Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Is anyone else concerned about the WiiU not having analog sticks?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

At this point, I'm reasonably optimistic about the WiiU, but I can't help but think that the choice to include PSP/3DS/Vita-like nubs instead of actual joysticks will seriously inhibit the kinds of games this thing can play. I know Nintendo will probably make some great side scrollers in the vein of New Super Mario Bros that just use the D-Pad, but I'm kind of concerned about how ports from the other consoles will play, and even how the inevitable HD Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and Pikmin games will handle. Also, the button layout on the 360 and PS3 seem thoughtfully designed so that you can quickly switch back and forth between the buttons and the right joystick. That doesn't seem to be the case here, which makes me worried about how easy it will be to do something as simple as jumping in a first person shooter.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Didn't the layouts for the controllers of past systems see plenty of revisions before they came out?  I can't remember because it's been so long.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My bigger worry with the controller is whether it'll feel natural to be holding a tablet with both of your hands just grasped around two corners of it. As for the sticks, with the very brief time I've spent with the 3DS the slider feels pretty fluid on that thing but whether it'll work for full console games is a slightly different issue. I think before making my mind up on either of these I'll really need to hold one in my hands.

Avatar image for solarisdeschain
    solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By solarisdeschain

Well, the people who've played it tend to compare the circle pads to the nunchuck analog sticks, I don't think it'll be a big problem. As far the right analog stick, I see what you're saying, but the stick is right overtop of the buttons. Easy solution: Y= jump.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By dagas

It seems to have what looks like analog sticks above the D-pad and face buttons.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By guiseppe

It's so they can release another one with analog sticks and charge you for it again.

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By DrBendo
    But... But... There's a screen. And a camera. And bells, and whistles, and doo-dads! Who needs comfort and practical design when you have trinkets?

@Gamer_152

I believe there is a bar of sorts on the back that could help with stability.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Sooperspy

The thing that worries me more, is the fact that they have the analog nub above the buttons.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FreakAche
    @Redbullet685 said:
    The thing that worries me more, is the fact that they have the analog nub above the buttons.
    Yeah, I mentioned that in my post. That has me concerned, because it's going to make shooters hard to play. 
    @dagas said:

It seems to have what looks like analog sticks above the D-pad and face buttons.

They don't look like full analog sticks to me. They look kind of like the circle pad on the 3DS. Admittedly though, I haven't tried a 3DS yet, so I don't entirely know if that's a good or a bad thing.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kjellm87

Nah, I think it will be fine.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Wait, what? I was certain it did...

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

I'm sure classic controller will be able to be plugged in, they are making everything backward compatible it seems. if you don't want to play your third party shooters with a big ass tablet.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By alternate
    @guiseppe said:

It's so they can release another one with analog sticks and charge you for it again.

yup - I am almost certain they will release a "modern classic" controller for multi platform ports.  If they don't they know madcatz or someone will.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard
    @dagas said:

@TheGreatGuero said:
    Wait, what? I was certain it did...
    He means the fact they are PSP style "Slide Pads" and not traditional sticks. 

And in response to the OP, no, I don't think it will be a problem. The 3DS's Circle Pad is easily as competent as any Analogue Stick. Heck, I prefer it to Sony's sticks any day >.>
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By mikey87144

I'm skeptical about the controls. It's why the Wii isn't a good for hardcore games. Also how much is the controller going to cost and will it come with rechargeable batteries.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Chavtheworld: Well, I've never played with those kind of "nubs", so I don't know how well they work. However, considering the shape of the controller, I just get the feeling that real analog sticks would make the thing harder to hold. I want to have a good grip on that thing at all times.
    Avatar image for solarisdeschain
    solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By solarisdeschain
    @mikey87144 said:

I'm skeptical about the controls. It's why the Wii isn't a good for hardcore games. Also how much is the controller going to cost and will it come with rechargeable batteries.

Word is it will indeed come with rechargeable batteries.
    Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Grumbel

Hard to tell without having any first hands experience. The PSP style analog nub certainly sucks, but the 3DS is supposed to be much better (don't have first hand experience and nobody has in a dual-analog shooter) so no idea how the one on the WiiU will work. Given the size, price and target audience of the controller I doubt that they would butcher the analogsticks and replace them with something inferior when their isn't a good reason to (such as them not actually being inferior).  Analogsticks as they are now are nowhere near perfect and there are certainly ways to improve them, if the circle pad is a good way to do that, no idea. I personally would love to see a controller with an IBM TrackPoint for analogsticks.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Hizang

You ARE the analog stick!

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FreakAche
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@FreakAche said:

They don't look like full analog sticks to me. They look kind of like the circle pad on the 3DS. Admittedly though, I haven't tried a 3DS yet, so I don't entirely know if that's a good or a bad thing.

The 3DS circle pad is excellent, it feels very much like a proper analogue stick, nothing like that nasty PSP one.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Beaudacious

If you want to play shooters, play them on the current consoles. Don't buy a Wii U for shooters.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Bollard
    @TheGreatGuero: Ah, I'm a fan of the 3DS one at least, and the PSP wasn't bad. Also, personally I have no idea about how the controller feels but Jeff has already said its way nicer to use than it first appears.
    coolwhip83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coolwhip83

I only held a 3DS for a short amount of time. It felt fine to me, but we'll see. I don't think it's the best choice with the whole 'getting the Modern Warfare kids interested' thing in mind though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.