Here Are All the Games You Could Feasibly Buy on Wii U Launch Day

• 123 results
#51 Posted by triviaman09 (801 posts) -

Funky Barn is only launch window? Guess I'll hold off on my Wii U preorder.

#52 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2452 posts) -

Mario, Skylanders, and maybe ZombiU. And the deluxe comes with Nintendo Land. Better Launch lineup than a lot of past systems for me.

#53 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

the lack of rayman legends at launch now makes me ok with the fact if I wait in line and end up not getting one at launch.

#54 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3255 posts) -

I care about the Wii U even less than whoever the last commenter who said they don't care about the Wii U is. Do I get my prize now?

#55 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

With all due respect the term "Launch Window" can straight up go suck a dick.

#56 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

Seems like a much stronger launch day lineup than I had thought, pretty surprising. Also I totally thought that there was some weird HD remake of Wipeout 3 coming for this thing, but instead it's this.

#57 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@YoungFrey

So Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is no longer in the launch window? Also, big thanks for being the first site I've seen to order the products by release date instead of lazily copying them from the press release in developer order.

It had always been considered a March release, from what I recall.

Yes, it was announced for March. But the Launch Window™ covers March. So when they don't list Monster Hunter as Launch Window™ it implies MH has slipped. Maybe it's a mistake but I would expect them to put every title possible on that press release.

#58 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -
@freakin9

I'm a little surprised just how bad the new Mario game looks to me.

I think it's partially because they didn't even try to update the look of Mario with the new power under the hood, very lazy.

Not that I expect them to ever make a realistic Mario, but I'd welcome something of that ilk.

Go look at pictures of Realbotnik from Sonic 2k6 again and tell me you actually want that.
#59 Posted by Jayzilla (2560 posts) -

My golden rule for buying a console: It must have 10 games on it that are MUST play for me. Once a console hits that point, it's worth it. There aren't 10 games yet for this thing that are must play. I will wait.

#60 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Ubisoft coming to get that easy launch money. They must have made a ton off of Red Steel 1.

#61 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11647 posts) -

Ehhh. Nothing that would make me want to rush out and buy it.

#62 Posted by dream431ca (171 posts) -

@morrelloman: You and me both.

#63 Posted by fargofallout (281 posts) -

Don't care. Wake me when the successor to Mario Galaxy is here.

#64 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

That's a pretty strong day one line-up.

#65 Posted by Curufinwe (1262 posts) -

If only it was Wip3out HD.

#66 Posted by Nux (2337 posts) -

Why would anyone want Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U? It makes no sence to me.

#67 Posted by YOUNGLINK (546 posts) -

hmm, doesn't seem feasible but cod on day one is a killer.

#68 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

noshitgiven.png

#69 Posted by Cthulad (49 posts) -

Maybe a year or 2 later, and the console goes down on price, and some games will cheaper, I would pick this up. With The PS3, and Xbox I own now, I have played the games I want. The only one I would play is ZombieU since it uses that specific controller. I got burnt on the Wii, and know I will not get this until later.

#70 Posted by BisonHero (6453 posts) -
@AndrewB

@Rappelsiini said:

I saw Wipeout and my head almost exploded.

Yup, but I almost immediately realized it wasn't *that* Wipeout, and I'm looking forward to the Quick Look with Vincent and the Davis.

Vincent and the Davis, coming this fall on ABC.
#71 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -

I remember a time when a Nintendo system launching with a Mario game was a defining moment for that console. Super Mario World in the 16-bit era blew my mind the first time I played it. Even today, the game is infinitely re-playable. Likewise with Super Mario 64, a title that paved the way for early 3D platformers. With New Super Mario Bros U, I am shocked at how bored I feel by it. It's a Mario game and I've played (and enjoyed) the previous entries on DS and Wii. But that series seems so familiar now and feeling that way is weird for me. I hope (and have a good feeling that) Nintendo is able to bring something out soon that feels truly innovative, especially for the Mario franchise. I'm sure eventually I'll be getting a Wii U once games like Metroid, Zelda, etc. hit the system. But even then I am really hoping Nintendo does something new with their franchises. I know they can do it because it's what made me love their games so long ago.

#72 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2495 posts) -

23 games at launch... 17 of them are sequels, and 4 or 5 of them are minigame collections (I say 4 or 5 because I'm not sure I should include Your Shape Fitness in that list)

ZombiU still looks pretty cool, though, and actually seems to be the only launch title I'm interested in.

Wonderful 101 also looks kind of great, and Pikmin 3.

I'm cautiously looking at Mighty Switch Force HD, and Tank! Tank! Tank!, but I'm still not sure. If they add new levels into Mighty Switch Force, I might consider it... but if not, I already have the 3DS version.

I'll probably get a Wii U down the road, but it doesn't seem like something I need right away. (Also, I have no interest whatsoever in Bayonetta II)

#73 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -

Seems like a pretty strong lineup as far as launch days go, but nothing I would want to play at all

#74 Posted by MormonWarrior (2577 posts) -

@fargofallout said:

Don't care. Wake me when the successor to Mario Galaxy is here.

Oooh! Me too!

#75 Posted by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@freakin9

I'm a little surprised just how bad the new Mario game looks to me.

I think it's partially because they didn't even try to update the look of Mario with the new power under the hood, very lazy.

Not that I expect them to ever make a realistic Mario, but I'd welcome something of that ilk.

Go look at pictures of Realbotnik from Sonic 2k6 again and tell me you actually want that.

I'm perfectly aware of the creep factor.

#76 Edited by Warchief (657 posts) -

No Wonderful 101 on day one = who fucking cares.

#77 Posted by wizeguy (72 posts) -

What winds me up is that is a impressive launch but still you get people saying it isn't. No matter what Nintendo do they will always be slated. I've preordered mine and will quite a lot of those game. And I own all other consoles. I'll get fifa13 on wiiu as well.

#78 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

No Zelda game?

If they were to announce a new Zelda game, I'd consider getting a Wii U. I missed out on Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword and while those received mixed reactions, I would have loved to play them. But Nintendo as a whole doesn't appeal to me enough anymore to get a console just for those nostalgia games.

#79 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I know that many people hold bitter feelings about Nintendo, but I'm surprised there aren't more people on this site that are excited for this. This is easily one of the meatiest and impressive launch line-up of games I've seen in years, though I would like to see more 1st party titles. Still, it's been a very long time since we've had a console launch with this many games.

#80 Posted by ripelivejam (3818 posts) -

i have a strong feeling that many of the naysayers commenting here will end up clamoring for a wii u in the months to come.

#81 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@Soap said:

@blacklab said:

Some mook at Gamestop tried to get me to pre-order a Wii U yesterday. Um, no.

I had a similar thing happen here in Game in the UK. The guy tried to get me to pre order and I just said "No chance, but honestly, not as an employee of a huge store, but as a gamer... would you pre order one?" at which point he looks me straight in the eye and goes "pfft! Hell no!"

I try not to care to much when the employees pester me, they are just doing their jobs and working at Gamestop is a major drag anyway.

#82 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

I don't know why I am not that excited, because I see a lot of games on here that I would want to play. This is actually a really good launch lineup.

#83 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@MasturbatingestBear said:

I don't know why I am not that excited, because I see a lot of games on here that I would want to play. This is actually a really good launch lineup.

It is, we haven't had this strong of a console launch since maybe the Dreamcast.

#84 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

I bet NSMBU is going to sell a big load of copies.

#85 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

It has CoD and a token Mario game so technically this is a good launch. And if the Wii U is anything like the Wii: I'll buy one 4 years after this November.

#86 Posted by tourgen (4478 posts) -

I just want to play Bayonetta 2. The question is how much is it going to cost me.

#87 Posted by steelerzfan101 (270 posts) -

Well, I can see that the system already has it's fair share of shovelware crap already coming out! I am though looking forward to both Rayman Legends, NSMBU, and Lego City Undercover. Those will probably be the first games that I will get.

#88 Posted by paulunga (1998 posts) -

As far as launch lineups go that is a pretty solid list. Certainly better than Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360.

#89 Posted by yoshisaur (2708 posts) -

I'll be picking one up when a game that actually convinces me to purchase the console shows up. Another Super Mario Bros. is a cop-out, which leaves that list pretty lack-luster for me. Nintendo will remedy it down the road, though, I'm sure. It's not like Microsoft/Sony didn't pull these shenanigans for the 360/PS3.

#90 Posted by MjHealy (1844 posts) -

Funky. Barn.

#91 Posted by jaycrockett (443 posts) -

I wonder if my 360 portal of power would work on a Wii U. Maybe they won't even sell a copy of Skylanders:Giants without it bundled in.

#92 Posted by PompousDawson (77 posts) -

NSMBU and ZombiU day one, then Rayman Legends and Game & Wario whenever they release. Im interested in Epic Mickey 2 (played the first, camera destroyed it) and Darksiders 2 but I may just play those on 360 after the inevitable price drop.

Still a great time to be a gamer.

#93 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1771 posts) -

This may do better than I imagined, but I'm still curious to see if it can pull in Wii numbers. I doubt it, but what do I know?

#94 Edited by ptys (1939 posts) -

So this is the line up Nintendo chose to bow out on. It'll sell for the first year or so, but will probably be their last console.

#95 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

That's actually not a terrible lineup. Nothing too exciting, but not bad. I'm still probably not going to pick one up for at least a year or so.

#96 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
@ptys said:

So this is the line up Nintendo chose to bow out on. It'll sell for the first year or so, but will probably be their last console.

Why would it be their last console?
#97 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -

Unimpressed. I'm definitely not in for this. Bought a 3DS early on and couldn't be more... meh on it. There's not enough out there. In hindsight I wouldn't buy it. This seems like something, if I bought it, I'd be in the same boat.

#98 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

There are two launch games I would consider buying that are exclusive to the system (the others I can buy on my Xbox/PS3). Yeah, I'm good.

#99 Posted by Soap (3579 posts) -

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Soap said:

@blacklab said:

Some mook at Gamestop tried to get me to pre-order a Wii U yesterday. Um, no.

I had a similar thing happen here in Game in the UK. The guy tried to get me to pre order and I just said "No chance, but honestly, not as an employee of a huge store, but as a gamer... would you pre order one?" at which point he looks me straight in the eye and goes "pfft! Hell no!"

I try not to care to much when the employees pester me, they are just doing their jobs and working at Gamestop is a major drag anyway.

Oh I know, I've worked those jobs before :P

Soul crushing work for sure.

#100 Edited by BlazeHedgehog (1091 posts) -
@ptys said:

Even when it looks like Nintendo is losing, they usually have a strategy to stay profitable. Thinking that this is the end for them is comically short-sighted. Remember when everybody thought the DS was going to get stomped by the PSP? Remember how the 3DS was "doomed"? If you take off your nostalgia goggles (aka "the retrospecs"), the N64 and Gamecube were not exactly what one would call "revered and respected" consoles in their day.

And Nintendo was fine. They will continue to be fine. It's Sony and Microsoft you have to worry about - they sunk hundreds of millions of dollars in to launching the 360 and PS3 and probably only made a fraction of that money back in return. And to stay ahead of Nintendo, they're going to have to do it all over again - because that's what the game industry is now for them: a constant balancing act between roaring success and devastating bankruptcy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.