Here Are All the Games You Could Feasibly Buy on Wii U Launch Day

• 123 results
Posted by Alex (2302 posts) -

No sense in dicking around. Nintendo just announced the full list of games that will release alongside the company's new Wii U console this November 18, as well as a list of games that will come after, during that crater-sized "launch window." First, the list of launch day games.

November 18

Now, here are all the games currently slated for "November," without a specific date.

November ??

And finally, here are all the games with unnamed dates that are planned to ship sometime between December 1, and March whenever.

Launch Window

So, let's talk about all this for a minute. Looking at launch day, there are definitely some big games there, including NSMBU, Black Ops II, AC III, and oh hell let's be nice and put ZombiU on there too. I do still question how many people are going to go out of their way to get these big multiplatform games specifically on the Wii U, but having them there day one certainly won't hurt.

More of a bummer for me personally is the lack of Rayman, Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101 at launch. None of those exactly seemed like they were destined for November 18, but I'd had hope that at least one of them would make it. Hell, I don't even get Funky Barn as a consolation prize. Oh well.

Also, what in tarnation is a Family Party: 30 Great Games: Obstacle Arcade and how do we prevent that from actually happening?

#1 Posted by Alex (2302 posts) -

No sense in dicking around. Nintendo just announced the full list of games that will release alongside the company's new Wii U console this November 18, as well as a list of games that will come after, during that crater-sized "launch window." First, the list of launch day games.

November 18

Now, here are all the games currently slated for "November," without a specific date.

November ??

And finally, here are all the games with unnamed dates that are planned to ship sometime between December 1, and March whenever.

Launch Window

So, let's talk about all this for a minute. Looking at launch day, there are definitely some big games there, including NSMBU, Black Ops II, AC III, and oh hell let's be nice and put ZombiU on there too. I do still question how many people are going to go out of their way to get these big multiplatform games specifically on the Wii U, but having them there day one certainly won't hurt.

More of a bummer for me personally is the lack of Rayman, Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101 at launch. None of those exactly seemed like they were destined for November 18, but I'd had hope that at least one of them would make it. Hell, I don't even get Funky Barn as a consolation prize. Oh well.

Also, what in tarnation is a Family Party: 30 Great Games: Obstacle Arcade and how do we prevent that from actually happening?

#2 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

I want one, but I don't want one.

#3 Edited by flyingidiot (8 posts) -

Pikmin 3 is the only one I care about

#4 Posted by Soap (3614 posts) -

I'm probably alone in this, but my lack of interest in ANYTHING Wii U is kind of crazy.

#5 Posted by Turambar (6814 posts) -

Jeopardy? Really?

#6 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

@Soap: You're not. I have a feeling this console won't do very well and it probably won't.

#7 Posted by Driam (163 posts) -

Fuck yeah, codblops 2!

#8 Posted by SomeJerk (3320 posts) -

Backwards compatibility with Wii titles is what I care about I guess :(

#9 Posted by AndrewB (7670 posts) -

I guess my Wii U stance is set, for the time being, as I care not for a single one of those games outside of Nintendo Land and Rayman Legends. Maaaaaybe Zombie U, but that's a stretch. However, if the 3DS is any indication, I could be persuaded otherwise. I bought the 3DS for Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and ended up picking up a couple of Nintendo exclusives in the process, so anything is possible. It's not like I'm one of those crazy people that wants Nintendo to fail.

#10 Posted by wafflez (529 posts) -

FUNKY STUDENT!! Barn :(

#11 Posted by CakeBomb (221 posts) -

Lego City Undercover surely. 

I've given up on Mario and Zelda, so I hope Nintendo flourishes with these new franchises/licensed games. 

Also, can't wait for Aliens Colonial Marines.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Turambar

Jeopardy? Really?

It's already on every other platform out there. What's one more? :P
#13 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

I'm not going to go on a never ending quest to find one this holiday season but if I happen upon one I'll purchase it for my son for Christmas. The launch lineup is impressive compared to past consoles but an online centric game like BLOPS 2 doesn't interest me one bit. With the launch of Nintendo's online service and a potentially small online community, problems will abound.

#14 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

I saw Wipeout and my head almost exploded.

#15 Posted by selbie (1938 posts) -

I want to be excited, but I'm not.

Maybe when the other systems are announced I'll have a basis for comparison. Once the other consoles are announced I have a feeling the Wii U sales will suffer quite a lot without any big release titles to hold peoples attention.

#16 Edited by Abendlaender (2845 posts) -

That's actually a pretty strong launch lineup.

I love the term "launch window" though. I might buy a Wii U some time in the "after launch window"

#17 Posted by AndrewB (7670 posts) -

@Rappelsiini said:

I saw Wipeout and my head almost exploded.

Yup, but I almost immediately realized it wasn't *that* Wipeout, and I'm looking forward to the Quick Look with Vincent and the Davis.

#18 Posted by Snail (8622 posts) -
#19 Posted by Abendlaender (2845 posts) -

Also: Fingers crossed for a Funky Barn QL. Since Brad is a fan of Barnstorming this should be right up his alley

#20 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4424 posts) -

Yup nothing of interest there except for Pikmin 3 and that's not enough to let me justify this thing collecting dust while I wait for the game to release.

#21 Edited by RE_Player1 (7566 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Jeopardy? Really?

Alex Trebek goes wherever he wants motherfucker!

#22 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -

The only thing there for me would be ZombiU and maybe AC3 if I don't buy it on PC first. I'm interested to see the game pad functionality for AC3.

#23 Posted by Soap (3614 posts) -

@DjCmeP said:

@Soap: You're not. I have a feeling this console won't do very well and it probably won't.

I wish I could share your optimism but I think it will probably sell like crazy and just make me feel even more annoyed and detached from current gamers than I already do.

#24 Posted by Turambar (6814 posts) -

@msavo said:

@Turambar said:

Jeopardy? Really?

Will that game even have Alex Trebek?

#25 Posted by blacklab (1572 posts) -

Some mook at Gamestop tried to get me to pre-order a Wii U yesterday. Um, no.

Although a zombie fitness game might get me in the mood.

#26 Posted by TehChich (165 posts) -

I definitely want a Wii U just because, well, I guess I just want to play ALL THE GAMES on ALL THE CONSOLES. I just need to find the money...

#27 Edited by Jolt92 (1560 posts) -

That's a pretty good launch day list in my opinion.

Curious to see reviews for all of these games.

Edit: Cloudberry Kingdom is that game set in Lappland?

#28 Posted by MEATBALL (3345 posts) -

While there is nothing that is absolutely must own, I think that is a very strong launch lineup. Looking forward to the system's release.

#29 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

So Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is no longer in the launch window? Also, big thanks for being the first site I've seen to order the products by release date instead of lazily copying them from the press release in developer order.

#30 Posted by Soap (3614 posts) -

@blacklab said:

Some mook at Gamestop tried to get me to pre-order a Wii U yesterday. Um, no.

I had a similar thing happen here in Game in the UK. The guy tried to get me to pre order and I just said "No chance, but honestly, not as an employee of a huge store, but as a gamer... would you pre order one?" at which point he looks me straight in the eye and goes "pfft! Hell no!"

#31 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

I look forward to the Wii U all-day launch stream!

#32 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@YoungFrey

So Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is no longer in the launch window? Also, big thanks for being the first site I've seen to order the products by release date instead of lazily copying them from the press release in developer order.

It had always been considered a March release, from what I recall.
#33 Posted by RE_Player1 (7566 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@msavo said:

@Turambar said:

Jeopardy? Really?

I bet it won't but I bet he still gets paid which is all that matters.

#34 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

No Rayman Legends on launch day, no buy.

#35 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1664 posts) -

@Phat2: That's some cold hard text you dropped

#36 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1219 posts) -

Woohoo, subpar ports!

#37 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Yup, not interested in anything on that list. I either already have or just don't want everything.

#38 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@msavo said:

@Turambar said:

Jeopardy? Really?

They're paying for Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune licences, not the hosts. You think GameTek is made of money?

Is there a reason Mass Effect 3 is launch window and not launch?

#39 Posted by DanAmrich (8 posts) -

On the Activision front, the non-launch day titles -- Rapala, Cabela's, and 007 Legends -- are all dated for December 4.

#40 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (944 posts) -

Wait, I thought up until recently The Wonderful 101 WAS a launch game? Why the hell would they suddenly delay it?

#41 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Taku128

Wait, I thought up until recently The Wonderful 101 WAS a launch game? Why the hell would they suddenly delay it?

It was never at any point announced as a day one launch game.
#42 Posted by ProfessorK (825 posts) -

@Hailinel: And it's not even on the second list, bummer.

#43 Posted by LikeaSsur (1571 posts) -

Well, I guess it's safe to say I'll be skipping the Wii U for the time being.

#44 Posted by camp7203 (121 posts) -

Skylanders on the Wii U. Awesome. The "portal of power" has more memory than the damn console.

#45 Posted by freakin9 (1158 posts) -

I'm a little surprised just how bad the new Mario game looks to me.

I think it's partially because they didn't even try to update the look of Mario with the new power under the hood, very lazy.

Not that I expect them to ever make a realistic Mario, but I'd welcome something of that ilk.

#46 Posted by Shaunage (719 posts) -

Huh, I was pretty sure Rayman Legends was day one. There goes the 5% chance I was getting one at launch.

#47 Posted by RudeCubes (142 posts) -

The assumption that everyone that owns a Wii also owns a 360/PS3 is pretty baffling

#48 Posted by spankingaddict (2714 posts) -

Will get a Wii U when Pikmin 3 , Wonderful 101 , Rayman , and Bayonetta 2 comes . Can't wait . Waiting sucks :P

#49 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

That's a decent amount of games, if you don't already own any current gen systems or an average PC.

Nintendo themselves should have had a big new game out to launch with this thing, another 2D Mario game doesn't really cut it. The launch window has a couple of more interesting games, but I can easily wait a year or two. Especially since I'm sure the ones I'm interested in will get ports eventually.

#50 Posted by CosmicQueso (570 posts) -

The more negativity I hear from the GB crew and the more the enthusiast press and "core" crap all over the Wii U the more certain I am it's going to be a huge mass market hit.

History. It's repeating itself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.