Is anyone else disappointed in the WiiU?

#1 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I am not one to trade my systems into retail. I'm not against it, it just goes against my own preferences, but the long and the short of it is that I received a deal were I can trade my WiiU for about 85% of what I paid for it. I literally started thinking of the possibility of having that money go towards an Xbox One. As I already have my PS4 pre-order in. This post is less about those systems and more so of the thought of how my WiiU has been a joke to me ever since I got it. I never play the games I have for it. I have the gamepad charging on its cradle in front of my laptop most of the day and I look at it in disdain nearly every time. I load up the system every once in a while, but never find any reason to do anything other than poking around a little while. I bought the Wii at launch and over the years grew to hate it. It had some incredible games on it that I thought were worth the price of admission, but I do feel the system overall I could have definitely done without. Now I am thinking the same thoughts with the WiiU and wondering if I want to put up with years of personal annoyance. I waited for E3 to give me some form of hope for my WIiU's future, but for me, nothing impressed. I sure hope the system turns out well in the long run for those who own one. I love Nintendo and I owe them a chunk of my youth. No one will ever take that away from them. However, as an adult, I look at their products now and I can't help but feel that I've moved on... does anyone else feel the same way?

Of course... all of this excluded the 3DS, which I love passionately. I'm just saying on a console level. I actually wonder sometimes if they jumped ship like Sega, if their image would improve (at least to me) over time.

#2 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Well, I was kinda prepared to be dissapointed with the Wii-U. My expectations were met, if that counts.

#3 Edited by Veiasma (194 posts) -

I completely regret the purchase. I can't even sell mine to any friends for cheap. No one wants it.

#4 Posted by RE_Player1 (7574 posts) -

@veiasma said:

I completely regret the purchase. I can't even sell mine to any friends for cheap. No one wants it.

I regret my purchase as well but I'm not going to sell it. There will be a couple great games that will only be on Wii U and I'll play them when they come out but right now the console is dust collector. I have no one to blame but myself for the idiotic purchase.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

No, because Fire Emblem.

#6 Posted by Nezza (377 posts) -

At this moment, I'd have to say yes.

I bought the system on potential of developers doing for a home console what they did with the DS. That is taking the hardware and doing something unique with it. As yet none of them have really done that, with the exception of Zombie U and Nintendoland - unless you count moving HUD elements. That potential is still there and I'm still hoping that it is just a slow burn like the 3DS is which is now a must-have system. But I think it is going to be well into 2014 before we see anything Nintendo's E3 offerings don't really appear to be anything that couldn't be put out on any other system.

What they are putting out is fantastic if you have bought the Wii U espeically for those franchises, but for users like myself who have bought primarily on the potential for new games that could not be made on other systems, it has so far been a very disappointing showing with not a lot on the horizon to get excited about.

#7 Edited by Rafaelfc (1417 posts) -

It is a stalemate, no one wants to develop for Wii U because it doesn't sell, and no one wants to buy it because there are no games for it... What a fickle market.

I hope Nintendo can turn the ship around, but I suspect they'll need a better kung fu than just the ambassador program all over again.

Still... I kinda wanna get a Wii U

#8 Edited by Zidd (1857 posts) -

Its the best YouTube player I own.

#9 Posted by RudeCubes (145 posts) -

I dunno, most of the games shown at E3 looked good to me. Yeah, they were sequels, but that doesn't disqualify them for me. I loved 3D Land, excited for 3D World, especially after seeing they're not just sticking to plain platforming with that level where you're riding the big Yoshi-thing. I love when 2.5D platformers talk advantage of the .5, so DKC so was pretty cool. Wonderful 101? Hell yes I wanna play that, AND Pikmin, AND Sonic.

Wii U's had a bad start, but I feel like it's gonna get better from here. The games that are coming are safe, but they still look good to me.

#10 Posted by pompouspizza (292 posts) -

I'm extremely disappointed in the Wii U, I only payed for half of it, my girlfriend paid for the other half so I don't feel too bad about that. But I'm seriously considering selling it, every time I look at it, it makes me mad.

#11 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@pompouspizza said:

I'm extremely disappointed in the Wii U, I only payed for half of it, my girlfriend paid for the other half so I don't feel too bad about that. But I'm seriously considering selling it, every time I look at it, it makes me mad.

Hey, at least you're not at the point where everytime you look at your girlfriend you're reminded that you had to buy half of a WiiU. Yet.

#12 Posted by pompouspizza (292 posts) -
#13 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

Right now? Yes, I am disappointed. There's nothing on it that makes me play it. It seriously lack games. Nintendo better deliver because right now, the console's collectiong dust in my living room.

#14 Posted by Quarters (1816 posts) -

I feel like this is a trick question.

#15 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

@evilnights: At least you have someone who has half the blame. I know I own all the blame... and I live with that every day. lol

#16 Posted by masterpaperlink (1869 posts) -

why would you want a ps4 AND an xbox one?? There isn't a single good exclusive for either, its like buying the same system twice.

#17 Edited by Vonocourt (2160 posts) -

The Wonderful 101 and Rayman Legends...they'll come out someday. Then I can be happy.

#18 Edited by Sackmanjones (4785 posts) -

I actually traded mine in myself for almost the same price as I bought it, took a loss on some games but overall felt ok. It was a decision I did not make lightly but after long thought I just don't think Im a fan of Nintendos franchises anymore. Not to say they are bad by any means but the announcement of Windwaker (which I've never played) and Donkey Kong didnt get any excitement from me at all. Playing my first new super Mario brothers game was enjoyable but I never finished it. The only game I really enjoyed was Zombiu and why own a Nintendo console if you aren't a big fan of the first party stuff? I couldn't really even get into ocarina of time on my girlfriends 3ds so that's when I made the decision to trade it.

I still believe the console has some really cool things and that controller most definitely has potential to do something really cool. Buuuut overall, Nintendo is not where my heart lies anymore and I will be saving up for the Playstation 4 this fall

#19 Posted by pyromagnestir (4337 posts) -

No, because Fire Emblem.

X Shin Megami Tensei!

But then again, I don't own a Wii U, and likely won't for quite a while. But that's true for all the new consoles. I have neither the money nor the inclination to pick one up at launch, or post launch.

#20 Posted by Abendlaender (2867 posts) -

Yes, I'm disappointed because I don't own one yet. I want to buy the stupid thing cause I tend to enjoy Nintendo's games a lot, so give me some games I care about already Nintendo. The only game I am interested in (at the moment) is Rayman Legends and that's not an exclusive.

I am extremely disappointed with Mario 3D U or whatever it's called, have no interest in Mario Kart or Smash and as much as I loved Donkey Kong I'm not going to buy a system just to play 2D plattformers (cause DK + Rayman + NSMB U are the only games that are somewhat interesting to me atm). Nope, sorry no interest in Bayonetta or Pikmin or W101 but I swear to god I'm actually a Nintendo Fanboy! Give me a new Zelda, Metroid, X, a new IP (*gasp*), a real 3D Mario, a new Earthbound or Fire Emblem or F-Zero, I'm really not that picky (usually). If there are ~3 games I really care about I'm going to buy the stupid thing just for Nintendo games, for everything else I habe my PC. But until then...well...

#21 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3114 posts) -

Not in the least. Everything I've played on it... with the exception of Zombii U... has been pretty fantastic. Also it's gonna have a pretty goddamn good lineup when Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 and Smash Brothers come out. Also, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. I don't even know what that is but I have to have it.

I've been having a ton of fun with the thing. I will, most likely, continue to do so.

#22 Posted by masternater27 (918 posts) -

My expectations were low, so no. It'll be a great box for Nintendo games and it has taken over as my video streaming platform of choice

#23 Posted by Knives (711 posts) -

Yeah, but I didn't buy one. I probably won't until it's $199. It'll get a price cut in a few months.

#24 Edited by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Pretty disappointed and wish i didn't buy one really, and kind of bummed for future releases as its pretty much side scrolling platformers galore, and a HD remake of a old game that i don't need to play again just because its HD now, but i am not a Nintendo fan girl that has nostalgia for they're previous stuff since this is my first Nintendo Console so once you factor that out most of the games seem totally fine but nothing amazing to me.

I wish i waited for a bunch of games to release that i cared a bunch for, so i think i would of ended up maybe buying one anyway sometime down the line if i didn't at the start, and i do really want to have an excuse to turn it on and use it but there just isn't one right now, i just reconnected my WiiU thinking i might buy Mario bros on the E Shop but of course they have it listed for the silly price of 50 British pounds like every other crappy console digital marketplace so i turned it off again hoping it would have just been nice and convenient to go and download and play it then but no.

#25 Edited by oldenglishC (997 posts) -

My expectations were low, so no. It'll be a great box for Nintendo games and it has taken over as my video streaming platform of choice

Yuuup. It's my default Netflix and Giant Bomb box. Even WiiTiiVii, which I thought was a dumb idea, turned out to be a feature I use constantly.

They showed some interesting games during E3 and there are still some Wii games I need to play, so disappointment is still a ways off for me.

#26 Edited by Superkenon (1487 posts) -

I'll have one by the time Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei is out. Or Smash Bros..

Whichever comes first.

#27 Posted by afabs515 (1264 posts) -

Nope. It's doing exactly as poorly as I thought it was gonna when they released the specs on it. Also, watching third party developers come out and say it isn't good is still entertaining to me.

#28 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

@masterpaperlink: The reason being that I know that there will be good exclusives and good games that interest me on those consoles eventually. At least the prospect is very high. The chances of that with Nintendo is getting smaller and smaller over time for me.

#29 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

I have a Wii U and I'm enjoying it. I can see why people are disappointed with it though. Not a lot of "must" have games right now for it. There will be some solid games by the end of the year and next year for sure. Like every console ever made, gotta wait for the good games.

#30 Posted by Hunter5024 (5909 posts) -

I never expected it to be more than a first party Nintendo box, because they haven't made a console attractive to 3rd parties since the N64. So no, my expectations are pretty much being met.

#31 Edited by masterpaperlink (1869 posts) -

@masterpaperlink: The reason being that I know that there will be good exclusives and good games that interest me on those consoles eventually. At least the prospect is very high. The chances of that with Nintendo is getting smaller and smaller over time for me.

yh i see, i was talking mostly about the immediate situation. Though if i already had a ps4 the only reason i would get a XBO would be for the exclusives, for now it seems the wiiu has the strongest exclusive lineup (X and smash alone). Historically, Nintendo has always had a solid list of exclusives where the xbox had halo and gears.

Though, if a new smash bros, zelda or mario does nothing for you then, quick, throw that thing away while you can.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.