Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

How is the Wii U's eShop doing?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

I keep seeing coverage of the 3DS eShop, and as a 3DS owner, I can vouch that some of those games are totally legit.

How is the Wii U's eShop doing? Any good downloadable games? Even at launch, the only one I really remember them pushing was that game where you fly around as a weird papercraft bird, and an HD port of Mighty Switch Force.

WiiWare on the Wii was almost always abysmal, except for exceedingly rare diamonds in the rough like Swords & Soldiers and Fluidity. Given that I've heard even less about the Wii U eShop, should I assume things are not going great?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I keep seeing coverage of the 3DS eShop, and as a 3DS owner, I can vouch that some of those games are totally legit.

How is the Wii U's eShop doing? Any good downloadable games? Even at launch, the only one I really remember them pushing was that game where you fly around as a weird papercraft bird, and an HD port of Mighty Switch Force.

WiiWare on the Wii was almost always abysmal, except for exceedingly rare diamonds in the rough like Swords & Soldiers and Fluidity. Given that I've heard even less about the Wii U eShop, should I assume things are not going great?

There's actually plenty of good stuff on the eShop (both Wii U and 3DS). The releases have by and large been of respectable quality, as opposed to the Wii Shop Channel's ridiculous beer pong and Family Tennis games and what have you. You just need to look elsewhere for news on it, because you aren't likely to get much about it on Giant Bomb other than more pleas for Jeff to bring back the Download Express.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Yeah, I wasn't really trying to bash the Wii U eShop or anything, but I'm just kind of curious why I've heard so little.

I remember actually seeing a few outlets reviewing Fluidity and giving it really good reviews, which led to me buying it, and it's a really cool game that I bet nobody played; by comparison, I just don't see many Wii U downloadable games getting highlighted at all on any of the sites I read. Even if the 3DS eShop games don't get a formal review, at least I see places doing a little write up or podcast mention of something like Attack of the Friday Monsters, or what have you.

I literally don't have any sense of what are the interesting downloadable games for the Wii U, so are there any that someone cares to recommend?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't know... seems okay but I've found more stuff to enjoy on the 3DS then the Wii U. What I do like is how small Nintendo's first party games are. The new Mario game is under 2 gigs and Windwaker is around that size too. Pretty refreshing compared to the 15 GB+ downloads I'm used to on Steam. Downloads also seem fast on Wii U, at least compared to the 3DS.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel: Yeah, I wasn't really trying to bash the Wii U eShop or anything, but I'm just kind of curious why I've heard so little.

I remember actually seeing a few outlets reviewing Fluidity and giving it really good reviews, which led to me buying it, and it's a really cool game that I bet nobody played; by comparison, I just don't see many Wii U downloadable games getting highlighted at all on any of the sites I read. Even if the 3DS eShop games don't get a formal review, at least I see places doing a little write up or podcast mention of something like Attack of the Friday Monsters, or what have you.

I literally don't have any sense of what are the interesting downloadable games for the Wii U, so are there any that someone cares to recommend?

Well, I guess it kind of depends on what you're in the market for.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hailinel: http://www.nintendolife.com/ seems to do well with the eShop reviews. Give them a check out. Really won't see much Nintendo system news on most big all system sites, not a large market for it. That and you got Nintendo Direct that more or less does all the "press" work.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

The recent Nintendo Direct mashup video of all the cool indie games coming to Wii U/3DS made me hopeful. Shovel Knight looks like it could be really cool.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.