Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

How will the Wii U compare with the PS4/Xbox720?

• 72 results
    Moo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Moo
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    @ryanwho said:
    @sins_of_mosin said:
    I still need to see proof that the wii u can play a xbox 360/ps3 game.  Lets see it do Just Cause 2 or Enslaved.
    An 8 year old computer could run the specs on those games. Yeah, that's a real challenge you put out there dude.
    Then what game is worhty of the challenge 'dude'.
    Battlefield 3. If it can run Battlefield 3 properly, not like the PS3/360 versions, then I'll be convinced.
    Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Riddell

Who is the WiiU for? I can't figure it out. 

When Nintendo announced the WiiU, they opened up with games/concepts which could quite easily have been unannounced Wii titles. They then went on to say "we also have all these hardcore games!! Look at all the blood and violence".  

The people who "like" the cutesy games found on the Wii will not be interested in "hardcore" games and the hardcore gamers will not be interested in all the gimmicky and childish baggage associated with the Wii brand. 

Help me out guys.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ryanwho
    @sins_of_mosin said:

@ryanwho said:

@sins_of_mosin said:
    I still need to see proof that the wii u can play a xbox 360/ps3 game.  Lets see it do Just Cause 2 or Enslaved.
    An 8 year old computer could run the specs on those games. Yeah, that's a real challenge you put out there dude.
    Then what game is worhty of the challenge 'dude'.
    Witcher 2 chugs framerate even when it has 16 gigs of RAM to use. So the PC version of that might be challenging. Not the shitty portjob they're making for the PS360, but something that'll match the way it looks on PC. It could probably be done on the WiiU with some optimizing. 
    Bottom line is a bunch of fools here don't know shit about technology and think something should look twice as good when it makes the console leap. But when you double the polycount of a high poly model, you can barely see the difference. Diminishing returns are just part of the deal. You want something that looks "twice as good" as Uncharted? Not even the best PC can run that yet. Cus the specs will be exponential, something to the degree of 20 times the power of a PS3 probably in order to account for all the displacement mapping needed to approach realism and look "twice as good" in human eyes.
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    @Riddell said:
    Who is the WiiU for? I can't figure it out.  When Nintendo announced the WiiU, they opened up with games/concepts which could quite easily have been unannounced Wii titles. They then went on to say "we also have all these hardcore games!! Look at all the blood and violence".   The people who "like" the cutesy games found on the Wii will not be interested in "hardcore" games and the hardcore gamers will not be interested in all the gimmicky and childish baggage associated with the Wii brand.  Help me out guys.
    I'm guessing the people interested in the "childish" stuff will buy that and those interested in "hardcore" games will buy those?
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Hizang
    @Auswin
    The Wii can't play DVD's, or even CD's. I'd even say its to late for any of that because who is going to play a CD, on anything quite frankly.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ryanwho
    @Riddell said:

Who is the WiiU for? I can't figure it out.  When Nintendo announced the WiiU, they opened up with games/concepts which could quite easily have been unannounced Wii titles. They then went on to say "we also have all these hardcore games!! Look at all the blood and violence".   The people who "like" the cutesy games found on the Wii will not be interested in "hardcore" games and the hardcore gamers will not be interested in all the gimmicky and childish baggage associated with the Wii brand.  Help me out guys.

Its made for both people. This isn't rocket science. Just like you still think the xbox is HARDXCORE when all they give a shit about anymore is reaching the larger casual audience. There is no "real" gamer console, every console wants to hit every market. Some are more successful than other. Sony completely failing to appeal to the casual doesn't make them the most hardcore.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I was not saying that Just Cause 2 or Enslaved had the best visuals to date.  All I was saying is that before I would even think to compare the Wii U to a new console from the other two, I want to see it run a current game from the Xbox 360 and PS3.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ryanwho

Showing footage of games running on other consoles was a bit of a gaf, I'll admit. But the specs aren't set yet. I think the Zelda demo was supposed to be the graphical proof of concept but I guess looking much better than most 360 games doesn't prove it can run them.

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By Zaxex

Wait, the assumption is that the Wii U is more technically proficient than the PS3 and Xbox 360? And some are saying it'll be on par or stronger than Sony and Microsoft's next systems? What is this based on?

Is it capable of HD even? I haven't read up much on it but that tech demo with the bird isn't representative of the Wii U's games; surely. KOEI made a PS3 tech demo in 2005 that makes their 2011 games look terrible (technically).

I don't know that I believe a Nintendo-made tablet is going to be able to match, let alone exceed the capabilities of the current "Next-Gen" consoles. I'm expecting something more like the Wii again, if that. And that excuses the control methods, tilting and touching issues, wireless connection and battery life.

I really don't know what this is other than what they showed at the press conference. Would I be able to play Super Street Fighter IV AE in 720p at 60 FPS? Or a blockbuster shooter on my 50" plasma connected to my home theater system.

@ryanwho said:

A bunch of bitches pulling fantasies out of their ass where NIntendo's system doesn't add up to their fantasy console. You know what I think? I think once again Microsoft will build a system in an inclosure that can't handle it and everyone will go through about 4 of them, cus they make shitty hardware. My little fantasy scenario is actually based on history, see. And I think the various lawsuits Sony is going through could circumvent a PS4 from existing at all. Again, reality and history. By the same token, most games probably won't use the Nintendo tablet affectively. So really, WiiU will "only" be the place to play the best versions of multiplatform games. Waah, that's all it has going for it for the next 2 or 3 years, that and the best first party in the business seeing as most 2nd parties are freeing themselves up like Bungie and Insomniac. Poor little thing. Now it'll be the market leader and the graphics leader for a while, that's all it has going for it. Not good enough, says neckbeard.

So every Xbox successor will break. Sony will abandon their PlayStation brand. And Nintendo will rule the world. Why on earth would the Wii U be the best place to play multi-platform games? You should be an analyst, though I'm sure you're busy posting tens of thousands of times about how much you love your Wii. You're crazy.

In a year or two people will know where they stand. Whether the Wii U is a comparable alternative to the current two "multi-platform" consoles and is supported well by third-parties despite once again, being unconventional. Just seems weird to me personally. I don't think I want to play those games again (how many games gave Nintendo released with 64, DS or 3D in them that otherwise spell the name of an existing game?).

Still I'll give it a chance and if they manage to be more relevant this time I might buy one. Though there are so many hurdles to climb. Getting past the gimmicks and making innovative use of its features, third-party support and largely, having games that are on par with the 360 and PS3 without being the lesser versions for one reason or another, like handheld ports or the Wii.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By time allen
    @Crash_Happy said:

Underpowered and gimmicky?

in comparison to kinect and move? nope
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ryanwho

They've said multiple times it runs native 1080p. So you were processing at half capacity dude. Watch the conference again and take notes this time.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Marcsman

I smell failure and bacon.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By ch13696
    @Hizang said:
    @Crash_Happy: Yes, I don't see why Nintendo didn''t go further than the graphical power of the current consoles, because we all know that the PS4/Xbox720 will, which will leave Nintendo yet again by themselves. 
    Because I'm sure Nintendo wants to keep this console priced at (just guessing) $300. If they add in any better CPU's or GPU's then they'll have to raise the price.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By BraveToaster

We won't know until the next two consoles are released.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Riddell
    @ryanwho said:

@Riddell said:

Its made for both people. This isn't rocket science. Just like you still think the xbox is HARDXCORE when all they give a shit about anymore is reaching the larger casual audience. There is no "real" gamer console, every console wants to hit every market. Some are more successful than other. Sony completely failing to appeal to the casual doesn't make them the most hardcore.

I agree that Nintendo are trying to reach both audiences but will the compromise not make the platform irrelevant? 

The "hardcore" fans will already have a PC, PS3 or 360 and will have no reason to buy a WiiU and the casual fans already own a Wii and won't see any reason to spend premium price for a console that they will play causally. Again, I don't see who the WiiU appeals to? Upper class parents/grandparents with a lot of disposable income but who don't consider themselves gamers.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SlasherMan
    @ryanwho said:
    They've said multiple times it runs native 1080p. So you were processing at half capacity dude. Watch the conference again and take notes this time.
    Didn't Sony also make that claim back in 06 about the PS3? Yet in truth, the games were all upscaled from 720 and lower (save for the technically modest arcade games).

PR talk is just that. Sometimes, it borders on blatant lying even.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Franstone
    @Hizang said:

@Crash_Happy: Yes, I don't see why Nintendo didn''t go further than the graphical power of the current consoles, because we all know that the PS4/Xbox720 will, which will leave Nintendo yet again by themselves. 

Nintendo is probably trying to stick with the model of actually making money off the hardware, which could eventually bite them in the ass.
    But it is Nintendo, this is what they do and survive every time.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By imsh_pl

People had the exact same doubts when the Wii was announced.

cexantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By cexantus

What I learned from this thread is:
    Gimmick - something that is new and different; therefore, it's stupid and dumb because change scares me. 

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DrBendo
    @Majkiboy said:
    No, I mean absolute, objective gaming. If I were talking about my opinion, I would have said something like "...from my perspective.".

They have some third-party interest near launch, but so did the Wii. The question is whether they'll be able to sustain that interest. That they still insist on limiting their console to novelty and gimmicks will probably stand in the way of strong third-party support and/or competitive inclusion on multi-platform games. I think that these problems would be alleviated if Nintendo had their novelty controller and a more traditional controller. They eschew traditional gaming, and they seem opposed to the notion that they can serve both the traditional and the casual audiences. 

Sales aren't relevant to my post. There are multiple ways of looking at competition. I suspect that the machine will sell, but that doesn't say much of competitive software. The Wii competes with the current-gen consoles in the way that vans compete with coupes, indie flicks compete with sitcoms, and opera competes with rap. They're in the same category, and there's overlap in the market, but they're too different for much direct competition. I suspect that there are relatively few serious gamers who own only a Wii and have significant interest in the other consoles. Wii sales don't necessarily come at the cost of 360 and PS3 sales and vice versa. On the software front, between the Wii's shitty attach rate, inferior power, niche audience, and novelty controls, major titles rarely release on the system, let alone sell well. I can't think of any multi-platform titles for which the Wii version was superior or even comparable. Uncharted competes with Gears of War, Killzone with Halo, Forza with GT. Nintendo stay off to the side doing its own thing. I don't see them as competing any more than Iphones do; they have a presence and some influence, but they're not in the same league.

Microsoft and Sony, as well as their respective development teams, need to keep tabs on each other. The actions of one often have direct consequences on the other. PS3 seeks its "Halo killer" while the 360 tries to match Uncharted 2. Nintendo has certainly had its influence (despite bullshitty claims of "theft" of motion controls), but it's not much of a rival and poses little threat. Likewise, the best selling, cutting edge games do little to harm Nintendo. They'll keep plugging away at copy/pasting Zelda no matter what happens with Call of Duty. When I suggest that Nintendo's new effort might not compete with this generation, I'm not saying that it will fail financially; I'm questioning whether it will have the ability, or even intent, to win over the traditional gamers and franchises at the expense of existing consoles. 

@Raineko
    I disagree on the N64. Its reach exceeded its grasp, and damned near everything released on the platform was ugly as fuck. It may have had decent specs, but that means little if they're never used well. The Gamecube, on the other hand, was a fucking mule. It was short-changed on the library, and a lot of the games were uninspired. It was, however, more than capable. It had its Mario ilk and shovelware, but developers who wanted to make a technologically advanced game had the option to do so. RE4 was far better (technically) on the Gamecube, and it's a shame that more developers didn't take advantage of the console's power.

The controller was still shit. While by no means as awful as the N64, Wii, or U options, the Gamecube controller was no gem. Like so many of Nintendo's efforts, it was different for the sake of being different. Fuck convenient button layout, let's screw with proportion. Fuck triggers that allow for quick motions, lets concave the surface to block in fingers. Fuck smooth camera motion, let's put the analog stick in a polygon. Fuck comfort, let's reduce the stick to a nub. Luckily, there were third-party controllers that realized practicality was better than kooky bullshit.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Contro
    @Hizang

Sorry, but this is one of the dumbest topics I've seen on this site, which is saying something.  

Your asking:   

How does spec unknown "A" (GPU & CPU remain unknown), compare with "B" and "C", when firstly nobody knows what "B" and "C" specifications are, and we also don't know what direction they will take as a result of moves by others. 

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By paradox121
    @cexantus said:

What I learned from this thread is: Gimmick - something that is new and different; therefore, it's stupid and dumb because change scares me. 

Indeed. A gimmick is a quirk that adds nothing but unnecessary effort to gameplay. Look at something like the sixaxis; it was poorly implemented, and used to turn 'turn slightly' or 'open doors'. With the WiiU, developers are actually show casing new and interesting ways to use this controller. But that's gimmicky.  The makers of Darksiders II have actively come out and said the hardware is more powerful than current generations. But surely it's underpowered? And, my favourite, people complained that the trailer reel of games looked worse than current HD systems. Even though it was the 360/PS3 trailers. 

Arguably, Microsoft and Sony are both at a point where releasing a more powerful console won't fly. Look at the 360; it was only after they added on the 'casual friendly' Kinect that sales started picking up, and Sony tried (and somewhat failed) with the Move. Dudebros will buy a PS4 that is more graphically capable, no question. But casuals won't touch it. When the new generation is released, kids will ask to get a HD console, parents will go into shops, see the Wii name or see the cheapest console, and get that. Anyone who doesn't think Microsoft will release a 'family friendly' home media device with a massive focus on Kinect style interaction, while Sony pushes graphics but tacks on some extra feature are severely misguided. Purely upping the horsepower no longer flies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.