Jim Sterling on Wii U

  • 79 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

This nut-job has made some valid points relating to how things may pan out this coming gen...

Thoughts?

Reggie Fils-Aime while speaking to Forbes has hinted more third-party exclusives are on the way.

Can you attract more of those big third party games to become Wii U exclusives?
Are there going to be Wii exclusive active gamer titles? Absolutely. We’ve announced a number already, with [Sega's] Bayonetta 2 and [Ubisoft's] Zombi U. I mean these are active gamer experiences that are exclusive to our platform. - Reggie Fils-Aime
#2 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Lesson we should've all learned years ago: Don't bet against Nintendo

#3 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

Have to say I agree.

#4 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

This fat jerk is the guy who gave AC2 4 out of 10? Jesus. I know I shouldn't judge, but goddammit.

Edit : This fat jerk is right.

#5 Edited by TruthTellah (8723 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Reggie Fils-Aime while speaking to Forbes has hinted more third-party exclusives are on the way.
Can you attract more of those big third party games to become Wii U exclusives?
Are there going to be Wii exclusive active gamer titles? Absolutely. We’ve announced a number already, with [Sega's] Bayonetta 2 and [Ubisoft's] Zombi U. I mean these are active gamer experiences that are exclusive to our platform. - Reggie Fils-Aime

Wait, that doesn't count. Nintendo buying up a game and producing it doesn't count as a third-party exclusive. ha. The game wouldn't have happened without Nintendo producing it. So, it's not like a third party developer is supporting the Wii U. A third party developer is being paid to make a game for the platform.

If Nintendo can be a producer on a ton of third party games, I suppose that might work. Though, that'd still be different from having people just come to the platform because they're excited about the platform.

#6 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@TeflonBilly said:

Lesson we should've all learned years ago: Don't bet against Nintendo

Sure, but it's not like they don't have their failures. Gamecube and N64 didn't exactly conquer the world.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

Poor Wii U.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

@Klei said:

This fat jerk is the guy who gave AC2 4 out of 10? Jesus. I know I shouldn't judge, but goddammit.

Edit : This fat jerk is right.

This fat jerk is so often a jerk it's baffling, but he's still sometimes agreeable.

Doesn't make me strongly dislike him any less.

#9 Edited by huser (1064 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

This nut-job has made some valid points relating to how things may pan out this coming gen...

Thoughts?

Reggie Fils-Aime while speaking to Forbes has hinted more third-party exclusives are on the way.

Can you attract more of those big third party games to become Wii U exclusives?
Are there going to be Wii exclusive active gamer titles? Absolutely. We’ve announced a number already, with [Sega's] Bayonetta 2 and [Ubisoft's] Zombi U. I mean these are active gamer experiences that are exclusive to our platform. - Reggie Fils-Aime

Eh, the dude went out of his way to talk out of both sides of his mouth regarding the 3DS. How (rightly) all the parallels with the DS couldn't be made in a vacuum in regards of it overcoming so many "obvious" obstacles to becoming a phenomenon, but still on the side of it failing. Well, here we are after an admittedly rocky start with the 3DS well on it's way to being a 100 million unit seller in this era the talking heads had said was dead to dedicated handhelds.

Basically, these commenters have the advantage of some experience and perspective, but if they ACTUALLY knew what was going to happen, they wouldn't be doing internet bits. They'd be rolling around in the many hundreds of millions of [insert currency] they'd made.

EDIT - And heck, even THOSE guys. The ones that have made their fortunes predicting these kinds of things using big boy cash, still haven't exactly punched a ticket to the Hall of Fame with their batting averages regarding Nintendo. So even if the WiiU collapses, and I think that's entirely possible, well a broken clocks right twice a day too.

#10 Edited by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Klei said:

This fat jerk is the guy who gave AC2 4 out of 10? Jesus. I know I shouldn't judge, but goddammit.

Edit : This fat jerk is right.

This fat jerk is so often a jerk it's baffling, but he's still sometimes agreeable.

Doesn't make me strongly dislike him any less.

I think the pompous asshole thing is just apart of his 'character', or at least I'd like to think so... He undoubtedly returns a little too often to the whole 'ridiculing stupid internet people' well, though. It's such an easy target these days to make yourself look 'intelligent' by comparison and it's mostly there as an excuse to act like a condescending wanker for the sake of his own ego. Regardless, his jimquisition videos do make some solid points. His video talking about the whole Anita Sarkeesian debacle was spot on.

#11 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (983 posts) -

I hope Nintendo has another success with this console... at least they try, which I can't say at moment about Sony Or MS.

#12 Posted by Daneian (1226 posts) -

Oh, its Rush Limbaugh

#13 Edited by cannonballBAM (601 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Lesson we should've all learned years ago: Don't bet against Nintendo

Sure, but it's not like they don't have their failures. Gamecube and N64 didn't exactly conquer the world.

I think the point missed is Nintendo as a whole. The success of the Playstation over the N64 was primarily due to its third party titles, something Nintendo experienced with the SNES. But the quality of games and not to mention the CAPCOM 5 titles for the Gamecube, made it a solid purchase.

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

I hope Nintendo has another success with this console... at least they try, which I can't say at moment about Sony Or MS.

The Wii has sold almost 97 million units, I hope that translates into a bigger install basis then just the "hardcore" audience.

#14 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

People still care what he says?

#15 Posted by The_Nubster (2090 posts) -

@Klei said:

This fat jerk is the guy who gave AC2 4 out of 10? Jesus. I know I shouldn't judge, but goddammit.

Edit : This fat jerk is right.

AC2 was popular, so he hated it.

Wii U is unpopular, so he loves it.

And both ways, he's still a jerk!

#16 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Both the N64 and Gamecube were great console, they both got special games that will live long in the memory of their owners, but the architecture of both made it too difficult for third parties running higher spec software, N64 was too alien for some, while Gamecube was too weakly powered to attract serious commitment.

#17 Posted by Nightriff (4979 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Lesson we should've all learned years ago: Don't bet against Nintendo

Sure, but it's not like they don't have their failures. Gamecube and N64 didn't exactly conquer the world.

While they didn't conquer the world they are 2 of my favorite consoles ever. And many people look back on N64 and say that was a great console, I think GC will be similar but not to the same extent. Even though the Wii is popular I don't think people will look back on it 10 years from now and go that was a great console, probably the opposite.

#18 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@Klei said:

This fat jerk is the guy who gave AC2 4 out of 10? Jesus. I know I shouldn't judge, but goddammit.

Edit : This fat jerk is right.

AC2 was popular, so he hated it.

Wii U is unpopular, so he loves it.

And both ways, he's still a jerk!

Wii U is so unpopular that it's sold out for preorder everywhere. No wonder it's so unpopular! No one can preorder a unit!

#19 Edited by cannonballBAM (601 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Both the N64 and Gamecube were great console, they both got special games that will live long in the memory of their owners, but the architecture of both made it too difficult for third parties running higher spec software, N64 was too alien for some, while Gamecube was too weakly powered to attract serious commitment.

I remember something about the N64 being a problem to program for because it forced all games to use 3D models and the Gamecube had better visual releases of the CAPCOM 5 games (being their only major 3rd party releases) compared to their PS2 successors. I believe it comes down to how a game is optimized and how much work is put into it.

edit: there is some information about the N64 hardware/limitations, here.

#20 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@cannonballBAM:

Games made from the ground up on the machine tended to be sound visually, a slew ports tended not to be.

#21 Posted by cannonballBAM (601 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: I think that runs the problem of people who refuse to dedicate money and time in different platforms. Bethesda is doing the same thing right now with the PS3.

#22 Posted by YOUNGLINK (544 posts) -

For some reason I enjoy Podtoid but that's as much Jim as I can take. Not to say he's not a good guy, but a little Sterling goes a long way. Btw, will hold all judgement on WiiU til I can actually touch one.

#23 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

He makes a lot of good points, but I still strongly dislike everything about the character he plays in videos. He's not funny, he's embarrassing.

#24 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Except won't those TVs be way more expensive than any console? And Sony doesn't even charge for that stuff.

And Sony doesn't focus on games? Since when? They have probably put out just as many good first party games as Nintendo this gen. All of his points seem more directed at Microsoft and he's just artificially trying to round it out. But Sony seems like a total unknown at this point as to what gimmick, if any, they will run with.

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Gamecube was too weakly powered to attract serious commitment.

GC was stronger than the PS2 and the Xbox was stronger than both. Ps2 got more games than GC which got more games than the Xbox. The order of commitment was the total opposite of system power.

#25 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@jozzy said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Lesson we should've all learned years ago: Don't bet against Nintendo

Sure, but it's not like they don't have their failures. Gamecube and N64 didn't exactly conquer the world.

While they didn't conquer the world they are 2 of my favorite consoles ever. And many people look back on N64 and say that was a great console, I think GC will be similar but not to the same extent. Even though the Wii is popular I don't think people will look back on it 10 years from now and go that was a great console, probably the opposite.

That might all be true, but I thought we were talking about the success of Nintendo in general. The Wii made them a ton more money.

#26 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

@CosmicQueso said:

@The_Nubster said:

@Klei said:

This fat jerk is the guy who gave AC2 4 out of 10? Jesus. I know I shouldn't judge, but goddammit.

Edit : This fat jerk is right.

AC2 was popular, so he hated it.

Wii U is unpopular, so he loves it.

And both ways, he's still a jerk!

Wii U is so unpopular that it's sold out for preorder everywhere. No wonder it's so unpopular! No one can preorder a unit!

Maybe they all pre-ordered the Wii U ironically.

#27 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@ExplodeMode:

The Gamecubes power was bottlenecked.

#28 Edited by Undeadpool (4921 posts) -

@TeflonBilly said:

Lesson we should've all learned years ago: Don't bet against Nintendo

This. I think it was Patrick who said something to the effect of "As enthusiast media turns its back on this thing more and more, we should probably start looking closer."

But yeah, Sterling's point of "It's going to actually be a GAME system, not an ENTERTAINMENT BOX is really well-founded and something I hadn't considered. I'm still holding off on buying one, but frankly how much DOES the general public care about a moderate graphical and engine increase? Enthusiast purchasers make up MAYBE 10% of the market, and that's being generous.

#29 Edited by Zella (728 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@Klei said:

This fat jerk is the guy who gave AC2 4 out of 10? Jesus. I know I shouldn't judge, but goddammit.

Edit : This fat jerk is right.

AC2 was popular, so he hated it.

Wii U is unpopular, so he loves it.

And both ways, he's still a jerk!

this this this

I hated Jim Sterling before watching this video and hated him still after watching the video. The whole game machine vs media center argument isn't that strong either. The best media center around, the PC, has some of the most finely developed games out there ranging from super casual games to the uber hardcore. There is also the fact that both Sony and Microsoft are not primarily gaming companies, they other products and divisions to build an ecosystem with while still maintaining a gaming division. Unlike Nintendo who is solely a gaming company, MS and Sony are creating products to go along with the rest of their goods.

#30 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Jim Sterling is full of shit. He goes to both extremes on about everything so when one of them turns out right he claim he was right.

#31 Posted by ProfessorEss (7309 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Can you attract more of those big third party games to become Wii U exclusives?
Are there going to be Wii exclusive active gamer titles? Absolutely. We’ve announced a number already, with [Sega's] Bayonetta 2 and [Ubisoft's] Zombi U. I mean these are active gamer experiences that are exclusive to our platform. - Reggie Fils-Aime

That's not hinting at more third-party exclusives as much as it's him repeating the names of the same two games they refer to every time someone asks about third-party co-operation.

If anything this constant repetition of "Bayonetta, Zombie-U, Bayonetta, Zombie U" worried me more than it convinces me.

#32 Posted by Nightriff (4979 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@Nightriff said:

@jozzy said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Lesson we should've all learned years ago: Don't bet against Nintendo

Sure, but it's not like they don't have their failures. Gamecube and N64 didn't exactly conquer the world.

While they didn't conquer the world they are 2 of my favorite consoles ever. And many people look back on N64 and say that was a great console, I think GC will be similar but not to the same extent. Even though the Wii is popular I don't think people will look back on it 10 years from now and go that was a great console, probably the opposite.

That might all be true, but I thought we were talking about the success of Nintendo in general. The Wii made them a ton more money.

Oh yes we are, I'm just defending my boys 64 and GC. The Wii was "successful" in that it sold a lot

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

Jim speaks the truth.

#34 Posted by ProfessorEss (7309 posts) -

@CosmicQueso said:

Wii U is so unpopular that it's sold out for preorder everywhere. No wonder it's so unpopular! No one can preorder a unit!

I'm not convinced that this isn't yet another false demand strategy.

#35 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

@ProfessorEss: Don't all launch consoles sell out initial shipments? I think even the 599 PS3 with it's awful launch line up sold out for a while. And I don't see why they wouldn't they when you can get a pre-order sell it on ebay for more than you paid. As long as this crap flies, console launches will always be bullshit.

#36 Posted by ProfessorEss (7309 posts) -

@ExplodeMode: I'm not saying it's a Nintendo strategy per se. If your product has enough hype surrounding it and you can create that "SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE!!" fever you can often create multiple sales for every sale you lose by holding back stock.

I can't say they're doing this, and I can say who's actually done it or when, but sometimes I can help but be suspicious.

#37 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -

It constantly baffles me how Nintendo consoles remain so successful despite the systems only having a handful of games people consider to be must plays and absolutely no dedication to 3rd party titles.

#38 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2135 posts) -

@ExplodeMode said:

@ProfessorEss: Don't all launch consoles sell out initial shipments? I think even the 599 PS3 with it's awful launch line up sold out for a while. And I don't see why they wouldn't they when you can get a pre-order sell it on ebay for more than you paid. As long as this crap flies, console launches will always be bullshit.

Exactly. People were trampled when the PS3 first launched so pre-orders mean nothing.

At the end of the day what matters is how much software people are buying a year or two after launch.

Online
#39 Posted by The_Nubster (2090 posts) -

@CosmicQueso said:

@The_Nubster said:

@Klei said:

This fat jerk is the guy who gave AC2 4 out of 10? Jesus. I know I shouldn't judge, but goddammit.

Edit : This fat jerk is right.

AC2 was popular, so he hated it.

Wii U is unpopular, so he loves it.

And both ways, he's still a jerk!

Wii U is so unpopular that it's sold out for preorder everywhere. No wonder it's so unpopular! No one can preorder a unit!

Sorry, I'll change my wording. AC2 was critically acclaimed, Wii U is under intense scrutiny by a large demographic. You're right; it is pretty popular. However, it isn't sitting right with a pretty huge number of people.

#40 Posted by Gamer_152 (14066 posts) -

I love what Sterling does, especially with the Jimquisition, but I find myself only half agreeing with him on this one, if that. I think his point about smart TVs having the ability to usurp consoles as the all-around media box is a very relevant and plausible point, and one that I've not seen other people talking about. I do however, believe that it may be a while before we see smart TV adopted by the general public in that way and that smart TV manufacturers will have to really be at the top of their game to get a service equal to or better than consoles as a standard in homes in the relatively near future. Really though, I've said it before, but I still think that the success of the Wii U greatly hinges on a situation where it's very difficult to predict the outcome. Whether casual gamers want another console for them after the Wii and whether what the Wii U is will really appeal to them are things we just have no idea about. This is completely uncharted territory.

I'd also like to mention I find it sad the way some people in this thread are talking about Sterling. We (rightfully) become defensive when someone insults a staff member on Giant Bomb over their weight, but I see people doing the exact same thing to him here. Additionally, it's both irrational and saddening to see people getting mad at Sterling or trying to define him solely by that one time he liked an Assassin's Creed game less than other people did.

Moderator
#41 Posted by EXTomar (4641 posts) -

I am not sure what I think about this. I personally think the Wii U long term will depend on if they can sell the features to casual players. So far these launch games don't do that very well let alone do it well for casual players.

#42 Edited by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

I'd also like to mention I find it sad the way some people in this thread are talking about Sterling. We (rightfully) become defensive when someone insults a staff member on Giant Bomb over their weight, but I see people doing the exact same thing to him here. Additionally, it's both irrational and saddening to see people getting mad at Sterling or trying to define him solely by that one time he liked an Assassin's Creed game less than other people did.

While that's the only example people seem to be citing, he has in the past displayed a trend of giving generally well liked games below average scores. I'm not saying I agree with some of the more severe vitriol on display here, but it is possible to not like him because of his reviews and be nice about it.

#43 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

He's got kind of a point. Honestly I think the xbox might be so caught up in the media center features that games don't become as important. If they throw in their cards for something that might not work, then they aren't getting the potential media box customers and they're losing gaming customers at the same time.

#44 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

The problem with his whole argument is that the apps on TVs not only are shit right now, but will most likely be shit for a long long time. Add on to that the facts that TVs are still going to be improving into 2k and 4k resolutions, people don't want to buy a new TV every 4 years, and the cost of actually implementing and making these apps run effectively and efficiently would dramatically drive the cost of TVs up, his argument probably falls flat.

Maybe, just maybe, there will be a future where are TV pretty much does everything, but I think by that time we will just be able to paint our walls with a special coating that will act as a screen, or screens will basically be portable and foldfoldable like paper. If either one of those things happens, a screen will just be a screen, and the content will come from another device.

Edit: The real thing that is actually smart, is the playing of a game while the TV is doing something else. That is literally the only feature that will make Wii successful. I can imagine that being a big deal with families that only have one or two TVs in the house, and many kids.

#45 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

@CosmicQueso said:

Wii U is so unpopular that it's sold out for preorder everywhere. No wonder it's so unpopular! No one can preorder a unit!

I'm not convinced that this isn't yet another false demand strategy.

When will people pull their heads out of their ass on this? There was no false demand or holding back units. Get the fuck over it.

#46 Posted by Gamer_152 (14066 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

@Gamer_152 said:

I'd also like to mention I find it sad the way some people in this thread are talking about Sterling. We (rightfully) become defensive when someone insults a staff member on Giant Bomb over their weight, but I see people doing the exact same thing to him here. Additionally, it's both irrational and saddening to see people getting mad at Sterling or trying to define him solely by that one time he liked an Assassin's Creed game less than other people did.

While that's the only example people seem to be citing, he has in the past displayed a trend of giving generally well liked games below average scores. I'm not saying I agree with some of the more severe vitriol on display here, but it is possible to not like him because of his reviews and be nice about it.

I'm aware that many people's problems with Sterling are to do with a wider trend within his reviews; not just with him giving more popular games lower scores, but also occasionally giving less popular games higher scores. From what I've seen most of Sterling's reviews don't veer that wildly from the norm though, and people have just chosen a few choice targets to define him as a writer or even a human being by. If you're someone who's voicing that you and Sterling seem to have different opinions on games, that's perfectly fine, if you even want to say Sterling's a bad writer, I'd disagree with you, but okay, no problem there. The thing that I find really worrying is that in many cases people seem to have identified a rare case of a reviewer who has rather unconventional opinions and feel that the only reasonable explanation must be that it's click bait, feel that this is grounds to personally hate the man, or think it justifies them in throwing insults his way. I think that says something rather worrying about how the gaming community reacts to dissenting opinions.

Anywho, I do think he's one of the few people coming up with really thoughtful and relevant commentary on the medium on a regular basis. Heck, I'm surprised this is even the Jimquisition that got posted to these forums, I think there are many others where's he's far more on the ball about the issue he's talking about.

Moderator
#47 Posted by solarisdeschain (99 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@CosmicQueso said:

@The_Nubster said:

@Klei said:

This fat jerk is the guy who gave AC2 4 out of 10? Jesus. I know I shouldn't judge, but goddammit.

Edit : This fat jerk is right.

AC2 was popular, so he hated it.

Wii U is unpopular, so he loves it.

And both ways, he's still a jerk!

Wii U is so unpopular that it's sold out for preorder everywhere. No wonder it's so unpopular! No one can preorder a unit!

Sorry, I'll change my wording. AC2 was critically acclaimed, Wii U is under intense scrutiny by a large demographic. You're right; it is pretty popular. However, it isn't sitting right with a pretty huge number of people.

It's probably not even really all that huge, just some pointedly vocal "enthusiast" jerks who make up a tiny fraction of the video game market.

#48 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

@algertman said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@CosmicQueso said:

Wii U is so unpopular that it's sold out for preorder everywhere. No wonder it's so unpopular! No one can preorder a unit!

I'm not convinced that this isn't yet another false demand strategy.

When will people pull their heads out of their ass on this? There was false demand or holding back units. Get the fuck over it.

Source?

This is the biggest conspiracy in the gaming world and a total pile of excrement. Volume is connected to production runs and a company is not going to go to the expense of putting in extra equipment that will become redundant at some point, so they take a point of production they believe will be the norm. Then supply/demand kicks in. It is standard business procedure for everything. The only way to avoid it is to delay the launch until suffice stock build up has occurred.

Unless you are going to produce evidence that what you say is fact, them I am afraid it is you that has her head up their arse.

#49 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

He made one of many points that explain why the Wii U isn't the worst thing ever like everyone seems to believe it is. We shouldn't be so quick to write it off because as enthusiast gamers I think our predictions about a systems success are a little warped by our opinions. I mean did anyone think the Kinnect was going to do anything but bomb? Cause I sure didnt.

Also what's with you guys calling him fat? Attacking his personal appearance is unwarranted, and not classy.

#50 Posted by Brodehouse (9792 posts) -

File a grieving report. Opposing player is too British.

Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.