I'm not worried about one Wii U controller per system, here's why

Posted by Thusian (73 posts) -

A lot of hubub has come about since the announcement that Nintendo does not plan to sell separate Wii U controllers.  Many, including the writers on this site belive that means that the promise of the system won't come to pass.  I expect that smart developers will have options in place to make this a non issue.  I can off the top of my head think of several easy options to provide players: 

1. Have a two player setup where, if competing one player sits with their back to the TV.  Not possible in all household configurations.
  2. You pass the screen controller around and play on classic controllers or Wii remotes and nunchucks.  This would take away the time sensitivity in a situation like picking plays, but it would be a conciet.  For card games it would be a bummer to not be able to plan ahead, but it does allow you to hold back your hand.
  3. Households with DS systems can use download play to suplement the main screen controller.  This would not be capable of handling full game streams, but could handle Uno cards and play picking. If my DS can download an Okamiden Demo I am sure it can handle this.  At this point it even becomes a trojan horse to sell their handheld.
I would imagine placing those options in the SDK by Nintendo so that developers can offer all three in their games.  Housholds with DS systems get the best deal, but  developers don't have to count on a DS being in the room to implement a variation of the multi-screen play style.  I have also read that it can support multiple controllers if even if they don't plan to sell them seperately . Again the key for them is to offer options, if your pal brings thier pad over, let them sync it up, if they have a DS or 3DS let them use that, again even Nintendo is thinking along these lines  . 

I realy think they want to empower us with what they want, but are scared of what they ran into with GBA connectivity and the costs associated with that, but if we have enough options through, hot swap, 3DS and another owner's pad we should be safe.  

I personally think they are most scared of hater math

Before anyone who reads this blog challenges me, I openly love Nintendo stuff, recognize the warts, but am nontheless a fan.
#1 Posted by Thusian (73 posts) -

A lot of hubub has come about since the announcement that Nintendo does not plan to sell separate Wii U controllers.  Many, including the writers on this site belive that means that the promise of the system won't come to pass.  I expect that smart developers will have options in place to make this a non issue.  I can off the top of my head think of several easy options to provide players: 

1. Have a two player setup where, if competing one player sits with their back to the TV.  Not possible in all household configurations.
  2. You pass the screen controller around and play on classic controllers or Wii remotes and nunchucks.  This would take away the time sensitivity in a situation like picking plays, but it would be a conciet.  For card games it would be a bummer to not be able to plan ahead, but it does allow you to hold back your hand.
  3. Households with DS systems can use download play to suplement the main screen controller.  This would not be capable of handling full game streams, but could handle Uno cards and play picking. If my DS can download an Okamiden Demo I am sure it can handle this.  At this point it even becomes a trojan horse to sell their handheld.
I would imagine placing those options in the SDK by Nintendo so that developers can offer all three in their games.  Housholds with DS systems get the best deal, but  developers don't have to count on a DS being in the room to implement a variation of the multi-screen play style.  I have also read that it can support multiple controllers if even if they don't plan to sell them seperately . Again the key for them is to offer options, if your pal brings thier pad over, let them sync it up, if they have a DS or 3DS let them use that, again even Nintendo is thinking along these lines  . 

I realy think they want to empower us with what they want, but are scared of what they ran into with GBA connectivity and the costs associated with that, but if we have enough options through, hot swap, 3DS and another owner's pad we should be safe.  

I personally think they are most scared of hater math

Before anyone who reads this blog challenges me, I openly love Nintendo stuff, recognize the warts, but am nontheless a fan.
#2 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

The idea is that the tablet is only for single player games, which is why Reggie emphasized at the "U" part of the Wii U.

Multiplayer games will use normal Wii remotes, as seen on official pictures and on the E3 demos. The Wii U will still heavily use the Wii remote, it's just that the tablet will the single player experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.