Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

If you can only use one tablet controller on WiiU, do you care?

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpudBug

Personally I think any tech is going to have a hard time streaming a lagless display to more than one device. Remember how bad the PS3/PSP remote play feature was even when in the same room as the PS3, and that this device has a much higher resolution, I just don't think streaming full gameplay video to more than one device is feasible. At least without a lot of lag or dropping frames.

I think most WiiU games are going to use the remote or classic controller pro for local multiplayer (which i think is an AWESOME controller btw) or be designed for one Tablet Controller player and the other players use remotes or classic controllers.

Then again peter moore did mention using it for playcalling in madden and stuff so maybe it will work to have 2-4 tablet controllers connected if the display isn't a full gameplay feed, just some interactive/static menu screens. I still don't see anyone buying multiple tablet controllers. They'll probably be $75 or more.

I've seen a lot of complaining about only one tablet per console, what does GiantBomb think?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Me personally, not really, but the Wii is meant for casual multiplayer, so to not have the ability to run with two controllers in this day and age sounds retarded.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By BonOrbitz

I can see there being a lot of fighting among kids who are restricted to taking turns with the tablet, but that's not why I hope it can run at least two tablets. I'm hoping it'll run multiple tablets just fine with just a reduction to tablet image quality.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeF

@LiquidPrince said:

Me personally, not really, but the Wii is meant for casual multiplayer, so to not have the ability to run with two controllers in this day and age sounds retarded.

except that you can. you just don't need the controller with a second screen. that's why classic controllers/wii remote+nunchuck are compatible.

wanna play shooter XY co-op? have one Wii U controller and a Classic Controller Pro ready. maybe they're even gonna upgrade the CCPro to include rumble at some point.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By thebatmobile

It's too early to tell if I care about the Wii U.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob

No, I don't care. 
    Because I don't care about the Wii U as a whole.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

@thebatmobile said:

It's too early to tell if I care about the Wii U.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

It took me 3 years to buy a second Wii remote because of the price. I'd imagine these things aren't going to come much cheaper than the price of many existing consoles after price drops.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By time allen
    @Anwar said:

@MysteriousBob said:

No, I don't care. Because I don't care about the Wii U as a whole.
    yup those fifteen seconds were enough to decide
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By time allen
    @Anwar said:

@Toms115 said:

@Anwar said:

@MysteriousBob said:

yes, they were enough to decide that I don't care.

smart
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Toms115 said:
    @Anwar said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Its been fifteen seconds since the reveal? Damn, I must have stumbled into another wormhole. I wish I had made a note of the winning lottery numbers.
    Shadowjester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shadowjester

At this point I don't care. at my house I rarely get out the second controller, much less the 3rd or 4th controllers, on my systems. I am kinda resigned to the fact that local multi-player is kinda a thing of the past. Most games only allow 2 player split screen online. (except for halo I guess)   
    As long as the Wii U is used in a way that is intuitive and adds to the game play. I don't mind if its only a 1 player enhancement. 

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blueduck
    @Toms115 said:
    @Anwar said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Enough to decide I don't want a Wii featuring tablet add-on. 
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By nintendoeats

If I thought that the WiiU was a good idea as a gaming device, I would still HOPE that it only supported one controller. Because then games would be designed so that I didn't need to spend massive amounts of money to play local multiplayer.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpudBug

Well i see it didn't take long for this to turn into a "hurr don't care but care enough to post so people react to my posts" thing.

The assumption is that you're interested in the console, but do you care about the console only being able to use one tablet controller at a time, or do you think it'll be able to use multiple? Nintendo hasn't really clearly said one way or the other.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By BraveToaster

The tablet controller should have been multi-touch. With the multi-touch capability, they could release multiplayer games that allow 2 people to play split screen with the old Wii controllers. The Wii U controller could act a the equipment interface, allowing for more than one person to access it.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By time allen
    @MysteriousBob said:
    @Toms115 said:
    @Anwar said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Its been fifteen seconds since the reveal? Damn, I must have stumbled into another wormhole. I wish I had made a note of the winning lottery numbers.
    funny guy
    disgustoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By disgustoid

I'm going to venture a wild guess and assume that the console will only be able to support multiple tablets being used in the same session for a limited number of games (e.g., something not GPU or CPU intensive, like selecting plays in Madden).

Considering how lousy the PS3/PSP remote play was, I can't imagine the WiiU will be able to do it better considering it's supposed to be only a bit more powerful than the PS3 or 360.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpudBug

The limitation with the PS3/PSP remote play was bandwidth. The video connection was laggy and stuttering a lot. I imagine if it was the focus of the system rather than a side feature it should be done well

How many of you stream HD video from your computer to your PS3/360 via wi-fi? The issue isnt' quality or bandwidth, it's latency. Also that tablet surely doesn't have the processing/decoding power of a 360 to receive video, that's going to affect lag also.

It makes me think though that if it could stream a 720p signal why not just break that up into four segments that each tablet displays a quarter of? I don't see why that shouldn't be possible. All receive the same video feed, just display a quarter of it at a lower quality.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead

Not being able to do multiplayer with separate tablets greatly diminishes potential interest in the platform.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It's an interesting decision, but it doesn't really bother me personally since I typically play by myself. Also, it has Wii controller support, and I have a Wii and controllers, so... I don't see it being a big problem.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

@DeF said:

@LiquidPrince said:

except that you can. you just don't need the controller with a second screen. that's why classic controllers/wii remote+nunchuck are compatible.

wanna play shooter XY co-op? have one Wii U controller and a Classic Controller Pro ready. maybe they're even gonna upgrade the CCPro to include rumble at some point.

Except the whole cool thing about the Wii U is the controller with the screen.

coolwhip83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coolwhip83

I only need one anyway hah! Ow :(

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Marz

No because i don't play co-op with other people in the same house.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DeF

@LiquidPrince said:

@DeF said:

@LiquidPrince said:

Except the whole cool thing about the Wii U is the controller with the screen.

which is not necessarily essential for your standard co-op games.

also, the Nintendo rep that said they wouldn't sell the controller separately apparently was jumping the gun since Nintendo came out and said "we have not announced whether or not we're gonna sell this thing separately".

so anything's still possible.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Meh... Aslong as I can play online :>

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Seraphim84

As successor to the Wiimote, can we call it the WiiUmote?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.