Has Sony's issues possibly killed any Nintendo network service?

#1 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -

Nintendo, not the most welcoming company when it comes to the internet to begin with, is likely having a discussion right now about how to do multi-player on their new console after Sony showed that even at this late of a date they are not ready for prime time.  Does this kill any sort of on-line service?  Friends codes forever?  Sure this all speculation but having such a blow up by Sony is going to give ammunition to those inside Nintendo who distrust on-line.

#2 Posted by onimonkii (2443 posts) -

no

#3 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

More friend codes please!

#4 Posted by Thoseposers (785 posts) -

wow now people are really blowing this out of proportion

#5 Posted by Malphye (413 posts) -

I believe every company thinks they are smarter then their competition. So no.

#6 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -
@Delphye: Thing is I think people in Nintendo think its smarter not to offer such a service.
#7 Edited by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

I don't think so.  It could, but really there is no other way to get into the game with the big two without losing the friend code stuff and getting online transactions. 

#8 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2908 posts) -

Why the hell would it? If anything, they've probably noticed that a big part of the reason they're not capturing the 'hardcore' demographic is because of their poor online and plan on improving it. Fingers crossed.

#9 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Well Nintendo wasn't likely to have such a service anyway, but even if they did I don't think Sony's recent outage has had any effect. Other networks like Steam and XBL have been running fine for years. 

#10 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

I think the clear answer is not just friend codes, but a new enemy code system, where by you would only be allowed to play against someone once you both enter each other's enemy codes.

#11 Posted by Malphye (413 posts) -
@endaround: @SuperfluousMoniker said:
" Why the hell would it? If anything, they've probably noticed that a big part of the reason they're not capturing the 'hardcore' demographic is because of their poor online and plan on improving it. Fingers crossed. "
I believe this also.
#12 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Geno said:
" Well Nintendo wasn't likely to have such a service anyway, but even if they did I don't think Sony's recent outage has had any effect. "
This also sums up my opinion. Maybe we will have a better idea what their plans are once the 3DS eShop launches.
#13 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

Hackers are gonna steal my friend codes!

#14 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Yes, let's just completely abandon the internet as a whole, just because Sony failed to protect their users.

#15 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -

No.    

#16 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

If anything, it'll push them to have decent security measures in place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.