Is the Wii U worth it?

Posted by NTM (7519 posts) 7 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Is the Wii U worth it? (149 votes)

YES YES YES! :D Get it. 52%
It will be at some point, but not right now, no. 28%
Eh, no. I don't see it being worth it in the future either. 21%

I'm just asking. I'll probably get one at some point, but not right now, though I am wondering when I think it'll be worth it... I mean, will I think it'll be worth it when a Zelda comes out, a Metroid? I don't know. As it gets further into the console cycle for the Wii U, I keep feeling like no, it's not enough, even though it had initially been.

#1 Edited by TruthTellah (9420 posts) -

@ntm That's really up to you. It isn't just a binary situation. I know people that are happy with having a Wii U and some that aren't. It's all a matter of what you're wanting out of it.

I'd say the Wii U seems to be in a good spot right now, and if you are interested in some of its games, I see little reason for you not to get one. Have you enjoyed a lot of Nintendo games in the past? Have you never really gotten into their games? Anything on the horizon that interests you?

Regardless of the system's merits, it's all about the games, and whether access to those games is worth it to you is up to you and your own personal preferences. Seems like a fine console to me, but it all depends on what you want out of it and the value you put on that.

#2 Edited by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

I think it's worth it. It has some solid games out for it now and more to come. Also it's the only backwards compatible next gen system so you can also go back and play some of the great games that came out for Wii.

As for a new Metroid, you never know.

#3 Edited by RazielCuts (2982 posts) -

At some point I imagine, it's racking up a few exclusives I'd like to play at some point (or maybe by then it'll have been too long who knows). Also the backwards compatibility for some games I let go stale on the Wii is also a benefit.

I know Nintendo have kinda opted out of E3 now but hopefully around then they'll have a Direct with a few announcements, I've never been a Smash fan (although cool in concept) and Mario Kart is fine but okay another one of those. I guess we'll see more of the Xenoblade game? Dynasty Zelda Warriors won't do it for me.

#4 Edited by NTM (7519 posts) -

@truthtellah: I wasn't really asking about it in terms of "do you think I should get it or not?", because I already know my answer. I was just asking because I was curious as to how people felt about it currently and more so what they thought about it.

#5 Posted by PSNgamesun (412 posts) -

It has some solid titles and more to come as well as the best internet browser on any current gen system. Seriously I've used the wiiu more for couchtuner than actual games but that doesn't take away from its good games like DK,Mario, and Pikmin.

#6 Posted by Fattony12000 (7594 posts) -

We've got one. It's nice.

#7 Posted by codenamelenny (15 posts) -

I'm really enjoying mine.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3d world
Pikmin 3
New Super Mario Bros. U/Luigi U
ZombiU
NES Remix
Wonderful 101
Mario Kart 8 (next month)

If you want to play most of these games then I would say yes it would be worth it otherwise wait.

#8 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

Do you like Nintendo games and IPs? If yes yeah buy it if not stay away.

#9 Posted by Jesus_Phish (1085 posts) -

I was excited about the idea of getting one when I first saw the trailer for X. Then I saw the combat for X and now I'm not so sure.

#10 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

I was excited about the idea of getting one when I first saw the trailer for X. Then I saw the combat for X and now I'm not so sure.

I really want to see SP gameplay and a story trailer before I make my decision about this game^^

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11448 posts) -

If I had more money, I'd probably get one right now, not so much for the games it already has, but for the promise of more Nintendo games in the future. But I don't have tons of money to spend on things like that, so I'm waiting.

#12 Posted by Jesus_Phish (1085 posts) -

@darji: That's also the other factor. If it's kinda just an online only game with no offline mode, I'm not sure how much faith I have in it staying online for long on a system which has had less of an impact than the Dreamcast.

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5902 posts) -

I felt like it was worth it after I played 3d World personally.

#14 Posted by GunstarRed (5400 posts) -

As someone that loves the Wii U...

Kinda?

#15 Posted by FrankNelson (56 posts) -

I enjoy mine. This is the first Nintendo system I've purchased since the Game Cube. If you are looking for a XBox 360 experience in terms of game selection or online services you will be disappointed. The main controller that comes with the system is something I feel turn most people off to the system. It feels quite nice in the hands and when games take advantage of the second screen it makes game play more enjoyable in my opinion. The Wii U Pro controller is something that is over looked. It might be one of my favorite controllers of all time. Its super comfortable and I've charged it three times since Feb 2013. I got the machine to play Nintendo games and maybe the occasional third party game, so I am getting what I want out of it. Nintendo was selling some refurbished deluxe models for $199 USD if you did not want to pay full price.

The games I own are as follows:

NintendoLand

Resident Evil Revelations

Wii Party U

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

New Super Mario Bros. U / Luigi U

Rayman Legends

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games

Call of Duty Black Ops II

Lego City Undercover

NES Remix

Wind Waker HD

Super Mario 3D World

Wii U Sports (Golf, Bowling, and Tennis)

Zin Pinball 2

... and several VC titles

#16 Posted by ElixirBronze (441 posts) -

I probably use my Wii U more than any other machines in the house... Mostly Netflix and Twitch streams thoguh since, you can watch streams on the TV while using the web browser on the controller at the same time, wich is handy.

#17 Posted by BradBrains (1143 posts) -

with some good first party stuff and virtual console the wii u is a fine secondary console. go for it.

#18 Posted by NTM (7519 posts) -

Bump. As I haven't got it yet, and want to know what people think now. My brother has said he wants it now, and I've been thinking about it. I may want to buy it today. What's everyone's opinion on this now? Is it time to jump on?

#19 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4738 posts) -

@ntm: I think so. They have a small, but incredibly solid library already and the next year or so looks like it's only going to get better and better.

#20 Edited by Fattony12000 (7594 posts) -
#21 Edited by NTM (7519 posts) -

Do you have to connect the Wii sensor bar for any of it, other than going back to the Wii games? I mean, I know you have to or can use the Wii motes for co-op, but do you need the sensor bar for it? I really don't want to have it in. This isn't a make or break thing, I'm just curious.

#22 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (368 posts) -

@ntm: Aside from some of the Nintendoland multiplayer things I don't think it requires the sensor bar for anything. As of a semi-recent update you can actually point a Wiimote at the gamepad to navigate in Wii mode since the gamepad basically has a built in sensor bar.

I love my Wii U. I'm just about to finish Wind Waker, my girlfriend's been plugging away at Link to the Past thanks to the Virtual Console, and I've played most of the Nintendo-exclusive games that have come out for it. Also, ZombiU is a fucking trip and should totally be experienced.

#23 Posted by Fuzzy_Dunlop (225 posts) -

I have one. It's OK. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're really into the first party IPs.

#24 Posted by Fredddi43 (352 posts) -

I have one and I voted no, not even in the future. Haven't turned the thing on since playing Funky Barn at launch, and there's nothing announced that could even remotely peek my interest.

#25 Edited by NTM (7519 posts) -

Does the console support 5.1 Dolby Digital, like the 360/PS3, and now the One and PS4? I've been looking into it just now, and I can't really get a straight answer, or at least I'm not sure I get it. I do HDMI from consoles to TV, and optical from TV to receiver, which is the only way I can get 5.1 surround sound DD. I'm just hoping it has that, that is actually a big problem if the console doesn't...

#26 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

@ntm said:

Does the console support 5.1 Dolby Digital, like the 360/PS3, and now the One and PS4? I've been looking into it just now, and I can't really get a straight answer, or at least I'm not sure I get it. I do HDMI from consoles to TV, and optical from TV to receiver, which is the only way I can get 5.1 surround sound DD. I'm just hoping it has that, that is actually a big problem if the console doesn't...

According to Nintendo's support website, the Wii U currently only supports six-channel PCM audio output for surround sound. Wii games played in backwards compatible Wii Mode can be played using Dolby Pro Logic II.

#27 Posted by altairre (1246 posts) -

I'm nearly done with Wonderful 101 and I consider it to be one of the best games of last (this?) generation. Tropical Freeze is one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played and I really enjoyed what I've played of Windwaker HD so far (didn't play it when it first came out). Bayo 2 will be out soon, which is probably my most anticipated game at this point besides Witcher and Dragon Age. That being said it really depends on how much these games do for you. At this point I spent more time playing WiiU than PS4 and I got both consoles around the same time.

#28 Posted by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -

Not for my tastes.

It has an interesting gem or two but even the best games seem to have better and/or bigger and/or deeper and/or more polished analogs elsewhere.

#29 Edited by Corevi (4420 posts) -

Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

#30 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2587 posts) -

Once the new Zelda comes out and it's got a more comprehensive backlog it'll be worth it. Then again, I bought my PS4 pretty much just to be part of launch hype and eventually play Infamous Second Son, so who knows?

#31 Posted by MATATAT (384 posts) -

I use my Wii U pretty extensively actually, but I'm not sure if I would always recommend it. I have it set up in my room currently where I use the gamepad in bed to play games (GB-esque). I transfer it over to my living room TV when I'm playing coop as well. The Wii U is one of the better consoles for coop since most games (first party at least) support a good couch coop. But if you have a friend who has one, or of course the games don't seem appealing, then I would say probably not get one.

#32 Posted by fisk0 (4404 posts) -

It's pretty much the only of the current consoles that actually has any games. It's also the only one with backwards compatibility, increasing the library by thousands of titles.

#33 Edited by UltorOscariot (212 posts) -

That is a complicated question. One that requires probably some introspection on the part of the consumer.

1. Does the idea of probably the best Mario Kart they've made in years getting DLC support and becoming the first one in excess of 32 tracks, some derived from Nintendo IP like Animal Crossing, Excite Bike, and F-Zero do anything for you at all?
  2. Are you not burned out on that are colorful platformers, both of the 2-D(primarily) and 3-D variety that are fairly challenging, and for the foreseeable future content with only about 1-4 of them?
  3. Did ZombiU look interesting to you?
  4. Did that new Zelda look like a thing you'd want to play in 2016 despite any insane statement that says it would be in 2015?
  5. Got any good feelings about Pikmin and are not expecting a particularly long single player experience?
  6. Are you okay with buying a Pro Controller? Because that game pad battery is atrocious.
  7. Are you comfortable with knowing that holiday 2014's flagship titles are Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, and Super Smash Bros?
  8. Are you comfortable buying a system that for all intents and purposes has been abandoned by all other major publishers, and buying besides maybe a pair of Ubisoft titles and whatever you grab off Virtual console, literally only first and second party titles published by Nintendo?

If you're not able to answer most of those questions with at least a qualified yes, I'd say no, its probably not, and even if you did, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to wait for a price cut or bundle.

#34 Edited by NTM (7519 posts) -

@hailinel: That's weird... Thanks for the reply. I'm am going to just assume it does work, since I'm getting one on Friday, and if it doesn't, then I'll be disappointed. I guess since I have decided, I should say, thanks to everyone that took the time to post!

#35 Posted by gokaired (569 posts) -

Yes. and if you don't think so now, by the time X is out, it will be :D

#36 Edited by NTM (7519 posts) -

@gokaired: My last reply was about saying I was going to buy it on Friday :P. That's okay though, I don't expect people to read every comment. X is a game my brother really wants, I'm not as interested, though if it's like Xenoblade, it should be good. I saw the most recent trailer, and I wasn't really too keen on it. Something nice about Xenoblade was that it didn't look or sound blatantly Japanese like some other RPG's (Star Ocean... etc.), while X kind of did, but maybe in the end that won't matter, or it'll be different. I don't know. I suppose Xenoblade would look the same on the same hardware though.

#37 Posted by NTM (7519 posts) -

Just got the Wii U, and the update is going now on set up. I bought a Wii U Pro Controller with it, and five games, including the one that came with the console, so six in all, which is New Super Mario Bros. U (which also has the Luigi game in there), as it was the only version of console they had. Otherwise, I bought Deus Ex, Wind Waker, 3D World, Donkey Kong, and Monster Hunter. Yay, now I have all the current-gen consoles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.