Glad I got the Wii U But Not Surprised that...

#1 Posted by Irishdoom (332 posts) -

Nintendo crapped the bed with online services. I can't register a Nintendo ID or do any of the things I want to do, including download patches for the games, transfer stuff from my Wii, etc. They should have been ready for the Christmas rush of new Wii U and 3DS systems in the wild, but were not.

Boo.

On another note, Skylanders is pretty cool, yo.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (22720 posts) -

@irishdoom: Hey, Sony shit the bed today, too. Expecting any online service to work properly during a high-capacity rush is wishful thinking, though you're right in that it should work better.

#3 Edited by Spoonman671 (4375 posts) -

Steam just shut me out, too. This is the all-digital future, guys.

#4 Posted by BongChilla (188 posts) -

Yeah. Steam has been down all day it seems. It's not just Nintendo, although nobody makes a thread about Steam being down.

#5 Edited by Irishdoom (332 posts) -

I didn't realize it went beyond Nintendo. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

I'm still happy with the system and excited to get it all set up. :)

#6 Posted by ripelivejam (2805 posts) -

tbh i'm kinda surprised ninty offers digital downloads. they did seem like the first to have day 1 downloads though.

#7 Posted by avenlaya (54 posts) -

Every game service has today, Steam been kinda down all day along, along with a tiny issue i had with XBL too. Been also trying to get my Zelda download for 3DS ALL DAY.

#8 Edited by Optix12 (576 posts) -

I would assume tomorrow would also be pretty bad for the (wii u) version of the Nintendo network in the EU region as zombiu goes down to £8 which is the cheapest ive seen it new from any store

#9 Edited by bigjeffrey (4166 posts) -

xbox live and origin are up. Origin > Steam

#10 Posted by wchigo (524 posts) -

Steam's been back up for more than half an hour now. I think it may have been, in part, due to the free giveaway of Left 4 Dead 2 that caused Steam to buckle, though that's only a theory.

Luckily I did all the updating when I bought my Wii U about 2 weeks ago and didn't wait until now, based upon this thread. Phew, dodged that bullet.

#11 Edited by Hunkulese (2528 posts) -

There's not really any reason for them to increase server capacity for a couple days. It costs them boatloads of money and everyone will forget about it in a couple days when everything goes back to normal.

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -

Haven't been surprised about the server issue. A lot of people downloading dat large system update

#13 Edited by cassus (319 posts) -

Zombi U for £8 is crazy. Even if you hate zombies, that's just a must-buy at that price. Really liked that game. Lots of cool ideas. Bored with zombies, but aside from that, really fun.

#14 Posted by crithon (2582 posts) -

nintendo's online design feels like AOL at it's prime.

#15 Posted by MB (11306 posts) -

@crithon said:

I was thinking Compuserve.

#16 Edited by crithon (2582 posts) -

@mb said:

@crithon said:

I was thinking Compuserve.

hehe, I know it sounds silly, but I never found console online feeling faster or more immediate then a PC. All of them are serviceable just to get STUFF, but like xbox 360 in 2008 trying to download games for my cousin's 360 which he never kept online was just a mess.

#17 Edited by STUVNING (134 posts) -

In the same boat here bought myself a Wii U with Wind Waker, but since it's a download code the thing is basically a paper weight.

#18 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

Yeah, I got my brother a 3DS with Zelda, and he wasn't able to download it all day, either. From a tech perspective, it's understandable, but it still sucks.

To the people flipping their shit online over this travesty though (not anyone on here), a little perspective would be nice. One or two days without the game for your new console is shitty, but it's a short-term problem and there are probably better things for you to be doing on Christmas day besides playing video games.

#19 Posted by Gamer_152 (13975 posts) -

@irishdoom: Yeah, that kind of sucks. Also, just for future reference, if you could give a brief summary of your thread in the thread title that would be good, the mod team doesn't really like non-descriptive titles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.