for it.  The console is CLEARLY still in development, so we have no idea about price point, system specs or ANY of that stuff yet.
Whoa, you guys, Reggie registered on Giantbomb!
#26 Posted by AkewsticRockR (3 posts) -
@CrossTheAtlantic said:
@AkewsticRockR said:
Frankly, the people supporting Geoff in this embarrass me. I cannot believe how many of you can't see through Geoff's bullshit "journalism" tactics.  What you call "hard hitting", I simply call disrespect and a lack of common human decency toward the interviewee.  Geoff is a complete ass in this video series.   He does this every time he doesn't like the person he's interviewing, what they have to say, or who they're associated with.  All he does is bludgeon Reggie n to death with questions he simply CAN'T answer, and on top of that fact, he constantly interrupts him and talks over him.  The fact that Reggie didn't get up and leave or just punch Geoff in the face is something I'd commend him for.  The fact that you guys consider this anything other than real-life trolling by an "esteemed" journalist makes me weep for the future of this already laughable industry.  Watch the video.  All he does is cut Reggie off while he's attempting to respond to stuff, throw in unnecessary side comments and just disrespect the dude in an attempt to make him look bad. It's clear from the outset that Reggie simply does not HAVE the information Geoff wants, and yet he continually gets pressed for it.  The console is CLEARLY still in development, so we have no idea about price point, system specs or ANY of that stuff yet.
Whoa, you guys, Reggie registered on Giantbomb!
Wow.  That was clever.  What did it take about four seconds to think of that response?
#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -
@CrossTheAtlantic said: 
Whoa, you guys, Reggie registered on Giantbomb!
Idiotic and thoughtless response. Good job.
#28 Edited by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@AkewsticRockR said:

Frankly, the people supporting Geoff in this embarrass me. I cannot believe how many of you can't see through Geoff's bullshit "journalism" tactics.  What you call "hard hitting", I simply call disrespect and a lack of common human decency toward the interviewee.  Geoff is a complete ass in this video series.   He does this every time he doesn't like the person he's interviewing, what they have to say, or who they're associated with.  All he does is bludgeon Reggie n to death with questions he simply CAN'T answer, and on top of that fact, he constantly interrupts him and talks over him.  The fact that Reggie didn't get up and leave or just punch Geoff in the face is something I'd commend him for.  The fact that you guys consider this anything other than real-life trolling by an "esteemed" journalist makes me weep for the future of this already laughable industry.  Watch the video.  All he does is cut Reggie off while he's attempting to respond to stuff, throw in unnecessary side comments and just disrespect the dude in an attempt to make him look bad. It's clear from the outset that Reggie simply does not HAVE the information Geoff wants, and yet he continually gets pressed for it.  The console is CLEARLY still in development, so we have no idea about price point, system specs or ANY of that stuff yet.

A proper interview is like a battle between the interviewer and the person being interviewed. It can get heated, they interrupt, they try and wriggle them into giving more info than they should or to answer hard questions. It's not rude and that's why Reggie didn't leave.  Weak ass interviewers are shit interviewers.
 
"What can you tell me about the Wii U?"
"It's got great graphics and great games and will have great online!"
"Wow!! Sounds great! Thanks so much for being here with us today."
 
Yeah, no.
#29 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

@AkewsticRockR: I agree with you that Geoff came off as an asshole due to the way he phrased his questions, but Reggie didn't do any better. Reggie is never honest in these interviews and always has to speak with a heavy filter of political PR bullshit on top and deny that Nintendo has any sort of weaknesses or shortcomings.

#30 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

What's with the gotcha journalism, Geoff? Save that stuff for Sarah Palin.

#31 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -
@AkewsticRockR@FluxWaveZ:  
Yeah that was douchey. I've been having an awful day and acted like an ass. I apologize.
#32 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

Is it bad that when I saw Hulk Hogan was on before him I went backwards to watch that interview first? I don't even like wrestling, but something crazy has got to happen in that interview, right?

This exact thing happened to me.

#33 Posted by Gabriel (4062 posts) -

Thats how Geoff rolls, people need to Shut the fuck up about how embarresed they were for Reggie. He dosen't have to take the intreview but he does.

#34 Posted by AkewsticRockR (3 posts) -
@Zithe said:

@AkewsticRockR: I agree with you that Geoff came off as an asshole due to the way he phrased his questions, but Reggie didn't do any better. Reggie is never honest in these interviews and always has to speak with a heavy filter of political PR bullshit on top and deny that Nintendo has any sort of weaknesses or shortcomings.

Definitely true, as well.  Reggie is a PR-spewing machine, no doubt.  But he's a company president.  There's a level of respect that should be afforded the man solely because of that fact.    Geoff becomes the same exact PR-spewing douche when it comes to promoting god-awful stuff like the VGAs. 
 
I don't at all think that interviews have to be hostile and hard-hitting to be good.   That's simply flat-out not true.  What matters is the communication of NEW, interesting information to the audience.  You notice Geoff badgered the hell out of Reggie, and in the end, he didn't really get ANYTHING new out of the man other than the words "1080p".  Who knows what Reggie might have answered if Geoff hadn't consistently cut him off.  It's great that we got that information, but I absolutely think Reggie would have said that without being treated like dirt.  Geoff' seems to be to a point in his career where he can treat people however he likes though, and that's just sad to me.   
 
Regardless, I felt like this interview was both disrespectful and hostile, despite that annoying painted-on smile Geoff likes to display. 
#35 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

So hard hitting. Geoff really exposed Reggie for the shill that he is. It's almost like he's working for Nintendo or something. Wait.
 
Never really understood why people demand "real" journalism out of games media. It's not like this is politics where people who actually matter might have hidden agendas. These are companies trying to sell you video games. You aren't going to get any new information by being an ass to a corporate president, they have scheduled all that out and aren't going to break just because you're a jerk. If you can get someone to leak you information that could be neat, but that person won't be doing it live, in front of cameras. Shit like this is more akin to paparazzi antics then anything respectable.

#36 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I've never liked Reggie, and this interview didn't make me like him any more. He just seems so high and mighty to me, I don't like it. Not to mention that he's always drowning in layers and layers of PR bullshit when he talks.

#37 Posted by LOZZAT (252 posts) -

Geoff is a great interviewer when it comes to pressing for things which us gamers want to know about. A sentiment shared by most people on here I see.

#38 Posted by Gumby (229 posts) -

Is it just me, or does Reggie sounds like he would have been awesome TV-shop salesman?
 Just the way he says "Absolutely!!" bothers me...

#39 Posted by patrick (563 posts) -

Coming off watching the Battlefield 3 stream, it's refreshing to see interviews in this industry not revolving around asking about known quantities and things that will circle around back to how awesome they are.

#40 Posted by Sanj (2391 posts) -

I thought it was an interesting interview. That's it.

#41 Edited by Aegon (5643 posts) -

Geoff is a great interviewer. Sometimes he pushes a little too hard, but overall his interviews are entertaining and he tries to get as much info as possible. 

#42 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

Was it ever announced if it has a Blu-Ray player/hard drive component at all?

#43 Posted by JFetch (119 posts) -

"What's special isn't what's in the box. The box just has the CPU and the GPU. What's special is the controller."
 
This is why Nintendo doesn't get hardcore gamers.

#44 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@JFetch said:
"What's special isn't what's in the box. The box just has the CPU and the GPU. What's special is the controller."  This is why Nintendo doesn't get hardcore gamers.
That's what I was thinking as well. That line, along with the "I don't like the term tech-demos. We sell experiences" makes me not like the guy at all.
#45 Posted by Milkman (16802 posts) -

Geoff Keighley is a real journalist. People assume that just because he's on TV, he's some sort of marketing shill. There is a real lack of people in the gaming journalism business that are willing the ask the tough questions. Giant Bomb is even guilty of this sometimes. Though I thought last night's podcast with the Microsoft guys was also very refreshing.

#46 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Reggie is really weird. 

#47 Posted by dragonzord (815 posts) -

it was the exact opposite of last night's Blowcast

#48 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

@Anwar said:

@Barrock: Reggie said in that interview that Wii U doesn't support blu-ray.

Well... crap. Crap crap crap!

#49 Posted by yogetoutdaway (126 posts) -

Keighley's a killer. He doesn't give a fuck. Unstoppable Force vs. Immovable Object type of interview.

#50 Posted by Raineko (433 posts) -

I think Geoff Keighley is a douche.
He is asked those kind of question that haters were posting in the gametrailers comments all the time, didn't really sound professional at all to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.