How the Wii U Could Fail.

#1 Edited by Akrid (1356 posts) -

 The Wii was a Failure

Well, not to everyone it was. Nintendo certainly enjoyed what it accomplished with the Wii, with 87 million units sold to date, and tens of millions of software sold. No, the Wii was certainly a success for the ones who created it, However, anyone and everyone else suffered under the rule of Nintendo. (Disclaimer: stereotyping [and opinions] ahoy, as that's really the only method I have of trying to look at the bigger picture)
 
First off, us. I think many here would agree that the Wii is less than appealing to those who play games on a regular basis. Many rejected the thought of waving one's arms around as a method of controlling a game, and those who didn't found the catalogue criminally underwhelming. Largely only those of us that felt they had to keep up with Mario and Link's adventures bought in, and that would include myself. Those who did this were probably filled with regret once they realized that they'd only be treated to an infrequent trickle of these games amongst a sea of mediocrity. They begrudgingly enjoyed their complimentary Wii Sports, but they continued to pine for something that really appealed. Hope was stoked by occasional titles like Mad World and Red Steel 2, but quickly extinguished by the realization that these games or the way you interact with them still remain just not very fun.
 
Secondly, there was them. Those who saw Wii Sports on Good Morning America or Oprah and thought to themselves, "Hey, that looks real fun!". They happen to see one in Wal-mart one day and pick it up for their kids, on request or otherwise. These folks enjoy their Wii for a week, the kids perhaps a few months, and move on, barely aware that there are more then 5 games for the thing. They've either gained what they thought they would gain from it and are satisfied, or feel burned by falling for a gimmick.
 
Thirdly, and most importantly, the developers. The ones who make the games. After struggling against the restrictions imposed by the technology in vain, they acquiesce and get the handle on the best way to utilize the capabilities of the Wii. So they make their games. However, there's a big black hole that their time and effort falls in to. No one buys the games. Why? 'We' were gone, only 'They' remained. So they understandably adjust their strategy and target the demographic that was present. But a problem was presented in that 'those' people would never hear of their game, and even if they did are not likely to buy it over something that is much worse. All this amounted to making a quality Wii game a much higher risk then a quality 360 or PS3 game. Those that were aimed at winning 'us' back were met with ambivalence, with Red Steel 2 only selling half a million copies.The only developers that found success on the Wii were the ones willing to work in penny trading: Majesco, Hudson, Ubisoft. Putting out small, inexpensive games to fill store shelves as fast and consistently as they can. Because of these issues, the Wii was quickly abandoned by the third party, a simply amazing phenomenon considering that the Wii still leaves it's competition in the dust in terms of hardware sales.

 The U may Continue this Tradition

With the Wii U, Nintendo is aiming for the midpoint in order to capture both audiences equally. Sounds like a great strategy, but I've noticed things that may condemn it to the same fate as it's predecessor. Or worse.
 
Right off the bat, the Wii U does not have the same wow-factor that the Wii had. It's pretty safe to say that families are probably not going to rush out and buy them, unless prompted by their children. Nintendo has instantly lost a huge percentage of that crowd by making the console so iterative yet incompatible. That demographic is largely ruled out, so instead they are forced to turn back to us.
 
The first thing I thought when I saw that new controller was "How are they going to make that fun?". If the original Wii wasn't covered in so much snake oil and confusion I would have asked the same thing. What could one possibly do with a controller with a tablet interface, a front facing camera, IR sensors, and accelerometers? The answer is, of course, a million and one incredibly shallow things. The examples that Nintendo showed in their press conference were a small sampling of those things. Throwing shurikens, playing board games, assassinating mii's, etc. These are not games, these are applications. 'We' do not want applications, 'We' want games. And without that, what is left of the Wii U? Nothing that I don't already have. Well, except special inventory management in Darksiders 2, but I'll live.
 
When they first showed the original Wii, I was optimistic. "Oh, what excellent technology! Some very creative people will make something very smart that I'll love!". That never happened, and never will. They have trolled the creative depths for years now and come up with nothing better than Wii Sports Resort, all of it ending up on a spectrum between "gimmicky" and "a ps2 game on a bad controller". With the Wii U, this metric has simply changed to "gimmicky" and "a 360 game". It's telling to me that Nintendo usually only has a smattering of it's own technology present in it's own games. It shows that they know traditional games allow for so much more than their tech can provide by itself. So why would 'We' want a U?  
 
'We' don't.
   
But that is simply my own logic as to why the Wii U is probably going to be useless to you. It's still admittedly a great big question mark as to what the general adoption rate will be, but I think things like "The Wii U is an 'inbetween' system," and "We still fucking hate motion controls" will dissuade many of 'Us'. And as I've shown, the Wii cannot do without us, especially not this time round. If we don't pick up and support the Wii U, third party support will drop like a rock for wont of sales and the only ones that will profit in the end will be, once again, Nintendo, garnering sales from two demographics that are at odds with each other. 
 
This is all undoubtedly pre-mature, but I felt like writing it anyway. Not even sure if it even makes sense any more, it's getting late here. The paragraphs are beginning to swim in my vision. Anyway, any reasons that you're excited to pay money for the Wii U? Please share them.
#2 Posted by Hailinel (24736 posts) -

Dude, I'm one of "us," and I liked the Wii just fine. So what if it had a lot of games that appealed more to the Oprah crowd?

Online
#3 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I get what your saying. I'm not sure about the controller and screen. What sold the wii was the controls were so easy to use, even your grandma can play games. Now she can't even hold the controller anymore or see the small screen with her cateract.

#4 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@Hailinel: Sure! I enjoyed my Wii a fair bit as well, and hey, I love me some Wii Sports Resort. I just stereotyped a bit for the sake of my point.
#5 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Meh...the PS2 had just as much, if not more, shovelware than the Wii.  The problem with the Wii was/is that it just had too few really great games...but it did/does have the best exclusive first party games this gen.  Now that they have the third party developers on board as well, they pretty much have this whole thing cased.  All the good third party games + the best first party games = the winner of all video games ever.  

#6 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Damn, that's a whole lot of words of nothing. I really enjoyed my Wii experience. I'm looking forward to more. And guess what, the Wii U is totally backwards compatible with all of its accessories with the Wii. The Wii U will have a tablet which is very cool now and for the foreseeable future. So lame of an argument.

#7 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@phish09: A fair point.
 
@Claude: I was intentionally trying to be a bit more verbose then usual. I probably could have done it in two paragraphs if I wanted to, but that doesn't make for much of a topic...
 
When I watched the Nintendo conference, I was super excited. Then I took an objective look at the facts. I know you love your Wii. I loved it less. Many others loved it less. I, personally, would not buy again, and I would be doing just that by buying into this, something I was totally ready to do at the end of that conference. And, I dunno, I think I made some good points!
#8 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Verbosity. Empty verbosity.

#9 Posted by solarisdeschain (99 posts) -

Tens of millions of software sold? The Wii Sports games alone are worth about 100.

#10 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: What? I don't even understand this claim.  
  
I explained that the Wii was a failure to consumers and developers.
I explained that the Wii failed because they lost the crowd that were willing to buy more than one game. 
I showed why this gave a rise in shovelware. 
I showed that the Wii U will not be able to live without us this time.
I gave many reasons as to why we, as a whole, may not be interested in the Wii U. 
If we are not interested in the U, it's dead in the water. 
 
Lives up to the topic title, no? Maybe a super genius like yourself already knew all this, but I just figured it all out and thought I'd share.
 
@solarisdeschain: True! But the non-sports games sold in the tens of millions, which shows that the Wii was dominated by those who wanted only one or two games and weren't actively looking for more.
#11 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Akrid said:
@SeriouslyNow: What? I don't even understand this claim.  
  
I explained that the Wii was a failure to consumers and developers.
I explained that the Wii failed because they lost the crowd that were willing to buy more than one game. 
I showed why this gave a rise in shovelware. 
I showed that the Wii U will not be able to live without us this time.
I gave many reasons as to why we, as a whole, may not be interested in the Wii U. 
If we are not interested in the U, it's dead in the water. 
 
Lives up to the topic title, no? Maybe a super genius like yourself already knew all this, but I just figured it all out and thought I'd share.
 
@solarisdeschain: True! But the non-sports games sold in the tens of millions, which shows that the Wii was dominated by those who wanted only one or two games and weren't actively looking for more.
You wrote a lot of words, none of which are based in fact and then you try and shape your verbage of opinion as  if it's fact, when it's not. An undepowered SD device with a new control interface beat two HD devices with classic control interfaces and then led them to head towards a similar control standard can not be seen as a failure.  The Wii was not a failure, not by any measure.  You just didn't like it.  Your logic is failing you in this case.  
 
"we" =! you
#12 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

lol  
"Real gamers" have not handled their descent into irrelevancy very well. 

#13 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: Again, I still have little fucking clue where you're coming from. Everything you say is true in it's own way, but you say it in such a negative light. Yes, 90% of above is opinion. This is basically a given on the internet. I don't see how prefacing every sentence with "I think" would help. The argument I gave against the Wii U was entirely based upon my own opinion, and I completely admit that. Whether or not a significant amount of people see eye to eye with me on it remains to be seen. Honestly, probably not many will. But if it turns out they do, then the Wii U may be in trouble.  
 
The Wii was a failure in that a lot of developers never figured out how to make money off it, and there are a percentage of consumers that were not satisfied with the Wii.
 
The model that Nintendo established with the Wii is unsustainable as evidenced by their change of tune with the Wii U, and Sony and Microsoft are fools to try and replicate it. But that's a tangential issue.  
 
@ryanwho said:
lol butthurt
Classy.
#14 Posted by bearshamanbro (284 posts) -

I think the big difference this time though might be that the new controller has all of the standard controller inputs so porting to the Wii U from PS3/360 should be very easy and little risk for third party developers. For Wii owners who want to get in on all of the 3rd party games they are missing but continue to play their Nintendo exclusives, this will be golden.

#15 Edited by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

Why are we constantly looking for companies to fail? Do we want our favorite series to never come out again? Do we want thousands of people to lose their jobs in a bad economy? Why can't we take something positive out of our hobby instead of ALWAYS looking at negatives. I'll admit that the Wii U hasn't completely hooked me, only because they haven't shown a launch window or price, but it interests me and I can see how the system can work well.

#16 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Akrid said:
@SeriouslyNow: Again, I still have little fucking clue where you're coming from. Everything you say is true in it's own way, but you say it in such a negative light. Yes, 90% of above is opinion. This is basically a given on the internet. I don't see how prefacing every sentence with "I think" would help. The argument I gave against the Wii U was entirely based upon my own opinion, and I completely admit that. Whether or not a significant amount of people see eye to eye with me on it remains to be seen. Honestly, probably not many will. But if it turns out they do, then the Wii U may be in trouble.  
 
The Wii was a failure in that a lot of developers never figured out how to make money off it, and there are a percentage of consumers that were not satisfied with the Wii.
 
The model that Nintendo established with the Wii is unsustainable as evidenced by their change of tune with the Wii U, and Sony and Microsoft are fools to try and replicate it. But that's a tangential issue.  
 
Look, I'm not being aggressive, nor am I saying anything that others here, including Claude, haven't already said.  Your argument is bullshit, that's all.  The Wii wasn't a failure.  It was a success.  Its success doesn't make you happy and that's all.  The Wii's supposedly 'unsustainable' marketing has eclipsed everything else in the market. Don't you realise how much bullshit you're speaking? The Wii-U isn't a known quantity yet.  Nothing is even finalised, so how can you assume anything at all?  You can't.  Just tune down the bullshit and say more using less verbage.
#17 Posted by Colin (707 posts) -

I think it will all come down to the price, if it's too much they will lose the more casual crowd of users but I'm sure they know that and will plan carefully not to make the WiiU overly expensive but either way them controllers don't look cheap at all.

#18 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

The only Wii games I have are Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, MKWii and SSBB. That's all I've had interest in. I just haven't sold it yet because I made the boneheaded decision to not buy it at Costco.

#19 Posted by DeeGee (2125 posts) -

You really need to remove all instances of 'we' and 'us' from your post. This is purely you trying to throw your own opinions out as fact, and I don't appreciate you trying to speak for me, or for anybody.

#20 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@DeeGee said:

You really need to remove all instances of 'we' and 'us' from your post. This is purely you trying to throw your own opinions out as fact, and I don't appreciate you trying to speak for me, or for anybody.

He wants to believe he speaks for a lot of people because he wants to think people like him are still relevant. And they are, we saw plenty of tedious brown military shooters at E3. Im sure they'll make their way over to Wii U, so I really don't know what he's bitching about.
#21 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@bearshamanbro said:

I think the big difference this time though might be that the new controller has all of the standard controller inputs so porting to the Wii U from PS3/360 should be very easy and little risk for third party developers. For Wii owners who want to get in on all of the 3rd party games they are missing but continue to play their Nintendo exclusives, this will be golden.

Yeah, definitely. But... Does a Wii-only owner who's interested in third party games exist nowadays? If so, they'd have to be an extremely patient person to not crack after all this time.
 
Easy portability is definitely what Nintendo is banking on now, and it seems like a perfectly sound plan. But my argument here is those who own a 360/PS3 might not want to shell out the dough just to get a handful of really good exclusives and their regular games with some touch controls for a couple years.
 
@neoepoch said:

Why are we constantly looking for companies to fail? Do we want our favorite series to never come out again? Do we want thousands of people to lose their jobs in a bad economy? Why can't we take something positive out of our hobby instead of ALWAYS looking at negatives. I'll admit that the Wii U hasn't completely hooked me, only because they haven't shown a launch window or price, but it interests me and I can see how the system can work well.

I'm really not trying to be negative. Coming from that press conference, I was assured of the Wii U's success. Then this just sort of occurred to me and I decided to write it down.  
 
@SeriouslyNow said:
@Akrid said:
@SeriouslyNow: Again, I still have little fucking clue where you're coming from. Everything you say is true in it's own way, but you say it in such a negative light. Yes, 90% of above is opinion. This is basically a given on the internet. I don't see how prefacing every sentence with "I think" would help. The argument I gave against the Wii U was entirely based upon my own opinion, and I completely admit that. Whether or not a significant amount of people see eye to eye with me on it remains to be seen. Honestly, probably not many will. But if it turns out they do, then the Wii U may be in trouble.  
 
The Wii was a failure in that a lot of developers never figured out how to make money off it, and there are a percentage of consumers that were not satisfied with the Wii.
 
The model that Nintendo established with the Wii is unsustainable as evidenced by their change of tune with the Wii U, and Sony and Microsoft are fools to try and replicate it. But that's a tangential issue.  
 
Look, I'm not being aggressive, nor am I saying anything that others here, including Claude, haven't already said.  Your argument is bullshit, that's all.  The Wii wasn't a failure.  It was a success.  Its success doesn't make you happy and that's all.  The Wii's supposedly 'unsustainable' marketing has eclipsed everything else in the market. Don't you realise how much bullshit you're speaking? The Wii-U isn't a known quantity yet.  Nothing is even finalised, so how can you assume anything at all?  You can't.  Just tune down the bullshit and say more using less verbage.
I've laid out my argument as to why the Wii is a failure in certain respects multiple times now. I'm not sure what else I can say about that. I've shown that the market that Nintendo targeted with the Wii is mostly tapped, at least for now. This is definitely pre-mature, I've acknowledged this and have taken it in to account.
#22 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@DeeGee said:

You really need to remove all instances of 'we' and 'us' from your post. This is purely you trying to throw your own opinions out as fact, and I don't appreciate you trying to speak for me, or for anybody.

That's totally fair. Though understand that it would have been completely impossible to construct a decent argument out of this had I not stereotyped.
 
@ryanwho said:
@DeeGee said:

You really need to remove all instances of 'we' and 'us' from your post. This is purely you trying to throw your own opinions out as fact, and I don't appreciate you trying to speak for me, or for anybody.

He wants to believe he speaks for a lot of people because he wants to think people like him are still relevant. And they are, we saw plenty of tedious brown military shooters at E3. Im sure they'll make their way over to Wii U, so I really don't know what he's bitching about.
Dude...  
 
Dude.  
 
I have no words.
#23 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -
@Akrid said:
That's totally fair. Though understand that it would have been completely impossible to construct a decent argument out of this had I not stereotyped.
 
 
In the future, it would be wise to take these things into consideration.
#24 Edited by Xzeno (12 posts) -

I understand what he's trying to say and I agree to an extent. The Wii was a commercial success I don't think anyone would debate that but most people I personally know only ever bought 1-3 games for the system, These are people who I would consider hardcore gamers, people who love gaming, yet when it came to the Wii most of them including myself only ever turn on the Wii once or twice every month or two. I'm more speaking from my own personal experience and it doesn't necessarily mean it applies to everyone but I do agree that in the eyes of at least everyone I know who owns a Wii it was more a toy then an investment like the 360 and PS3 were. I guess the best way I can put it is, Just because Twilight sold extremely well doesn't necessarily make it a great series of books, it just makes them popular.

#25 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@Bellum said:
@Akrid said:
That's totally fair. Though understand that it would have been completely impossible to construct a decent argument out of this had I not stereotyped.
 
 In the future, it would be wise to take these things into consideration.
Yeah, I should have seen that coming. I added a little disclaimer. 
 
@Xzeno said:
I understand what he's trying to say and I agree to an extent. The Wii was a commercial success I don't think anyone would debate that but most people I personally know only ever bought 1-3 games for the system, These are people who I would consider hardcore gamers, people who love gaming, yet when it came to the Wii most of them including myself only ever turn on the Wii once or twice every month or two. I'm more speaking from my own personal experience and it doesn't necessarily mean it applies to everyone but I do agree that in the eyes of at least everyone I know who owns a Wii it was more a toy then an investment like the 360 and PS3 were. I guess the best way I can put it is, Just because Twilight sold extremely well doesn't necessarily make it a great series of books, it just makes them popular.
Exactly. Stereotyping is obviously something I try to avoid, but I think I was pretty accurate in saying that at least a percentage of people who are big into games were dissatisfied with their Wii. And I thought I was liberal enough with the probably's and maybe's that it would be understood that there is actually a lot of variance.
#26 Posted by bearshamanbro (284 posts) -
@Akrid: I would imagine there are many Wii-only owners that are interested in the big 3rd party games. Two markets that jump to mind are younger gamers for whom the Wii was their first console. The Wii U gives them the chance the still play their existing Wii library but also jump into the big 3rd party games. The other group would be families that grabbed a Wii. For example, Dad might now have the option to play some Bioshock when the kids go to bed. I don't think Nintendo is interested in converting the existing xbox/ps crowd. They are probably more interested in growing with the userbase that they established with the Wii and continue pulling in non-gamers like they have been doing (biggest market).
#27 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@bearshamanbro: That's actually a damn good point. I personally think the true non-gamer market has mostly sailed for the time being, but  I suppose there will be millions of young-ish kids that are genuinely interested in games because of the Wii. The Wii U would be a natural progression for them.
#28 Posted by Xzeno (12 posts) -
@bearshamanbro: Personally I feel as though the Wii U controller won't keep casual Wii owners interested, the controller seemed aimed straight at the hardcore crowd. The Wiimote was accepted among the "non-gaming" crowd because of it's simplicity, the controller reminded them of a television remote and the controls for the system were equally as simple to grasp. My mom has a Wii, the main reason she never got an Xbox or PS3 was because the controller intimidated her. The Wii U controller goes back to that format as it has two thumbsticks, 4 shoulder buttons, a D-pad, 4 face buttons and a touch screen controller. For you casual user this is going to seem overwhelming for anything that uses more than just the touch screen, so I don't see this being aimed at the caual market which is what makes up a greater percentage of Wii owners at the moment. If a Dad was into a game like Bioshock chances are he owns a PS3 or 360 and I personally feel that the addition of (in my opinion) what looks like an extremely awkward controller to hold isn't going to make him switch over to this new console. I don't want Nintendo to fail but I do feel that they're trying to go after demographic that has moved on. What I am hearing more than anything among friends and people on the internet alike is "My 360/PS3 can already do that".
#29 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
lol  "Real gamers" have not handled their descent into irrelevancy very well. 
You could say we've handled it as well as the wii has handled third party software sales.
#30 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

Honestly there are more games for the Wii that I'm interested in than the 360/Ps3. :|

#31 Posted by bearshamanbro (284 posts) -
@Xzeno: I get that viewpoint as well, I guess we'll have to see how people perceive it. From what I remember of the presentation they were clear to only focus on the touch and stylus controls and trying to make it appear like a tablet that interacts with the TV. If that's what people see as well, I do not think the casual market will be intimidated as tablets are very mainstream now and familiar. I think they did a good job of using the white buttons and sticks so that they all blends in (kinda like a Kindle).  On my 'dad' example, I know a few young parents who wouldn't necessary invest in a gaming machine for themselves but would get them for their family/kids. My thinking is that if the option is there to play a game like Bioshock, they may pick it up where they might not have before. Another example is my Dad bought a Wii for when the grandkids come over but also occasionally has been into FPS games when I bring my PS3 home. Not sure how big this market is, but I think it's there.
#32 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Akrid said:
I've laid out my argument as to why the Wii is a failure in certain respects multiple times now. I'm not sure what else I can say about that. I've shown that the market that Nintendo targeted with the Wii is mostly tapped, at least for now. This is definitely pre-mature, I've acknowledged this and have taken it in to account.
No, you've taken what you see as failures and ignored the real success of the product to complain about something which doesn't exist yet.  It's not just premature, it's downright immature.
#33 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: We've whittled this conversation down to nothing. So....  
 
Okay.
#34 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
@ryanwho said:
lol  "Real gamers" have not handled their descent into irrelevancy very well. 
You could say we've handled it as well as the wii has handled third party software sales.
I'm more of a real gamer than you'll ever be.  I love the Wii.  What's your point exactly?
#35 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
@ryanwho said:
lol  "Real gamers" have not handled their descent into irrelevancy very well. 
You could say we've handled it as well as the wii has handled third party software sales.
boom 
Except the Wii booming while existing outside of a market full of entitled people is why you guys are so angry. They don't need you at all. They threw a bone with the WiiU. MS will probably not need you at all in a couple years, their conference clearly showed what they give a shit about and where they would prefer to shift their focus. And that's fine. It just means as you guys become less market relevant in more venues, I'll have to read more of this unsubstantiated doomsaying I guess. Just like how Republicans get louder when they're out of power.
#36 Posted by CarpetRemnant (375 posts) -

Yes, whittle it down to 'us' and 'them'. That's never ended badly in the past.

#37 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
@Pinworm45 said:
@ryanwho said:
lol  "Real gamers" have not handled their descent into irrelevancy very well. 
You could say we've handled it as well as the wii has handled third party software sales.
boom Except the Wii booming while existing outside of a market full of entitled people is why you guys are so angry. They don't need you at all. They threw a bone with the WiiU. MS will probably not need you at all in a couple years, their conference clearly showed what they give a shit about and where they would prefer to shift their focus. And that's fine. It just means as you guys become less market relevant in more venues, I'll have to read more of this unsubstantiated doomsaying I guess. Just like how Republicans get louder when they're out of power.
I'm not one of those doomsayers and I don't really care what Nintendo does.. I just don't think it's going to work. I agree with the OP. 
 
My experience with the wii was buying it, 5 of the highest rated games that I was most interested in, playing each for 5 minutes and never touching it again. I spent a lot of money, I went in with an open mind, and I was disappointed. Now, am I the target audience? I'd argue for a few of those games, yeah, but over all, nintendo is after the emergent "not gamers but will play games" crowd, IE soccer moms, grannies, whatever. It's worked for them.. in terms of hardware sales. But like my comment said, and like the OP explained, third party software sales have been abyssmal. Disastrous, even. Obviously nowhere near enough for Nintendo to be at risk, right now at least.. But I think there's a reason they are allegedly trying to appeal to the core crowd again. 
 
They want software sales to go up. And they have a good strategy - Retain the casual crowd and get the core crowd back. 
 
My only beef is that I don't think they'll pull it off. It's purely a speculative opinion, but I suspect the casual crowd won't be as interested this time and that the core crowd will feel burned by the Wii and not want to risk it again. 
 
They'll still make enough money to get by, though. But in terms of "they don't need [their core group] at all".. Maybe, but I think they want it back. 
 
Also I should have said "They've" and not "We've" in my joke. I don't enjoy the wii, but I don't have anything against it. I'm cool with Nintendo targeting a different audience, since I've never been a particularly huge fan anyway, and just picked the wii up based on hype. I just don't agree with it from a business point of view.
#38 Posted by pachowski (38 posts) -

hey, if i can play zelda,mario,super smash + AC,bioshock,ninja gaiden etc... in the same console, am in!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.