Ken Levine's Not a Wii U Developer Yet, Despite Press Conference Appearance

Posted by patrickklepek (4573 posts) -
Levine's throwing some cold water on expectations of an Irrational-made Wii U game.

Part of Nintendo's pitch for Wii U at E3 this year was the new appeal its new console would have for the kinds of players who felt pushed to the outskirts during Wii's mainstream popularity. Nintendo's focus had been on making hits in the vein of Wii Sports, not Metroid Prime.

Having BioShock designer Ken Levine appear in a promotional video at Nintendo's press conference, discussing the possibilities of Wii U, certainly suggested a new direction was possible.

In an interview with IGN, however, Levine made it clear that his excitement for what's possible on Wii U doesn't mean his studio, Irrational Games, has already started working on anything for Wii U.

"Just to be clear, there are no plans," said Levine. "I'm not saying it can't happen, but we have no plans to do any games for that platform."

BioShock Infinite is scheduled for a vague "2012" release. The original BioShock had a surprisingly great release in August, a month that's found repeatable success in launching games (like Batman: Arkham Asylum) that might otherwise have trouble fighting through the noise of Call of Duty and other established franchises releasing around Christmas. Nintendo has not committed to a release date for Wii U, either, only saying the hardware will launch after April 2012.

There's time for BioShock Infinite to find its way onto Wii U, but it's also not a surprise that Levine's remaining noncommittal.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4573 posts) -
Levine's throwing some cold water on expectations of an Irrational-made Wii U game.

Part of Nintendo's pitch for Wii U at E3 this year was the new appeal its new console would have for the kinds of players who felt pushed to the outskirts during Wii's mainstream popularity. Nintendo's focus had been on making hits in the vein of Wii Sports, not Metroid Prime.

Having BioShock designer Ken Levine appear in a promotional video at Nintendo's press conference, discussing the possibilities of Wii U, certainly suggested a new direction was possible.

In an interview with IGN, however, Levine made it clear that his excitement for what's possible on Wii U doesn't mean his studio, Irrational Games, has already started working on anything for Wii U.

"Just to be clear, there are no plans," said Levine. "I'm not saying it can't happen, but we have no plans to do any games for that platform."

BioShock Infinite is scheduled for a vague "2012" release. The original BioShock had a surprisingly great release in August, a month that's found repeatable success in launching games (like Batman: Arkham Asylum) that might otherwise have trouble fighting through the noise of Call of Duty and other established franchises releasing around Christmas. Nintendo has not committed to a release date for Wii U, either, only saying the hardware will launch after April 2012.

There's time for BioShock Infinite to find its way onto Wii U, but it's also not a surprise that Levine's remaining noncommittal.

Staff Online
#2 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

This seems kind of like a non-article. There is only about two or three relevant sentences.

#3 Posted by HBK619 (160 posts) -
@weeman105 said:

This seems kind of like a non-article. There is only about two or three relevant sentences.

Yeah, but Patrick gets to continue his LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG titles for articles.
#4 Posted by Vitor (2821 posts) -

@weeman105 said:

If it was a random developer then I would agree. But having appeared on the promotional video, it qualifies as news, even if it's importance is negligible.

By appearing in that video, he understandably created certain expectations that this addresses.

#5 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

In the year 3000.

#6 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

It seems to show me that Ninty wont at the end cater to "traditional" gamers , so this is only a ploy to get us interested , but until I see hard evidence I won't believe in them ever again.

#7 Posted by YOUNGLINK (548 posts) -

@weeman105 said:

AGREED, almost a non news article. I dont blame Patrick, he was referencing an ign interview for god sakes. I bet if he was conducting that interview he might get a few more nuggets out of Ken. justsayin

#8 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@Vitor: My point is you could cut off the top and bottom of the article and just leave it as

In an interview with IGN, however, Levine made it clear that his excitement for what's possible on Wii U doesn't mean his studio,Irrational Games, has already started working on anything for Wii U.

The rest of it is fluff, especially the talk about Bioshock Infinite. I'm not here to rag on Patrick though, I just think this is a hard tidbit of news to turn into a substantive article. The point is made after a few sentences. I appreciate the information nonetheless.

#9 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

This doesn't surprise me.

#10 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

It sounds like WiiU will just be full of multiplatform games anyway, most likely they will just port games over. Making games "only" for WiiU will just be Nintendo as usual.

#11 Posted by BBQBram (2236 posts) -

Good, I love the idea of the Wii U but nothing should distract from Infinite development right now (and that includes that Bioshock-related game for Vita).

#12 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -

Miioshock?

#13 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

I'm done hearing about the WiiU until we get more firm details on the system and it's games. Not saying the system is bad or good I just don't want to hear about until we get some real information.

#14 Posted by modeps (96 posts) -

It isn't surprising at all, but interesting to hear the confirmation anyway. Basically, this shows that just about everything Nintendo showed at E3 was just for inspiration. The video was taken from existing games running on existing hardware, and even the developers they highlighted may not even have completely bought in.

#15 Posted by Chuck_ (211 posts) -

@HellBrendy said:

Miioshock?

You die now.

#16 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Not really news, but Patrick loves taking small digs at Nintendo where he can, being a mature gamer who enjoys mature games etc.

#17 Edited by ProfessorEss (7368 posts) -
@modeps said:

It isn't surprising at all, but interesting to hear the confirmation anyway. Basically, this shows that just about everything Nintendo showed at E3 was just for inspiration.

Yup, inspiration that may or may not turn into anything more than sales, surprises and potentially disappointment. 

Nintendo, unlike Sony and Microsoft, are in a in a pretty sweet position where they can say whatever they want and will never be taken to task when these promises aren't delivered upon - so why not promise the sun moon and stars.
#18 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

And not a single fuck was given that day.

#19 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2382 posts) -

A lot of this is starting to feel like wii U news was just more excitement from nintendo.

#20 Edited by MeatSim (10853 posts) -

I had no plans for playing this game on Wii U anyway.

#21 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

Not really news, but Patrick loves taking small digs at Nintendo where he can, being a mature gamer who enjoys mature games etc.

It's not really news but Patrick is the biggest defender of Nintendo in the Giantbomb office, I would't generalize him that much.

#22 Posted by fjor (300 posts) -

dont like bioshock games anywayz

#23 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2219 posts) -

I'm confident Ken Levine can come up with something. I'm hoping the Wii U is successful enough to attract talented developers like Irrational Games who can come up with original compelling games and not just ports.

#24 Posted by afrofools (1346 posts) -

Has any wii game yet been rational? /jk

#25 Posted by Sinful (211 posts) -

Still disappointing me Pat and your "Forumesqe" news.

#26 Posted by redlitez76 (107 posts) -

Ken said what he said at E3 because he is a money whore and nintendo paid him to say that. either that or he did too much coke and couldn't shut up. either one may be the truth.

#27 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

Your Sheldon Copper act ran out of gas long ago buddy.

#28 Posted by GoldenGlove (54 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
@Gabriel said:

@ryanwho said:

It's not really news but Patrick is the biggest defender of Nintendo in the Giantbomb office, I would't generalize him that much.

You are BOTH bad at extracting non-present narratives from Patrick's work! His opinion of Nintendo is pretty obviously the EXACT MEDIAN!
#29 Edited by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

Ken Levine is a darn handsome fellow ^_^!

#30 Edited by HellBrendy (994 posts) -
@ChuckNoLuck said:

@HellBrendy said:

Miioshock?

You die now.

I can't. Way to many puns to make on videogame titles. 
#31 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -
@Meatsim said:

now I have no plan for playing this game ever.

fixed :]

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.