Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Is the pro controller worth it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Poll Is the pro controller worth it? (39 votes)

Yeah! 90%
    No way dude! 8%

With the recent release of Mario Kart and the upcoming release of Smash Bros I'm starting to wonder if now is the time to finally invest in a pro controller. Sure there are other games that make use of the controller but my real interest in it lies with online multiplayer gaming due the extended battery, comfort of use and the potential to gain a slight advantage in competitive multiplayer.

So Wii U owners is pro controller finally worthy of it's price tag?

• 
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By MEATBALL

I rarely use it, so I don't know if it's really worth getting or not. Though I did like it for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and it's certainly handy for those occasions when playing something multiplayer. I'll probably be pretty happy to have it when Smash Bros rolls around.

It's a great controller for what it's worth.

Robiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Robiin

It's one of the best controllers ever, just fits in your hand perfectly. It takes a while to get used to the second stick being above the face buttons, but that's the same as the gamepad as well.

It's certainly been worth it to me, especially with the monster battery that's inside. I've had it for a year, charged it once or twice, it lasts forever (like 80 hours per charge). So if your'e playing long sessions, it's perfect, especially compared to the gamepad which needs to be charge in the middle of a long play session.. I played the first four or five hours of Zelda with the gamepad, and the battery died (from fully charged). I then switched to the Pro controller, and I completed the game (over multiple sessions) without charging it once.

Just so you know, if you only intend to use it for smash, you could wait and buy the Gamecube controller and adapter that they'll make for it instead. But I'm sure the pro controller will also work fine for that game.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For me it makes the console. Before I bought my PS4 it was by far my favorite controller compared to anything else, and I have not played a single game on my Wii U without it. The few times I tried playing with the gamepad it only made me think that if it wasn't for the Pro controller I would've probably regretted my console purchase. So ye, not only is it a great controller, but compared to the alternative it's pretty much a must-have in my book.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Way better than a Classic Controller Pro with a Wii Remote hanging from it.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Wii U Controller question: If I want to play a Wii game on the Wii U, do I need a Wii Mote and Nunchuck? Or can I use a pro controller or tablet controller?

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@lukeweizer: You need a wiimote to even get into the wii menu (it basically reboots into wii mode, separate eshop etc)

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Honestly, it comes down to what sorts of games you play. If you are playing a bunch of multiplayer stuff in there, you're gonna want a Wiimote or two, the pad and maybe one of these. It opens up local coop if you don't have enough wiimotes and it gives you an alternate way to play if you don't wanna hold that fat ass screen all the time.

I say worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.