In this weeks installment of: Oh god please don't be true, wii u

• 65 results
#1 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

It has been well known that the wii-u's name has been changed internally at Nintendo, because the wii brand confuses customers into thinking the wii u is not a successor. Some said it negatively impacted the 3ds's sales early on because people thought it was a new 'ds', so knowing that, and seeing this leaked image, I really hope this does not line up to being true. This either mockup or actual press photo hints at an even WORSE name than the wii u, tell me what you guys think, does this make too much sense?

EDIT: Seems that this is a fake picture, as many of you predicted. Looks like the name prediction train moves on.

#2 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

the name is simultaneously too dumb and not dumb enough to be real

#3 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Levio said:

the name is simultaneously too dumb and not dumb enough to be real

My thoughts exactly.

#4 Posted by ArcLyte (884 posts) -

I actually think its a better name. always hated the Wii name.

#5 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@ArcLyte said:

I actually think its a better name. always hated the Wii name.

"Gather round everybody, were gonna play some, ....gathr." Yeah, it sounds dumb, but wii u is so much worse.

#6 Edited by selbie (1882 posts) -

Do we even know if that is the final build of the console? I thought it was just a placeholder.

Either way I think Gathr is infinitely better than Wii U, mostly because it's one word and it means I don't ever have to say the word Wii ever again.

#7 Posted by TheHT (11128 posts) -

looks legit. no, it doesn't.

#8 Posted by Saethir (353 posts) -

I'm going to Gathr up all my Wiimotes and play some Pikmin.

That sentence makes me laugh. Wii U on the other hand gives me flashbacks of college. I would rather laugh.

Done.

#9 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2289 posts) -

Gathr your wiis

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

Hell, the Wii name worked. Why not Gathr?

#11 Posted by Slay3r1583 (606 posts) -

Gathr? Really? That is some dumb Web 2.0 bullshit right there.

#12 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Slay3r1583 said:

Gathr? Really? That is some dumb Web 2.0 bullshit right there.

Digg, Mog, Flickr, Spotify, pinterest, rdio, etsy, stickybits...... yep, it really is.

#13 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I feel like every time a console needs to be named, everyone is competing to make the worst name. Like, they HAVE to be trying. There's just no other explanation. And there's bonus points for missing/misused letters.

#14 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

My Wii is ready for some Gathrin

#15 Posted by pyromagnestir (4291 posts) -

I shall only refer to it as the Nintendo no matter what dumb name they give it.

#16 Posted by Zacagawea (1589 posts) -

I still think just calling it the Nintendo would be badass

#17 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Zacagawea said:

I still think just calling it the Nintendo would be badass

#18 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@Pinworm45 said:

I feel like every time a console needs to be named, everyone is competing to make the worst name. Like, they HAVE to be trying. There's just no other explanation. And there's bonus points for missing/misused letters.

Don't forget named peripherals! Kinect sodomizes the English language and Move is extremely dull.

#19 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

No gathr'n dust joke yet? Come on people, making me sad here.

#20 Posted by Animasta (14669 posts) -

They should really just contract sega to name their shit

#21 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

They should of named it the Super Nintendo Wii. Or, the Super Genesis 64 megadrive dream saturn station box cube boy colour advanced ds entertainment system 2600.

#22 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Here's my entry into the "most obnoxious console name" competition that clearly exists.

g@me

No capitol G, that implies pretension, this console is to "hip" to care about linguistic formalities.

The @ is a triple whammy - on the one hand, it's a computery key, so that implies it's cutting edge. It also means you play "at" it. you "game" at the "g@me". You also "Gat", which is new hip slang for GATHER together to play AT the GAME!

GAME AT the g@me!

I am fully convinced if one of them saw this, they would think it's incredible.

#23 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

To be honest, that "leaked" image is pretty easy to make. With how aliased that text is, I doubt it's real. I got the hot scoops.

#24 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

And what was wrong with just calling it Dreamcast 2, Nintendo? Come on!

#25 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian: lol love the homage to the gold skyward sword wiimote spectacle.

#26 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@WilltheMagicAsian said:

To be honest, that "leaked" image is pretty easy to make. With how aliased that text is, I doubt it's real. I got the hot scoops.

Now make one with a due rag and call it " Hom-ii" 
#27 Posted by LiquidPrince (15907 posts) -

Ew.

#28 Posted by Jolt92 (1551 posts) -

I really don't think they'll change the name. At all. If they do and it's named "gathr" they fucked up badly.

#29 Posted by Bribo (599 posts) -

Howzabout Nintendo Milky-discharge?

#30 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

They should of named it the Super Nintendo Wii. Or, the Super Genesis 64 megadrive dream saturn station box cube boy colour advanced ds entertainment system 2600.

@Pinworm45 said:

Here's my entry into the "most obnoxious console name" competition that clearly exists.

g@me

No capitol G, that implies pretension, this console is to "hip" to care about linguistic formalities.

The @ is a triple whammy - on the one hand, it's a computery key, so that implies it's cutting edge. It also means you play "at" it. you "game" at the "g@me". You also "Gat", which is new hip slang for GATHER together to play AT the GAME!

GAME AT the g@me!

I am fully convinced if one of them saw this, they would think it's incredible.

@LordAndrew said:

And what was wrong with just calling it Dreamcast 2, Nintendo? Come on!

@Bribo said:

Howzabout Nintendo Milky-discharge?

@BestUsernameEver:

Seriously, if they announce that the new name will be gathr I will eat my hat.

#31 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Just call it the NES, it will sell millions!

#32 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I would be okay with just Super Wii.

#33 Posted by Deusoma (3004 posts) -

I would love to see them change the name to the "Revolution", just to mess with us.

#34 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1611 posts) -

WiiWii.

#35 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

Please, for the love of god, someone speed time up so that E3 can get here and these idiotic rumors can either be verified or put to rest.

#36 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Gathr sounds more like gator than gather to me.

#37 Edited by Radar (887 posts) -

Sup bro? Wanna play some Gathr?

Obvious fake and sounds like an iOS/Android Farmville ripoff

#38 Posted by TheMasterDS (2046 posts) -

The obvious choice for a new name is the Super Wii or "Swii"

#39 Posted by thejke (92 posts) -

I wish that they would just call it "The Nintendo".

#40 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

WTF does it mean anyways?

#41 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

the "leaked" image doesn't look one bit real.

Nintendo has better designers than that.

#42 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

gathr?  easier just to call it WII 2

#43 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

Fucking christ lets just call it the "Nintendo Video Game Machine" and be done with it, all of these brand names are stupid.

#44 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

What!? Hahahaha how do you even pronounce that... oh man videogame related rumors are both fun and stupid.

#45 Posted by KaneRobot (1522 posts) -

The Wii is the worst name of all time for any major console. They could call this thing the Nintendo Shitonyourface and it would be a better name.

#46 Posted by Jay_Ray (1077 posts) -

Why can't it just be Wii 2? I mean the Wii has name recognition now and putting a 2 on the end just makes sense if they're afraid of Wii U not sounding like a successor. Damn these new age advertisers not just doing what makes sense.

#47 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

Just name it Nintendo Game. Then get Triple H to do all of the promotional stuff for it. EA would have a field day with it. Triple H comes out "I'M THE GAME AND IT'S IN THE GAME, ONLY ON THE GAME".

At least we could laugh with it and not at it.

#48 Posted by Bones8677 (3225 posts) -

Well I always hated the Wii-U name, so chances are any new name will probably be better for me at least.

#49 Posted by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

Name is the Wiitris.

#50 Posted by Deusoma (3004 posts) -
@jking47 said:

Fucking christ lets just call it the "Nintendo Video Game Machine" and be done with it, all of these brand names are stupid.

I was about to mock you without mercy, and then I realized they started with the "Nintendo Entertainment System". Huh. Maybe you're actually onto something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.